Author Topic: 2000 Tacoma V6 - Lifts kits what IS the best and what is just ok ?  (Read 2592 times)

Barfot

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 16
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Hilux homepage
Hello everybody !

I have just sold my 37" 1990 Hilux and purchased a 2000 Tacoma SR5 V6 Xcab. This is very special here in Norway since it have not been normally imported by Toyota.

Yesterday I tried on some different wheel combinations and fond out that 33x9,5 ob 8x15" White Spoke rims with ET-20 did rub. 235/85-16 on standard old Hilux rims 6x16 with RT0 did not rub, but was just about to rub.

ET0 means that the rim is just as wide outwards as inwards (backspacing in the area of 3,25), ET-20 means that senter of rim is 20 mm outwards. We normally do not use the Backspacing measurement here in Norway.

But - for lift kits I see that most companies deliver blocks or add-a-leaves for the rear doing a lift in the area of 2-2,5".
Up front I see various solutions with 1 part block, 2 parts block and even adjustable coilovers to get a lift in the area of 2-2,5"

Using longer shackles I will only gain a 1" lift in the rear and that is not enough if I lift the truck up front 2". 
I do not want to use lift blocks so what is your opinion about the add-a-leveas ? Which supplier is to supposed to deliver the best product ?

Allpro Offroad do deliver a complete 3" rear kit with new leaf springs but do anybody know how this actually is working on road and with having larger paylodas on the truck ? I guess it will work very well off road, but I'm mostly concerned about payload and on road.
I also see that OME deliver complete new rear springs, any opinions about them ?

And for the front is those polybush spacers (for example from Daystar) a ok solution to lift the truck ?

Its mostly a on-road truck this one, but should be able to do "green and yellow" tracks offroad, included trips to Iceland with complete camping gear (maybe also a camper on the bed) for 2 persons and offroad driving in those remote mountain areas up there.

Looking forward to receive your advises !!

HOODLUM

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Male Posts: 81
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Wrecking Crew
    • View Profile
    • rightcoast4x4.com
The OME is rpobably the better of them. They are expensive but you get a nice ride while lifting your rig as well. The only other company I've used for newer trucks is Cornfed suspensions Dave uses a sold billet spacer that has a inner lip that sits inside the coil to prevent pop-out.They use an Add-a-leaf for the rear and you can upgrade the shocks to Bilstiens as well. The only other advise I can give you right now is if you lift your taco more than 2" get the front diff drop spacer kit it will help out a lot when re-doing the alignment.
99 TACO 2.7 4CYL  HP d-60 front d-70 rear 5:13's and detroits 63" chevy rear springs second gen rears up front.

http://rightcoast4x4.com/

Barfot [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Hilux homepage
Thanks !

OME do have a very good reputation here in Norway as well, just need to figure out the part numbers and I will ask for a quote from one of our local dealers here in Norway.

I have done more investigation now and found out :

32x11,5-15 on 10x15" rims with ET-38 do rub quite much

32x11,5-15 on 7x15" rims with ET0 do not rub at all and makes 0,5-0,75" clearing to the body. Those 32" were pretty much worn out, but even new 32" BFG AT should just go clear. Even sidewall did just go under my small rubber fender flares.

31x10,5-15 ob 8x15" rims with ET-20 did not rub, but cleared with a scream... These did my rubber fender flares clear the pattern, but the sidewalls did go outside.

So if nobody comes up with a good offer for 265/70-17 and 8x17" rims with ET0, then I will go for the 32x11,5-15 on the 7x15 rims... I guess :clap2:
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2006, 01:54:43 PM by Barfot »

jertruax

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Check out www.ttora.com. Lots of people with lots of different lifts. I personally have Sway-a-way 2.0's in the front and deaver 7-leaf springs with a one inch extended shackle in the rear. With 32x 11.5 inch bfg mtr's. They they have rubbed only a handful of times under full HARD compression. If you want to go cheap get a body lift at www.4crawler.com

Barfot [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Hilux homepage
Thanks. Body lift is out of the question... Its no idea of raising only the body and let the frame stuck down there :-)

Which rims with what offset do you use for your 32" ?

Seems like I will go for a budget lift with 2" spacers up front but are still not sure what is a ok solution for the rear.

I will get some 7x15" alloy rims with ET-10 and probably go for 32x11,5 on them now.

Barfot [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Hilux homepage
Wondering if anybody have anything to tell about http://www.toyteclifts.com/Basic.html lift kits.

Some suppliers are splitting their front lift spacers in 2, with one part between the spring and the seat and one part over the spring seat. In that way the spring will not be pre-set so hard. What is the benefit of eiter way to do this ?