Author Topic: Anybody watch Xtreme 4x4 today?  (Read 17374 times)

Matty

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 875
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
Anybody watch Xtreme 4x4 today?
« on: Jan 08, 2006, 02:07:49 PM »
wellll they had the preview for the new season, and they showed the new builds that they were going to be doing.  I think it was an FJ60 and if i remember correctly a '92 xtracab pickup with a bad 3.0 in it.  loooks like it could be kind of coool. :yesnod:

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 433
  • Male Posts: 460
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody watch Xtreme 4x4 today?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2006, 02:11:27 PM »
yeah they said they are getting rid of that motor, i hope they put a yota motor in it and not some 350 or something.

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2006, 02:39:12 PM »
yeah they said they are getting rid of that motor, i hope they put a yota motor in it and not some 350 or something.

350's are ghey...toy motors are for real men
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2006, 04:38:09 PM »
extreme 4x4's is  ghey...

fixed it for you  ;)

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2006, 06:21:31 PM »
I think they're definately gonna gay both of them up.  If they were being done on trucks then they might have a chance, but on extreme........fuhget about it.  And that girl seems cool and all, but somebody should tell her that some people look good in low cut jeans and some people................
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2006, 08:18:20 PM »
350's are ghey...toy motors are for real men

but 302's are better!
what time is the power block. i was up at 11:30 mountain time this morning and it wasnt on?
Im an OG

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 433
  • Male Posts: 460
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2006, 08:25:59 PM »
personally i like 360's  :love:  better, but to each his own 

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2006, 08:30:13 PM »
personally i like 360's  :love:  better, but to each his own 
dont think thats in a yota
Im an OG

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2006, 08:59:01 PM »

Xtreme 4x4
Next Show Time: Saturday January 14, 1:00 PM (ET/PT)

This series covers 4x4s, how-to projects, extreme off-road events, and off road lifestyles all hosted by real enthusiasts with real world experiences.

Xtreme 4x4 Upcoming Episodes
Saturday, January 14 @ 1:00 PM
"Pro Comp F150 PreRunner"

Sunday, January 15 @ 12:00 PM
"Pro Comp F150 PreRunner"

Saturday, January 21 @ 1:00 PM
"Gorilla IV"

Sunday, January 22 @ 12:00 PM
"Gorilla IV"
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2006, 01:41:53 PM »
Ok, so did anybody watch today?  That guy is either a complete mindless fool or feels like he has to say everything they build is great.  They put a 6" lift on a new f150 for prerunning and went out and beat on it a little.  He kept saying how great the ride was, how it never bottomed out and felt like he was riding in a hovercraft...BS!  Anybody watching that show or them driving it could see that the front had too light of compression valving and too much rebound.  There was no progression to the front suspension, it would instantly dive down and bottom out hard, even though he kept saying it wasn't bottoming.  The rear was too stiff and had too much rebound also, cause when the front end was diving around the rear was pogoing all over the place.  I just wish they could actually be objective instead of being forced to say how good everything is when it clearly is not, cause that only makes them look worse.  They even had the pro comp rep there watching them drive it, and if I were him I would have had to make the call for some more r&d to get it evened out better, but then again I guess that doesn't matter for mall crawlin.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2006, 08:57:32 PM »
Ok, so did anybody watch today?  That guy is either a complete mindless fool or feels like he has to say everything they build is great.  They put a 6" lift on a new f150 for prerunning and went out and beat on it a little.  He kept saying how great the ride was, how it never bottomed out and felt like he was riding in a hovercraft...BS!  Anybody watching that show or them driving it could see that the front had too light of compression valving and too much rebound.  There was no progression to the front suspension, it would instantly dive down and bottom out hard, even though he kept saying it wasn't bottoming.  The rear was too stiff and had too much rebound also, cause when the front end was diving around the rear was pogoing all over the place.  I just wish they could actually be objective instead of being forced to say how good everything is when it clearly is not, cause that only makes them look worse.  They even had the pro comp rep there watching them drive it, and if I were him I would have had to make the call for some more r&d to get it evened out better, but then again I guess that doesn't matter for mall crawlin.

thats why trucks is the shiat! stacy will hamer the flop out of something and tell you it sucks
Im an OG

unclejpl4x4

• Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2006, 10:13:08 PM »
i was stuck undar me/& friends truck   i missed them all
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads

Ian from Xtreme

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2006, 07:32:24 PM »
Ok, so did anybody watch today? That guy is either a complete mindless fool or feels like he has to say everything they build is great. They put a 6" lift on a new f150 for prerunning and went out and beat on it a little. He kept saying how great the ride was, how it never bottomed out and felt like he was riding in a hovercraft...BS! Anybody watching that show or them driving it could see that the front had too light of compression valving and too much rebound. There was no progression to the front suspension, it would instantly dive down and bottom out hard, even though he kept saying it wasn't bottoming. The rear was too stiff and had too much rebound also, cause when the front end was diving around the rear was pogoing all over the place. I just wish they could actually be objective instead of being forced to say how good everything is when it clearly is not, cause that only makes them look worse. They even had the pro comp rep there watching them drive it, and if I were him I would have had to make the call for some more r&d to get it evened out better, but then again I guess that doesn't matter for mall crawlin.

Wow, a bit harsh but thats fine.  Was that truck great yes it was, considering I pre-ran the course we took it on with Robby Gordon's old trophy truck (now the pro comp corr truck)  and it did work great!!

Was the back end a bouncing, sure it was, but what would you expect from a bolt on suspension system out of a box, would a full on custom link setup with coil overs and bypasses have worked better of course it would. 

The '91 is actually part of a two truck build show where we are going to put together two matching toyotas, one with a solid axle swap and exo cage, built for trail rides and crawling, and the other with Total Chaos long travel set up and fiberglass bedsides, as well as front end.  I think right now they will both keep there Toyota engines unless the V6 is too far gone, then it might get a Vortec, we have one laying around.....

unclejpl4x4

• Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2006, 07:35:20 PM »

The '91 is actually part of a two truck build show where we are going to put together two matching toyotas, one with a solid axle swap and exo cage, built for trail rides and crawling, and the other with Total Chaos long travel set up and fiberglass bedsides, as well as front end.  I think right now they will both keep there Toyota engines unless the V6 is too far gone, then it might get a Vortec, we have one laying around.....

1. sweet
2. when ?

Ian from Xtreme

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2006, 07:42:44 PM »
The show will air later this season, we it is part of the second half of the year.  We will actually be starting them this year adn finishing them next....  The FJ 60 is being cut up as we speak into a back halfed trail buggy.  The formula toy build was awesome it will air in a couple of weeks, so stay tuned you guys asked for Toyota builds so we brought a bunch.

Just try not to be too much of a web wheeler about the show.

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2006, 08:43:43 PM »
Who would put 10 grand into a new body for a tow rig?  I really didn't pay atention after i new how much that damn body cost.  the Gorilla is gonne be stupid.  Why would they do a coil spring swap on it also?  All they have to do is get better springs and be done with it.  but nope. 

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2006, 08:52:11 PM »
saw that and went  WTF ?!  whats with the extremely short arms? its gonna blow monkey spunk  with them at that steep of an angle. hope you redid that  using longer links..   because those thangs were almost straight up n down !  that would ride like hell.. atleast run a long arm kit if yer gonna use crappy dodge geometry.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

Ian from Xtreme

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2006, 08:54:55 PM »
Who would put 10 grand into a new body for a tow rig? I really didn't pay atention after i new how much that damn body cost. the Gorilla is gonne be stupid. Why would they do a coil spring swap on it also? All they have to do is get better springs and be done with it. but nope.

Yoiu ever drive a solid axle truck from one ocean to another?  Plus the leaf springs on the full size GM's play havok with your approach angle, just have a look at Colorado K5, a coil spring swap is becoming a more popular conversion.

10K for a new body on the tow rig?  Did you see the body we started with?  If you could walk out of the truck without opening the door would you not want to get a body job?   That body rocks!!!!  It sets in the warehouse beside a Hemi Cuda and more people ask about it than the Muscle Car.

Ian from Xtreme

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2006, 08:57:40 PM »
saw that and went WTF ?! whats with the extremely short arms? its gonna blow monkey spunk with them at that steep of an angle. hope you redid that using longer links.. because those thangs were almost straight up n down ! that would ride like hell.. atleast run a long arm kit if yer gonna use crappy dodge geometry.

Yeah the I noticed that when I watched the show as well, the camera angle I think really did exagerate that angle.  They sit at teh same angle as a lifted 1500.  I checked before we burned everything in solid.

It's funny you guys bash that truck, it is one of the most popular projects

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2006, 09:00:05 PM »
just because  they sit the same  as a lifted one doesnt mean that its right though ;)  not bashing the rig .. i like the idea  but i think  it could have been gone about differently.. but thats just the rig builder in me.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2006, 09:03:49 PM »
damn ein your on top of it tonight :beer:  are you gonna take the f-toy to the hammer for the tinbenders run?  I'd like to check it out

Ian from Xtreme

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2006, 09:06:54 PM »
What are the Dates?

I can look into it, if it fits into our schedule we might be able to go.  Problem is getting out the West takes time....

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2006, 09:08:17 PM »
april 21st-23rd.  do it

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2006, 09:15:47 PM »
Wow, a bit harsh but thats fine. Was that truck great yes it was, considering I pre-ran the course we took it on with Robby Gordon's old trophy truck (now the pro comp corr truck) and it did work great!!

Was the back end a bouncing, sure it was, but what would you expect from a bolt on suspension system out of a box, would a full on custom link setup with coil overs and bypasses have worked better of course it would.

The '91 is actually part of a two truck build show where we are going to put together two matching toyotas, one with a solid axle swap and exo cage, built for trail rides and crawling, and the other with Total Chaos long travel set up and fiberglass bedsides, as well as front end. I think right now they will both keep there Toyota engines unless the V6 is too far gone, then it might get a Vortec, we have one laying around.....

