Author Topic: Anybody watch Xtreme 4x4 today?  (Read 17250 times)

Trunkz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 79
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody watch Xtreme 4x4 today?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 25, 2006, 04:02:25 PM »
hey ian,
while your around the board here about a month and half ago you used a hydrolic bender on your cheapie jeep build and i missed the info on it, i think you said it was like 850$ or something.. can you give a bit more info or a link?
thanks
Mike

Ian from Xtreme

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jan 25, 2006, 05:36:35 PM »
Ian Just a question. Why leave a 10 bolt front under the tow rig when 10 grand is small change for this project? D 60s are not that much $$$. I like the show, build what you want we will watch is as long as nobody has to get married at the end or there is no singing.

Wayne

Axles come next.... D60 front, and 14 bolt ff rear

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jan 25, 2006, 05:43:53 PM »
I just can't see spending 10 grand on a body that is going get wheeled anyway.  I didn't see the body before it was torn apart so i guess i can't really say anything. 

The body probably looked better than yours  :gap:  The doors look good though.

Not much point in dropping  :twocents:  for  :bling: just to  :driving:  the Con at night while  :boozer:  :drunk:

(My story might not be 100% accurate since I wasn't there)
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jan 25, 2006, 05:43:54 PM »
hope you planned ahead with the 60 being thicker tubes and a larger scrub radius  than teh 10bolt  :greengrin:  tires + large scrub radius = lots o rubbbbin
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #34 on: Jan 25, 2006, 05:51:26 PM »
I guess i come from different ways of doing things. I just can't see spending 10 grand on a body that is going get wheeled anyway. I didn't see the body before it was torn apart so i guess i can't really say anything. I try and do stuff cheap because i am a poor college student (like most). that is why i can't see putting that much money into a tow rig that has the potential to get beaten up. I do look forward to seeing the f-toy build though. and i do agree that Jessie is smoken!
this from a guy that uses abunjee strap to hold whats left of his doors on :rofl2:

:welcome:  Ian, can you post a pic of the f toy here ,  i assume it was this past weekend, i was at Gilmer Tx Barnwell Mountain having fun
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jan 25, 2006, 05:53:02 PM »
The body probably looked better than yours :gap: The doors look good though.

Not much point in dropping :twocents: for :bling: just to :driving: the Con at night while :boozer: :drunk:

(My story might not be 100% accurate since I wasn't there)
:yupyup:  :smoke:
:rofl2:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #36 on: Jan 25, 2006, 06:18:13 PM »

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile

Willy Mammoth

• Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jan 25, 2006, 06:24:46 PM »
All this ragging on the show won't solve anything.

This could be a good thing for Marlin and him selling more parts.

It doesn't look good to have his board ragging on the show.

There is nothing wrong with discussing the builds they are doing, but picking on Ian and Jessi should not continue.

I respect the way Ian is handling this and would like to see others follow his lead.

Lets try not to get too critical and maybe the show will change to suit your intrest.

Remmember not everybody is into Toyota's and wheeling. Some times you just need to do what will attract the intrest of the common Joe.

Keep your stick on the ice
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jan 25, 2006, 06:29:41 PM »
yea  if they did a entire season of toyota builds  the chevy ford and dodge guys would be :down:  and  :rivers:

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jan 25, 2006, 06:33:16 PM »
and btw,   the gorilla  will be a almost perfect replica of a H2,  for $10,000

because thats all a H2 is,  is a Hummer body on chevy truck drivetrain

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Jan 25, 2006, 06:40:56 PM »
I'm a toyota fan thru and thru, but I can really appreciate what's going on with xtreme TV.

They're building vehicles that many people across the country are building, thinking about building, or dreaming about. 

A beat down old crappy 'burban is gonna be a killer tow rig with a twin turbo duramax and allison tranny.  A good looking updated body, killer interior, and nice smooth ride will make a tow rig many of us would be envious of.  My old IDI diesel ford gets the job done, but coil springs and twin turbos sure would be nice!

