Author Topic: Story behind your truck  (Read 5504 times)

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
Story behind your truck
« on: Dec 18, 2005, 07:58:47 PM »
Hey guys I want to know the stories behind your trucks. Where you got it, did it run, how much did you pay for it, why you picked it, and a breif description of what you have done to it.

My truck is a 1980 toyota shortbed. I bought it from a football player at my HS who got it from his tweaker uncle. I got it for 350 cash and towed it home behind the F250. I bobbed the bed 15.5 inches and cut the front fenders. Here are some pics, dont be shy to show your pics too. It was blue when I bought it.
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: Story behind your truck
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2005, 08:14:29 PM »
93 xtra Cab $4000..Got mine from a grandma.  She put 230,000 highway miles on it. Never off road. It became and still is my daily driver. I wheeled it pretty much stock (I added a IFS truss and 31" BFG AT's) for a year.  Then I added a 2" downey lift, shackles, new motor, flatbed, 4.88s, detroit, 33" BFG M/T, and other stuff. If she saw the truck now she'd :sheerterror:

« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2005, 08:42:08 PM by Dirtoyboy »
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2005, 09:05:56 PM »
80 longbed.  Was in the paper for $1000 or 1100, said it ran but ran poorly, had smog legal weber, had 5 matching enkei wheels and decent tires.  I test drove it and it ran like a turd, you had to keep revving it up to keep it going, so I offered $800 and he took it.  It then had 440,000 miles on it.  Bought a carb rebuild kit for $30 and cleaned it out real good and rebuilt it, had my brother tune it a bit, smogged it then we retuned it to be drivable.  Stock height still, stock gearing and running gear.  Will be mixing/matching springs soon for lift then putting on my 35s after I can afford 5.29s.  Gonna build my own bumpers when I can, and hopefully switch to hy steer.
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2005, 10:45:40 PM by kneedownnate »
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2005, 09:59:51 PM »
79 toy first vehicle and i still got it, got it bone stock with 31s ran good i think i payed 1100 for it, now its not so stock any more and its a whole lota fun and a fair amount of broken parts

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2005, 10:56:34 PM »
Found it it in the paper for $3400.  84 SR5 extra cab, 4 inch lift in front, 3 in back, bald 33's, clean paint.

Here it is now.  new suspension, new axles, new t-cases, 2 sets of rims, 3 sets of tires later it looks like this. 

With a few dents and broken parts inbetween.  I don't drive it everyday but it does drive better now then when i got it.  Exept for having no power.

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -33
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2005, 11:07:10 PM »
mine was a WHOPPING $300 dollars. used to belong to crawlerdan. now it's mine, and the buildup thread is in the rig gallery :thumbs:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2005, 11:21:57 PM »
1991 toyota x-cab.  4" procomp suspension, 3" body.  Had a 5.9 dodge ramcharger, was having a bunch of problems, and I wanted a toy, so I sold it.  Good truck, but cost too much.  :hammerhead: 

Now, countless dents, 3 motors, and mucho dinero later, I'm still glad I got my toy.  Paid too much for it, I was stupid :smack: wouldn't have done it for what I know now, but Since I can't go back :dunno:  I'm happy with it, even though it gives me :pokinit: all the time.

Now it is black, and has red sliders

:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2005, 11:32:20 PM »
Which one? :greengrin:

I got my f-250 from a guy in Fresno. Funny story.  I found it in October and fell in love with it.  Contacted the guy and he decided not to sell.  5 months later he had it listed again for more money, so I contacted him and he said there were tons of folks interested but I had a 5 month head start on em so I was first in line :yupyup: He had it listed for 1900, and last minute (the day before my birthday) he calls me up and says $1400 if I come get it that day.. so on my birthday I jammed down there and picked er up :yesnod: :love:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2005, 12:37:42 AM »
Bought my truck, from my club president. He has owned it since 86, he bought it from a former student who bought it new. I bought it because I know it's history from start to present and everything that has been done to it. I know that it got regular maintenance, and that it didn't get much abuse. My club pres. is a retired auto-shop teacher.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

trekker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 206
  • Member since Aug '05
  • crawlin with marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2005, 11:03:45 PM »
i heard about my trekker from a guy that said he knew where a toyota was that was half fiberglass behind a guys house was so i went over there and went in his backyard and there it sat waited around till the guy got home and shot the bull with him and offered 400.00 bucks for it and he said okay. it didnt run but the wiring has been hacked on it at ignitor and it came a transmission and tcase out of 89 toyota 4x4 and the rear axle also  :biggthumpup:
I need a running 22r

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 881
  • Member since Feb '05
  • I named my son Wheeler!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2005, 08:50:30 PM »
Mines an 85, well whats left of it :eyebrow: I traded a 1970 FJ40 for it. :shake_head: Plan were to biuld the FJ but I ran outa money a few months after starting it. And since I am very impatioent(sp) I traded it for the non running rig I have know. I did get another motor for it soon after I got it. And was wheeling and modding it soon after. Here is a recent pic. It's the one on the right.
I don't need a winch, I wheel a TOYOTA!!!!!!!

www.wheelingarizona.com

rockscrambler

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 800
  • Member since May '05
  • the rocscrambler's rock blazer
    • View Profile
    • Home of the rockscrambler
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2005, 09:16:04 PM »
well the one for which I named myself is a 83 jeep scrambler and my brother (not RS)bought it from PickYourPart and  had it sitting at his house in Riverside for quite awhile on a trailer. When he sold his house he no longer had a place to store it and the other 5 vehicles he had so he sold the Scrambler to me for $1700 and now it sits in my driveway waiting for me to fix the smog equiptment problem which is the lack of any at all.
we're born,we roll over,we crawl,we walk,we run,we drive,we install cages,we wheel,we crawl,we roll over,the circle of life is complete.!

