Author Topic: Question about schooling  (Read 6730 times)

rEdnECkwHeE1eR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -68
  • Male Posts: 1,430
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Still tipin'
    • View Profile
Question about schooling
« on: Dec 28, 2005, 05:43:20 PM »
Right now I am in whats called Independent study (home school baicly) Under a charter network, and I am doing well in that. But sometimes it is hard for me motivate myself enough to do my work because I feel that with job I wanna do a diploma wont realy help me. The job that I see my self in is building what are called camera stabilizers like this but I think ours are better and cheaper

Well with the old maneger/owner the buisness took in over $20,000 a month sometimes, and he was a horrible buisness maneger, well just recently my friend nate took over the buisness and we are trying to catch up like 25 back orders, but hopefully when we catch up we will be putting out about 6 rigs every 3 weeks starting off @ $2000 per rig, well any way he told me that he would like to pay me about $12 an our when he can which is pretty good being barley 18 years old.

Also for now we are going to be building these out of his garage at his house but soon we want to get a big 2000 square foot shop and also build 4wds on the side.

Any way a few have my friends have just taken their GED so they can get HS over with and move on to other things, and this is starting to sound apealing to me I mean I just don't think that I will need A diploma(a charter network diploma is not even as good as a normal HS diploma anyway AFAIK)

So I wanted to ask how many of you guys have jobs that you wouldn't have needed a HS diploma for and are doing just fine?

Any other Imput would be helpfull also.
Thanks, Jeff :headscratch:
Liquor up front
Poker in the rear

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Question about schooling
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2005, 06:06:43 PM »
Dude, get your diploma at least.  If you don't want to go to college, that is up to you, but you really should get your GED or HS diploma.  You can test for the GED early, so you might wanna look into that route.  Its one of those things to think about, if the business you are looking at folds, even if you go to work for the same type of company elsewhere, they will probably want you to have at least a GED.  There are sucess stories however,

I used to work for a guy who didn't have anything.  He started out laying floor (vinyl and wood) for another contractor.  He got his liscense, and now he lays floor, owns 2 (I think) flooring stores, and has a buttload of money.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

mudguts

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1114
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Meat of the Gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2005, 06:13:31 PM »
   Merry Christmas Jeff  :wave: The little time it takes to get your diploma or GED is worth it. Sure, there are people out there who've made their billions without one, but it's just a good thing to have. It at least shows that you've had the responsibility to complete a basic requirement of a young adult.

Good luck  :thumbs: 

:nerv:                                                                                               :turtle: I love T.I.T.S. :turtle:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2005, 06:49:46 PM »
Ditto on what these guys are saying.  And dude, you're being very narrow minded and only thinking of the short term if you're seriously considering this.  Markets drop, interest fades and trends change demand.  Just because things are going well now is by no means a precursor for what can and will happen down the road.  You need to have an education, and just as important is to have some proof of it other, than just your word.  Also consider this, this business is run out of a garage!  Need I say more?!  Life is long term man, and you've already put so much time into school it would be pretty dumb to look for a quick easy out "just to be done".  Education is king man!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2005, 07:51:48 PM »
Get that diploma it may not mattter now but who knows what you'll be into down the road. You are so close to getting it just keep going, it'll be worth it.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

cruzila

• Go go cruzila!
  • Hawk
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,848
  • Member since May '02
  • MC20/21 Toybox #002 2.28 = 154:1
    • View Profile
    • MTA
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2005, 09:36:39 PM »
Oh god don't give up now. Get the damn diploma. Go to college if you can too. Work if you want along the way, but don't give up school. It is not about what you learn but the paper they give you at the end. I know people that have done well with only HS or less, but they are the EXCEPTION.

Money may look good now, but you need to look to the future, hard to do at 18.

Scott
If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Friends of Eldorado National Forest

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2005, 11:40:28 PM »
The first two replies missed the point. Jeff is wondering if he should just settle for the GED instead of a Diploma.

Look, you are young, staying in school another 1 or 2 years doesnt mean jack compared to the next 60 years of life.

Look at me, I am already 25 years old and I am just becoming a Junior in College. I mean, I got my HS Diploma back in 1999 for crying out loud. I should be a doctor by now! My friends always tease me by saying that I am a Doctor who is only getting a 4 year degree.