Their cheap jeep project really hit the nail on the head for wheelers across the country.  Believe it or not, many people elect to wheel a factory solid axle rig, and Jeep's been doing it for 50 years.  Most 'yotas worth wheeling require a SAS and serious fab skills to make trail worthy, while most folks can build a jeep in a weekend and have just as much fun as we do.  (just not as much STYLE  :eyebrow: )

Ian said they'd be building a yota or two this year, so good for them.  They've got a lot of bases to cover, and I think they've done a great job so far.  Ian shouldn't have to defend the shows projects here- lets be supportive of their efforts!  Shows like this that promote safe responsible wheeling keep trails open for all of us.  Since Trucks is without a host right now (y'all know Stacey left, dontcha?) and is in reruns, Xtreme is the reason I watch Spike TV on Sunday mornings.

Ian and Jessi, I'll buy the  :beer:  if you're ever in New Mexico!  Keep up the good work!

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Jan 25, 2006, 06:51:00 PM »
Sidebar: I haven't read through this entirely and I don't watch the show so no judgement there, but I have got to say.. lets keep it respectable. It appears Ian is holding his own :thumbs: Great to have you here, man!

You might notice certain unnecessary parts of some of the prior conversation has gone away, lets not go back there.
Have some respect for our guests, thank you.  :turtle:  :turtle:
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Jan 25, 2006, 06:54:11 PM »
No way Glen, the body alone is $10k, the whole rig is gonna be quite a bit more.  And about the time I was sayin WTF about that 10 bolt I do remember them saying they were only using it for mock up.  I sorta agree with Mark about the whole not bashing the show thing, but on the other hand maybe it can be taken more as constructive criticism?  I don't want any confusion on whether or not I think they should build only toyotas either, that would make for an all too repetetive program, plus I enjoy watching builds on all different types of rigs.  I'm just not so into the ultra high dollar "this is way beyond the average joe" builds, considering I thought the concept when they first started was to do realistic builds that most people might or could do, such as cheap jeep.  I don't agree totally with everything Stacy does, like the wagoneer he lifted like 6" without moving the springs above the axles, but that's his perogative.  And for the record, project copper head is one of the most bitchin builds I've ever seen!  I just wanna see more realistic builds on some of the shows on occassion, but I don't pay for the builds.....or do I?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Jan 25, 2006, 07:00:45 PM »
OK reading through Nate's post I agree... make the show more realistic... and I guess, Nate, you pay for it if you buy anything they advertise during the show. But I never watched it, so I don't know if they advertise.
 :disturbed:
Carry on.  :biggthumpup:
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

Willy Mammoth

• Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Jan 25, 2006, 07:01:41 PM »
It isn't about how cheap you can build a tow rig for, but more this is a custom rig and cost isn't a consideration.

If you consider I have 20k in the Mammoth and can only do 50 mph on the hwy it would seem stupid too.

I could have bought a stock Rubicon.

There is only one Mammoth and that makes it worth every penny.

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Jan 25, 2006, 07:12:31 PM »
I am not going to talk differently to anybody (except marlin and crew) just because they are a host of a show, I believe in equality.  I may sometimes come off as brash, and I do sometimes mean it to be taken that way

fosho.. i dont think just because someone hosts a tv means they  should be treated any differently.    its all constructive critisism.   theres alot of things in their builds that i didnt like. but thats because ive been doing things different ways.  im not an arm chair fabricator  like 99% of the people on here.  i worked in a fab shop for 2 years building 4x4s day in and day out desiging custom suspensions  and building all kinds of other things.  it all  a matter of opinion.

anywho.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Jan 25, 2006, 07:13:27 PM »
And what happened to Stacy?  Is that show even gonna be worth watching without him?  His enthusiasm and charisma are part of what made that show great!  And as for the tow rig being different, yes it is, but I'm willing to bet there are a lot more Bummers running around than WM clones.

Sidebar: everybody stop posting while I'm typing/thinking, I can't keep up!  I can't even catch the shortbus.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Jan 25, 2006, 07:17:06 PM »
And my :twocents:
If they didn't want your input, they would not have registered on this board and responded to that thread. They deserve a lot of respect for the fact that they really care about the wheeling community, I know I am impressed of that!
But they are also here to hear what we think, not to be bashed, they can be bashed anywhere, I'm sure... This is a big pro Marlin opportunity to show them who we are too.

Where is the Mammoth?

