Author Topic: 81 head with EFI  (Read 1961 times)

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
81 head with EFI
« on: Jan 17, 2006, 09:47:33 PM »
OK... I went through Pirate for about an hr and couldnt find a straight answer from anyone. I read use only 82- 84 to work with my 81 block, then I read 82 and 83 only. So I want to know from someone, preferably with first hand experience, if there is anyway I can put my 84 Celica GT-S EFI intake onto my 81 head? At least I was told its the original engine, but who knows. It may be newer. But, can I just drill out the holes I need and tap them or do I need to get a new head? Not looking for links from pirate or any other website unless its actual information or from a toyota tech or something.

Thanks!
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Re: 81 head with EFI
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2006, 10:10:54 PM »
Not sure if this will help, but there is some good info here: http://www.yankeetoys.org/black900rr/EFI.html
http://dune.globe-net.net/~jbercaw/mikes_project.htm

On a side note, I read on Wild Yotes you can use anything with an 81-84 head can get the EFI conversion, not fact, just read it.
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2006, 10:17:05 PM by MiniSimp »

lilbuddy [OP]

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2006, 10:17:13 PM »
It should help for other things but didnt see anything on the heads. Thanks for looking though

EDIT: Thanks for sayin about WildYoats. The thing is with what people type is different from other people. Thats why I was specific on what im looking for, but just seeing that an 81 head will work, it makes me more comfterable about using my head.

GET IT!!!

supratruck

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 416
  • Member since Dec '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2006, 06:51:56 AM »
I easy answer is no, not on an '81 head unless it was replaced at some point. The early 22R head had two versions that I've seen.   The EFI manifold uses a slightly different bolt pattern as your already aware.  In '81 the truck and Celica got the 22R, '82 the Celica body changed, '83 and '84 Celica GT and GTS recieved fuel injection. '85 new Laser block released,head and block not interchangable with earlier parts. EFI standard on the last year of RWD Celica. First full year EFI available on trucks.

I personally have owned an '82 and '83 Celicas, Tha head on the '82 only had the carb bolt pattern, while the '83 had both. If I remember correctly there a boss extensions into the cam area where the EFI bolts go in to keep the oil in.  I will post photos of both the '82 and '83 heads this weekend it will make it more clear.

lilbuddy [OP]

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2006, 10:57:53 AM »
I easy answer is no, not on an '81 head unless it was replaced at some point. The early 22R head had two versions that I've seen.   The EFI manifold uses a slightly different bolt pattern as your already aware.  In '81 the truck and Celica got the 22R, '82 the Celica body changed, '83 and '84 Celica GT and GTS recieved fuel injection. '85 new Laser block released,head and block not interchangable with earlier parts. EFI standard on the last year of RWD Celica. First full year EFI available on trucks.

I personally have owned an '82 and '83 Celicas, Tha head on the '82 only had the carb bolt pattern, while the '83 had both. If I remember correctly there a boss extensions into the cam area where the EFI bolts go in to keep the oil in.  I will post photos of both the '82 and '83 heads this weekend it will make it more clear.

Sweet that is what im looking for! So in other words, I can only use an 83 or 84 head to put directly on my 81 block?

GET IT!!!

supratruck

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 416
  • Member since Dec '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2006, 02:35:52 PM »
I snagged a photo of a dual bolt pattern head..

the first picture is of a carb only head. the second carb or EFI.

I'm not sure when Toyota started using the newer casting of if they used it on the trucks at all. They also may have used the newer casting on the trucks but not drilled the other holes. in any case this is not the kind of mod that you would want to do on the truck. it should be left to a machine shop

Also I've read that the EFI uses a different camshaft then the carb model.