I have not graduated because #1 I am lazy and I dont do my homework like I should #2 I changed my major three times.

But when I look back on my life from HS, I realize that if I had just gone straight to a University and done the 4-year program, I could already have my Engineering Degree right now and I would be starting my 2nd year at my new job somewhere, I am sure making at least 60k a year.

I would KILL to have these 5 years back. 5 Years to me back then was like a drop in the bucket. But right now 5 years means a lot to me.

Dang dude, just stay in school, then go to college, do night classes if you have to, do your best because you live in California and you can get a butt-load of finicial aid if you keep your grades up in College, and then before you know it, you will be 25 years old and you will finally be starting your life.

My goal right now is to start my life when I am 28. I should be finished by then.
Right now I am still a student and I have not done anything with my life, if you think about the big picture of it.
So I figure that I have lost 3 years to those students who actually tried to get good grades, and it makes me sick every time I think about it. I should already have my own house and a new car now.

For you, dont try to start your life out when you are 19 or 20, even if your friends are making 15 or even 20 dollars an hour.

20 dollars an hour is only like 33 or 34k a year. WOW. IS THAT ALL?
See man, 20 an hour sounds like a dream job to you right now, right? You could build a buggy, and have a daily driver too. But you wouldnt have your own HOUSE with much free time. And then you will work hard for the next 5 years and still be in some apartment, and for me, when I make more money, I seem to just buy more stuff, and then I have more bills I have to pay, and its like I am the same as I was before I made that extra money.

There must be some line that we cross over where we can put extra money away even though we are still fulfilling our hobbies and free time activities. I dont know at what point that is for me. I know that $20/hour sure as hell aint enough for me to build a truck, rebuild my MR2, buy new clothes, buy a new house, have some new shoes and some nice sun glasses, and still take strange women out to resturants and blow $200 a night "just because".

But thats what school can get ya man, just surf it out. By the time you are 25 you can be making 35+ an hour AND doing what you like to do with your free time and money.

:twocents: from a young punk,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2005, 12:07:29 AM »
I have debated many times weither or not to finish HS. I decided to transfer out and go to a technical college and fiinish up high school there, if you can do something like this its a good deal, I dont pay any money to go there other than the gas to go 2 towns over to go to school.
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

TrackVino

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 1,038
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Rocking and Rollin with Marlin!!!
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2005, 12:47:44 AM »
Dude, I gotta get me one of these!!!
I do lots of video and made a simple hand held jib to get me thru, cant afford one of these. Is there anyway you can scan a copy of the plans for me? Probably not, but doesnt hurt to ask. These things are cool. Promise I wont give them to anybody else!

By the way, finish school. Im 33 and still in school, get it done while your young. Dont want to be this old with a family to support and go to school in the evenings.

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2005, 01:03:57 PM »
I don't care how old you are, if you want to stay at the top of the heep the learning never ends. Education is crucial, especially in this day and age. It is dog eat dog out there, and the more education you have the better your odds are of playing with the big dogs.

Don't give up.

Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

BUBBA

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Mar '05
  • this sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2005, 02:46:52 PM »
Man what I would give to be in your shoes again.When I turned 16 I left h/s,transfered to the local community college and got my g.e.d. I then went on to take auto tech.I graduated there when I was 18.I had already gotten a job working in a small garage that mainly dealt with imports before I graduated and was making about 8 bucks an hour.As graduation got closer I started looking for jobs at local dealerships,my instructor wouldn't help me with finding one and I wasn't having much luck on my own.
At this same time the old man that owned the garage I was working at decided to sell it.The guy that purchased it offered to pay me 10 bucks an hour to stay with him and since I wasn't having any luck with the dealers I decided to stay on with him.Well it didn't work out,he was a lousy business man and the garage finally closed.I've worked for several garages since that but just finally got tired of not making any money.Now I work in a wire plant making 12.50 an hour,it's good money for the area I live in,but it's not where I wanna spend the rest of my life.I have a wife and 3 kids and a mortgage,I just don't have the time or the money to go back school.I would love to be a engineer,but unless I can do something online,I don't see that happening.

All I can say is just make absolutly sure that's what you wanna do with the rest of your life.It only gets harder the older you get.It may sound like great money now,but will it LAST.
87 4runner 350 with custom dent package. 
My budget beater

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2005, 02:53:58 PM »
Man, you guys are starting to sound like my parents :yikes:  I guess I am too :smack:

I'm 21, and I'm in my 3rd year of college. I've got a lot of GE done at a CSU, and I'll graduate with my AA in Fire Tech this spring.  All along the way, I keep hearing, stay in school, get your degree.  I really don't want to to do that, even though it is probably the best thing.  You're gonna be learning you're whole life, stay in school as much as you can.  You may find bigger and better things, or you may work doing what you're doing right now for the rest of your life.  However, the more schooling and knowledgwe you have, the more marketable you are.  Stick with it dude, even if you don't want to.  right now I'm making $145 an hour, which is awesome, but its a drop in the bucket if you start adding in a house, cars, kids, etc.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

BUBBA

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '05
  • this sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2005, 03:06:08 PM »
right now I'm making $145 an hour
dammmmmmmm I wanna job with you.
My budget beater

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2005, 03:09:32 PM »
dammmmmmmm I wanna job with you.

Dang it!! stupid big fingers!!!

$14

-Ronald Reagan

BUBBA

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '05
  • this sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2005, 03:12:33 PM »
Dang it!! stupid big fingers!!!

$14

lot's of uses,typing aint one of em. :gap:
My budget beater

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2005, 03:19:44 PM »
Just for reference, I have an engineering degree similar to what BigMike is currently heading for.  In my family it was always understood that my sister and I would finish college and my parents were willing to sacrafice to make it happen.  I was very blessed and am indeed thankful.

In general my advise is to maximize your education as soon as possible.  I know a lot of people that take "breaks" from school and never start again.

If your education level, whatever level, allows you to be employable over the long term doing something that you want to do, then you are finished.  For example, Blackdog, as a firefighter, will have the opportunity for a career and that is the key.

A lack of education can really limit you in the future, but it is not a garuntee.  I have a friend that is constantly looking for a job because there is no stability in "unskilled" labor.  It is up to you to determine how longterm your current plan is.
If you got into Mechanical engineering or possibly became a machinist, you could likely be more involved in your chosen field.

Don't set yourself up for future problems by giving up your education to have an excellent job now only to find out later that the market wasn't stable and the only thing that you can make money out (are good at) no longer provides a decent income.

Do you understand what I'm saying?
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2005, 03:26:14 PM »
I agree, most people who take breaks, usually don't return.

After high school I had no idea what I wanted to do.
I took a break.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 29, 2005, 03:45:35 PM »
I agree, most people who take breaks, usually don't return.

After high school I had no idea what I wanted to do.
I took a break.

i took a break for a couple of years due to a disability.  After this, I realized that I was going to have to use my brain instead of my hands to get through life so I went back to school.  It is hard when your young to pick "one thing" that you are going to do for the rest of your life.  It took me many years to make a decision. Just do it.  Even if you don't use what you've learned everyday, the knowledge that you pick up will make you a better person. The older you get, the more important education becomes. Education is a never-ending process.  You will be learning til the day you die.  Make sure you pick a career that will have an opportunity for advancement or expansion.  This spring I will be finishing a hotel and restaurant management degree and I will finish my culinary certification next spring.  It only took me 10 years to decide but now I am REALLY happy!
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

rEdnECkwHeE1eR [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Still tipin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 29, 2005, 04:00:53 PM »
Yeah I am not thinking about droping out I was just wondering what the difference would be between getting a GED or finishing off HS under a charter network.

And as far as the buisness being ran out of a garage that was my point, if it makes $20,000 a month out of a garage with a bad manager imagine what it will be with a good manager a nice big shop. Oh and he said $12 an hour soon not for the rest of my life. I also mentioned that we wanted to build 4wheeldrives on the side for extra income. Acctually right now we are finishing up putting Dana 60s F150 springs and 42s under a scout for a guy. We got tons of compliments on our work. This is really what I want to do I don't care about having tons of money, I mean I do want a house to live in and eventually a wife and kids but I dont care about having tons of money.
Liquor up front
Poker in the rear

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #19 on: Dec 29, 2005, 05:41:48 PM »
Whatever you decide to do don't just walk away, get the GED first and don't get so disapointed if you don't pass. Don't quit school until you do. I have learned over the years it doesn't matter what you learned in school, but that you have that piece of paper that said you did complete HS. Mrs. W is right, you will learn more after school than you ever did while in school but it comes down to having that diploma or GED Certificate. Hell I can't even remember what I was taught in school, but without it I wouldn't know how to spell, read, write or add and subtract and the only proof you will have that you did is that piece of paper.  :thumbs:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

rEdnECkwHeE1eR [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Still tipin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Dec 29, 2005, 06:07:56 PM »
Dude, I gotta get me one of these!!!
I do lots of video and made a simple hand held jib to get me thru, cant afford one of these. Is there anyway you can scan a copy of the plans for me? Probably not, but doesnt hurt to ask. These things are cool. Promise I wont give them to anybody else!

By the way, finish school. Im 33 and still in school, get it done while your young. Dont want to be this old with a family to support and go to school in the evenings.

Sorry I dont think we can do that but we are selling them super cheap right now About $1600 compared to normaly $2100, Oh and btw that is not ours that is our competition our damn web site is down, so many things are screwed up right now sorry :dunno:
Liquor up front
Poker in the rear

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #21 on: Dec 29, 2005, 06:22:36 PM »
Jeff,  Ive kinda followed you the last couple years,  see about getting your GED,  if you pass it  , and i bet you can then your done, but at least get the GED, 
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #22 on: Dec 29, 2005, 07:23:22 PM »
Do you have any cut sheets & specs of your steady-cam? A buddy of mine does DVE and would love to get his hands on one for a reasonable price.

rEdnECkwHeE1eR [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Still tipin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Dec 29, 2005, 08:59:48 PM »
Do you have any cut sheets & specs of your steady-cam? A buddy of mine does DVE and would love to get his hands on one for a reasonable price.

Our wibsite is down for some reason, like I said allot of things are messed up right now. I'll let you know when it gets back up :thumbs:
Liquor up front
Poker in the rear

rEdnECkwHeE1eR [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Still tipin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Dec 29, 2005, 09:01:18 PM »
Jeff,  Ive kinda followed you the last couple years,  see about getting your GED,  if you pass it  , and i bet you can then your done, but at least get the GED, 

Yeah I know I am not gonna drop out. It would just be a waste
Liquor up front
Poker in the rear

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Dec 30, 2005, 09:31:56 AM »
:thumbs:   have a :beer:  ok maybe a rootbeer  :haha:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Dec 30, 2005, 10:20:57 AM »
Yeah I am not thinking about droping out I was just wondering what the difference would be between getting a GED or finishing off HS under a charter network.

And as far as the buisness being ran out of a garage that was my point, if it makes $20,000 a month out of a garage with a bad manager imagine what it will be with a good manager a nice big shop. Oh and he said $12 an hour soon not for the rest of my life. I also mentioned that we wanted to build 4wheeldrives on the side for extra income. Acctually right now we are finishing up putting Dana 60s F150 springs and 42s under a scout for a guy. We got tons of compliments on our work. This is really what I want to do I don't care about having tons of money, I mean I do want a house to live in and eventually a wife and kids but I dont care about having tons of money.
  2 words: Business management

I know it sounds boring, and it probably is, but if you are thinking about getting into business for yourself or hoping to manage a business taking business managment courses is the best thing you can do for yoursef.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Dec 30, 2005, 10:28:10 AM »
she has a good idea Jeff,  i know Nate is going to run it but if your plan grows hes gonna need a partner that knows good business practices

but the best business practice of all is make your customers happy,  :eyebrow:

:pimp:

rEdnECkwHeE1eR [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Still tipin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Dec 30, 2005, 10:59:13 AM »
she has a good idea Jeff,  i know Nate is going to run it but if your plan grows hes gonna need a partner that knows good business practices

but the best business practice of all is make your customers happy,  :eyebrow:

:pimp:
Yeah that is a good point, He is super stressed out right now, I'm sure it would help if some of the responsibilitys would be shared
Liquor up front
Poker in the rear

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Dec 30, 2005, 12:07:45 PM »
Marlin will be the first to tell you the best thing he ever did, years ago when his business was floundering, was get a good business manager.

Where is the Mammoth?