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Jan 25, 2006, 07:17:12 PM »
heres the info on Stacey from Trucks:

http://www.staceydavid.com/feedback.htm

Ryan

'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)

Willy Mammoth

• Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Jan 25, 2006, 07:20:48 PM »
fosho.. i dont think just because someone hosts a tv means they should be treated any differently. its all constructive critisism. theres alot of things in their builds that i didnt like. but thats because ive been doing things different ways. im not an arm chair fabricator like 99% of the people on here. i worked in a fab shop for 2 years building 4x4s day in and day out desiging custom suspensions and building all kinds of other things. it all a matter of opinion.

anywho.

People are just people to me too and I have been known to go off as well, but that doesn't mean it is rite.

You don't have to agree with what someone is doing, but we shouldn't criticize them for there ill fated ways. Rather help them see how it could be done better.

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Jan 25, 2006, 07:22:35 PM »
And I might say, a person in the spot light is more likely to be targeted for critisim then the average joe in the same situation.

Where is the Mammoth?

ZukIzzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -113
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Jan 25, 2006, 07:23:31 PM »
Axles come next.... D60 front, and 14 bolt ff rear

Cool I saw you mock up the spring pad on the 10 bolt thought "What a waste, 800ft lbs 4to1 transfer reduction and an axle I could break with my 1.3 zuk"

Thanks
Wayne

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Jan 25, 2006, 07:37:12 PM »
become a mod.. you don't have warnings anymore

Or use mozilla and they don't work, it goes through but there are several posts from when I first started typing.  And, you and Mark said enough for me to just say, rather than commenting on each of the things I agree on I'll just say that I pretty much agree with everything you both posted.  Also, I have been known to type up a quick response to somebody's post that I didn't agree with, and during my review prior to sending it(this could also explain why you'll rarely catch me making gramatical errors) I decide it's too harsh and either delete it or eliminate what I don't wanna say.  And I've been known to hit the remove button a time or two after posting something. 
And Ryan, thanks for the link, I'm glad to know that.  I'll be very interested to see what the new show will be, and hope it will not be on speed or any of the other channels I don't get!  I hope it is still a 4by based show too, I like Stacy but am not totally into cars.
RIP KYOTA

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Jan 25, 2006, 07:46:51 PM »
No problem there Nate.  Hopefully Stacey will continue his powerwagon build- I really want to build one someday, so his project has a little extra meaning to me.

Ryan

Ian from Xtreme

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Jan 28, 2006, 05:16:23 PM »
Most of you guys have hit the nail right on the head!!!  If I didn't want to hear what you thought of the show I would not be here, or I would be here under another name talking all sorts of good things about the show but that wont help the show in the long run.........you guys are nothing compared to the beating I took on another board, but most of them switched to suggestions and feedback and it honestly helped the show....

It is my job to plan the projects, and sorce the parts for all the builds and Marlin's parts will be paert of a couple of upcoming shows.....it just wouldn't be right for him not to be there.

As for Trucks I know you loyal fans of that show are going to miss Stacey and so are we, I was shocked and sad when he choose to leave, and not participate in the show anymore.  But if someone wants to pursue another path you can't stop them, but there are new shows in the works with a couple of great hosts (one of them is the guy who actually painted all of Stacey's projects)  and the builds on that show are now heading in a more attainable direction, stuff that the viewer could do themselves.

That is a pretty long post sorry, but keep the comments coming and if you want to bash me personally, your choice, John Cappa did it in his magazine then didn't have the Cojones to back it up!!!!!

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Jan 28, 2006, 05:22:34 PM »
:bowdown:  hey Ian  dude, i watch when i can,  I saw the one with Jessi  in the FJ60   i love that old iron
so  keep up the good work,  i want to find a 62  and put a cut 40 body with a 1st gen bed,  so it will be like a fj45 pickup

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Jan 28, 2006, 05:24:18 PM »
tell Jessi she could come back now and then  we'll put a leash on Bubba  :rofl2:

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Jan 28, 2006, 05:25:30 PM »
you guys are nothing compared to the beating I took on another board,

That wouldnt be Pirate 4x4 would it? lol.  We won't bite too bad. :welcome:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #59 on: Jan 28, 2006, 05:36:27 PM »
i missd todays show  :down:

it's not my fault i swear :tantrum:
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly