Author Topic: GRRRRRR!!!!! Peeest Off about Tranny.............  (Read 1576 times)

FatAzzRunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -191
  • Male Posts: 448
  • Member since Jul '02
  • Kansas, Flexin on cowpatties
    • View Profile
GRRRRRR!!!!! Peeest Off about Tranny.............
« on: Feb 24, 2006, 10:05:04 PM »
Well, I am already aggrivated cause I tore my tranny and all that out when I was building my dual cases this week cause I thought I would put in a new flywheel and clutch since I have been beating on this setup for 3 years, I just "KNEW" it would need replaced.   :shake_head:    I was WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I compared my NEW clutch to my old one, it looks almost identical in the wear but only a little dirty.  so, anyway, when I was draining my tranny to drop it, I  had a piece of silver colored metal come out on my magnetic drain plug.   :yikes:  :thumbdown:   I thought, O.K., this isnt too bad, one piece of metal and the oil coming out still looked like the day I put it in 3 years ago!!!   :thumbs:   Well, I stood the tranny up on the small end for a day and a half and went out today to look on the rag I had under it to catch oil.....................there were probablly 4-5  SMALL pieces of silver colored metal on the rag.   :smack:  :mad:

Now, I am worried cause I dont want to stick the tranny back in and have it go out on me in the mountains of Colorado when i go on that trip.  I have had NO problems with it grinding or whining or anything else, it shifts great still.  I dont  know if it is shot inside or close to it or not.

MY QUESTION NOW...........If I crack the tranny open to inspect the gears, will stuff fall apart, or will it all stay in the places that it should be in there?  I dont want to tear this apart and have gears or anything get lost,  or fall out as I have NEVER rebuilt a tranny and dont want to have to pay to do it if the condition is not TOO bad.

My buddies all tell me to restab it and run it like it is, you know, if it hasnt given me any problems then dont worry about it.  I just dont want to have to pull the tranny again in 6 months. 

The reason I am SOOOOOOOO bothered by this whole deal is I have the money to buy the 6 stud knuckles and hysteer setup once it comes in or rebuild my tranny, I dont have money for both.  I  REAALLLLLLLLY want the steering though as I am fixin to setup hydro assist.

« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2006, 04:18:37 AM by FatAzzRunner »
85 Runner, 5" All-Pro Extreme Lift, Complete Marlin T-Case with new TS 4.7 gears, Super Birfields(Longfields), 5:29's, Detroited front, Spooled rear, 36" TSL's, Bikini top.

Yes, Livin in Kansas sucks azz!!

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
this might sound kinda messed up, but the truck can drive without hydro assist steering, it isnt going anywhere without a tranny
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

FatAzzRunner [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '02
    • View Profile
True.  But like I said, it has been getting the hell wheeled out of it for 3 years and driven occasionally on the street to work and around town and it doesnt act like it has any problems what so ever.

If I would have not drained the oil out of it to remove it and put on a new clutch, I would have kept driving it like that and never known about the metal stuff in it.

:dunno:
85 Runner, 5" All-Pro Extreme Lift, Complete Marlin T-Case with new TS 4.7 gears, Super Birfields(Longfields), 5:29's, Detroited front, Spooled rear, 36" TSL's, Bikini top.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
and possibly destroyed the tranny.   yes  you can pull the traNNY APART,  MOST OF IT STAYS  together as long as you dont take anything loose from the center bearing support
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Call a local tranny guy and see what he's got to say!  I would put it back in and change the oil every couple of months to see if anything more comes out.  If you do have more shavings come out just plan on a rebuild next year! If not then run the piss out of it!   Like ya said that it's only on the trail most of the time anyway!  If it was my DD I would tear it apart.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -75
  • Male Posts: 504
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
You are 1/2 way there you have it out, have it checked out.
2008 Dodge Diesel  (Cummins Rule)
6.7 manual quad 8 foot bed H&S delete, banks air box
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

FatAzzRunner [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '02
    • View Profile
 yes  you can pull the traNNY APART,  MOST OF IT STAYS  together as long as you dont take anything loose from the center bearing support

K.  You said MOST of it stays together.  If I do not take anything loose from the center support what will fall out or not stay in place??

If it will ALL stay together, then I will pull it apart myself and look through it and clean it out really good.  If things will fall out or off a shaft or anything else then I will probablly just run it till it breaks.

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
you should be able to pull the 2 housings off without anything falling apart. if somthing does then you have problems ! . do not touch anything in the center section though since that has a ton of detent springs and retainers to keep yer stuff together
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

FatAzzRunner [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '02
    • View Profile
So, just to get it straight, I can remove the bolts in the red box and SAFETLY examine in inside of the tranny??

Sorry about the stupid questions here, I have just never gone into the drivetrain this extensively

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
yes sir.  theres a little bit more to it but yes.  id suggest getting a book that explains how to tear down the tranny.. i know theres a few things you need to do but cant exactly remember what... has to do with the shift rail and collars
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

RustyToy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 481
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
what are those lil silver pieces? one came out my trany when i got it 4 years ago, and the trany is still jamming. not for long i think but i have an extra. what are those? some have told me they are some sort of spacers? 
I'd like to quit thinking of the present as some minor insignificant preamble to something else~~~~~

FatAzzRunner [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '02
    • View Profile
I had heard they were gear teeth.   :yikes:   That cant be good but like I said in my 1st post, I have been thrashin on the current setup for 3 years and havent EVER had a lick of trouble with it.  No whining noises, no grinding, no anything.   :dunno:

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -75
  • Male Posts: 504
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
As I recall the only thing you will see with removing those bolts will be the overdrive gears.
2008 Dodge Diesel  (Cummins Rule)
6.7 manual quad 8 foot bed H&S delete, banks air box
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R