:rofl2:  Kudos for joining to defend yourself, I had somewhat of a preminition about that after posting.  If I come off as brash it's only because I'm fairly straight with my views, and not to be mean.  I just hate when hosts hafta be tools, and hoped you both weren't feeling pressured with a still fairly new show.  I still say that the truck did look like it was wallowing and pogoing, but to be fair I wasn't in the truck either so...I would go so far as to say the truck did appear to work well, and obviously better than stock but to say it was great.  As skinny mentioned, that is one great thing about Stacy is if he builds something and it doesn't seem to work well he says it, but I don't totally agree with everything he does either.  Congrats on getting probably one of the most bitchin jobs around too, that had to feel good!

I look forward to seeing the toy builds and like the idea of the total chaos suspension too.  That's the kinda stuff I tune in for, something a little different than every pretty boy has his parents buy for the truck they gave him.  I (and probably a lot of people) like being surprised when I tune in and the builds don't go the way I expect, so I think it will be interesting to see what you guys do with the toys.  It might be kinda cool to see somebody put some effort into trying to get some good outa that 3.0 rather then just upgrading, but then again it's marketing for the masses so that's not to be expected.

As for being a web wheeler, there's nothing better to do when you don't have the funds or the skills for the builds you wanna do.  Then again, I've said for a long time that I'm not a wheeler, I just want a more capable truck for when I'm hunting or fishing and get in a little too deep, or get bored and wanna hit a trail.  I'm no fabricator or mechanic...well, a lowly boat mechanic but that doesn't count, but I am confident in my ability to pick....ok, I evidently can't fabricate this sentence!  For the life of me it won't go from my brain to my fingers. 

I'm glad you joined the board, but sorry this is what compelled you to join.  I'm sure you will have things to share with others, tech and fab tips, so don't let my diarrea of the mouth turn you away.  Look at it this way, now you have somebody to hate right off the bat!
RIP KYOTA

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #24 on: Jan 24, 2006, 09:26:55 PM »
wait until you see the F-Toy build
Already saw it, nice rear shackle angle! :talkingn:
And where were all the Marlin parts?

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jan 24, 2006, 09:28:01 PM »
Ok, I just noticed you didn't just join, but actually joined june 22nd!  So this must mean that you were one of the umpteen lurkers I've seen watching the board.  If Stacy is lurking, COME OUT MAN, YOU FRICKIN ROCK!
RIP KYOTA

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jan 24, 2006, 10:56:30 PM »
Yoiu ever drive a solid axle truck from one ocean to another? Plus the leaf springs on the full size GM's play havok with your approach angle, just have a look at Colorado K5, a coil spring swap is becoming a more popular conversion.

10K for a new body on the tow rig? Did you see the body we started with? If you could walk out of the truck without opening the door would you not want to get a body job? That body rocks!!!! It sets in the warehouse beside a Hemi Cuda and more people ask about it than the Muscle Car.

I guess i come from different ways of doing things.  I just can't see spending 10 grand on a body that is going get wheeled anyway.  I didn't see the body before it was torn apart so i guess i can't really say anything.  I try and do stuff cheap because i am a poor college student (like most).  that is why i can't see putting that much money into a tow rig that has the potential to get beaten up.  I do look forward to seeing the f-toy build though.  and i do agree that Jessie is smoken!

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jan 25, 2006, 12:01:17 AM »
I just can't see spending 10gs on a body period.  I wouldn't dump 10 grand in the body of my toy if it were rotting away.  But I don't have a big tv budget either. 
RIP KYOTA

Ian from Xtreme

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2006, 05:38:46 AM »
Already saw it, nice rear shackle angle! :talkingn:
And where were all the Marlin parts?

I was worried about that as well to be honest, but it ended up being very similar geometry to Linker's rig, and as I saw always.  Before you stand in a corner and judge something, watch how it works first you may end up being wrong.  It really works well!!!! Marlin was not involved in that build for some "reasons" that don't need to be discussed, but we are going to be using his parts on the "twin Toy" build up later this season with the matchin 91's.

10K in the big picture really was not that much money for that body considering it looks as good as a 150K Hummer.  The real point of this truck is to prove that if you spend your time and money building a rig like this, you get more than if you just go out and buy an H1

ZukIzzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -113
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jan 25, 2006, 06:08:21 AM »
I was worried about that as well to be honest, but it ended up being very similar geometry to Linker's rig, and as I saw always. Before you stand in a corner and judge something, watch how it works first you may end up being wrong. It really works well!!!! Marlin was not involved in that build for some "reasons" that don't need to be discussed, but we are going to be using his parts on the "twin Toy" build up later this season with the matchin 91's.

10K in the big picture really was not that much money for that body considering it looks as good as a 150K Hummer. The real point of this truck is to prove that if you spend your time and money building a rig like this, you get more than if you just go out and buy an H1

Ian Just a question. Why leave a 10 bolt front under the tow rig when 10 grand is small change for this project? D 60s are not that much $$$. I like the show, build what you want we will watch is as long as nobody has to get married at the end or there is no singing.

Wayne