Author Topic: Truck died on way to work (22RE), need suggestions  (Read 2196 times)

Nor-Cal Toy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Truck died on way to work (22RE), need suggestions
« on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:14:52 AM »
Hey Guys-

I have been working on get a high idle down to normal on my 86 22RE 4Runner.  I changed out my throttle body and cold start injector yesterday, and the thing was running great.  I fired it up this morning with no problem.  It ran for about 5-8 minutes. Then when I was taking off out of my apartments, I saw the temp guage sort of jump up and down a little and the thing died.  I tried to start it a few times.  It would crank like crazy, finally start and die in about 2 seconds.  I had to leave it alone and get a ride.  Any ideas?  I have plenty of gas in the tank.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks guys.

toynorcal

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 96
  • Male Posts: 435
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Easyline"
    • View Profile
If it was  running before, you should look back over the work you just did. Also may have got a bad CS injector. If you don't find anything obvious, try putting the old CS injector back in.

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
you got an air pocket in the cooling system when you changed throttle bodies, and it's freaking out the coolant temp sensor and idle air control circuit as the truck warms up.  Bleed the air out of the cooling system (maybe get a coolant "spill-free" funnel from pep boys- we use them at work all the time to bleed cooling systems.  It attaches to radiator filler neck and allows you to fill up the funnel and run the engine until all the air burps out, without making a huge mess) and report back!

:beerchug:
Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

Nor-Cal Toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Ryan-

Thanks for the tip.  It ran well for about 2 days before the problem.  Is it possible that the problem you are talking about would just pop up today?  Also, what exactly does the coolant temp sensor do?  I'm, wondering it it could be part of my original high idle problem.  It still idles as high as 2000 rpms at start-up.  thanks again bud.

John

Crawler677

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 324
  • Member since Oct '05
  • BRRAaappp!
    • View Profile
Ryan-

Thanks for the tip. It ran well for about 2 days before the problem. Is it possible that the problem you are talking about would just pop up today? Also, what exactly does the coolant temp sensor do? I'm, wondering it it could be part of my original high idle problem. It still idles as high as 2000 rpms at start-up. thanks again bud.

John

idk if this is related , but it doesnt seem 2000 RPM is that high when you first start,   my 5vzfe idles around 2250 when i first start it when its cold... seems normal to me
'99 SR5/TRD Tacoma w/5vzfe. SAS'd with 64" diamond axle (w/ long superset & ARB). about 5" of lift, 305/75 x16 BFG KM1's. Soon to come: 1.5" more lift (6.5"), 35 to 37" tire, undecided at this point., 63" F/F diamond rear, Marlin 4.7 tacobox.

Nor-Cal Toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hey guys-

I decided I'm tired of working on it, so I took it to a shop.  I'll let you know what he finds out.  Thanks for the tips.

Nor-Cal Toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Got the truck back.  Not too much damage.  The reason the truck was dying was the tach wire connected to the coil was shorting out.  The thing that cost me was having my throttle position sensor replaced.  I could not get rid of a high idle, and it was the position sensor.  The old one couldn't be adjusted because it was so gunked up, so I put in a new one.  Thanks for all your replies.

TrikeKid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 782
  • Male Posts: 165
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
idk if this is related , but it doesnt seem 2000 RPM is that high when you first start, my 5vzfe idles around 2250 when i first start it when its cold... seems normal to me
My 22R does the same, drops to about 1100 when it's warmed up.
85 Xtra-Cab- stuff and things.