"we sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to bring violence upon those who would do us harm" to you I say thank you
87 Chevy K5 V10 tonka truck,87 Toyota 4runner
83 Jeep CJ8,sold-76 Dodge W200 & 87 Ford broncoII

toy84

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -24
  • Male Posts: 21
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2005, 10:50:38 AM »
Well I got mine for free from the wifeys family.  The frame was rotted out and about to break. So I boxed it in with 1/4 plate steel. But it still has a crap load of problems trans is currently out of it. And I am thinking about 3rz swap but wiring scares me.

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 24, 2005, 10:58:31 AM »
i saw my runner on a flat bed on its way to a wrecker and followed it. i asked what the hold was on it, and was tole 1900.00. and for a complete running 1st gen runner thats a great deal, so i gave the guy 2000.00 to tow it home for me. i had intentions of restoring it to stock, and did, theni wanted a baja type 4x4, so i lifted it (ifs) and put 33s on it and a locker and i was fine there, until a freing gave me a dual ultimate transfer case set up with twin sticks......thanks aaron......i couldnt let that go to waist, so began a 3 month buildup that included new suspension, crossmembers, fram mods, a sas using a 97 landcruiser/85 pickup hybrid axle, as well as the 37's and a higher hp motor. and thats where we sit now, a family crawler that will easilly hold 80 on the freeway as well as 1/4 mph up a verticle wall.
best o both worlds i say.

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 24, 2005, 11:01:56 AM »
here it is

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 24, 2005, 11:37:36 AM »
well I origanally had a first gen that I liked alot and bought october o4 it was all stock with 33" exterains.  I built that up quite a bit.  It had high steer, 5:29's, aussielocker, 36" tsls, bobbed bed and duals for maybe a week and a detroit locker ready to go in and then in a stupid accident at 1am on memorial day I went head first into a creek going about 40 and bent the frame and broke a bunch of other crap. about a month before that a very good friend had bought an all stock 86 with a smashed bed and cracked head for $150.  I took advantage of knowing that my friend would never do anything with the truck and bought it for $200 and a broken go-ped.  Right before I bought it he got a new straight bed and some nice seats.  So I swapped in my drivetrain and SAS, blah, blah, blah.  And now 6 months later my truck is smashed up and drives like crap and is waiting for a motor swap.  Here are some pics of my toylife

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 24, 2005, 11:41:01 AM »
the picture of my black truck at the gas staition was the last picture of it in the light and still intact, it was pretty much ready for paint.  The picture of my white truck stock is when I had about $300 dollars into her and was loving every second considering I had so many parts ready to go in along with two other cars for sale and parting out my first gen I knew the 86 was in for a good buildup

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Male Posts: 2,803
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #17 on: Dec 24, 2005, 12:37:57 PM »
Hyena your truck looked like this when you got it?

and now it looks like this ???

man you need to be

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 24, 2005, 12:51:39 PM »
here is the short version, i hydrolocked my custom convertible ford explorer.... i needed a car, bought it form a coworker, paid too much really, but i needed a car that was a little mroe reliable than a $200 pos..... i paid $2k for it, and around here, thats market price....

it was a lowrider when i got it....

now its a little bit bigger ;)

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Dec 24, 2005, 05:56:44 PM »
Hyena your truck looked like this when you got it?

and now it looks like this ???

man you need to be

Don't worry, i have been kicking myself in the ass ever since.  I should have gotten a beat up truck and did one build-up of it.  I would have saved a lot more money and wouldn't have turned a nice truck into a POS.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #20 on: Dec 24, 2005, 06:12:28 PM »
I picked up my 84 from a friend of a friend.  600 bucks, engine in the bed, but it was SR5 and it had 15x10s andgood 31s on it.  (wheels and tires got stolen first night I had the truck)  I used it to remove a telephone pole last night; it was very effective. BTW, anyone have a 2nd gen cab for sale?

rockscrambler

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 800
  • Member since May '05
  • the rocscrambler's rock blazer
    • View Profile
    • Home of the rockscrambler
« Reply #21 on: Dec 24, 2005, 07:13:22 PM »
 :_oops2: sorry to hear that and  :worthless:
we're born,we roll over,we crawl,we walk,we run,we drive,we install cages,we wheel,we crawl,we roll over,the circle of life is complete.!

"we sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to bring violence upon those who would do us harm" to you I say thank you
87 Chevy K5 V10 tonka truck,87 Toyota 4runner
83 Jeep CJ8,sold-76 Dodge W200 & 87 Ford broncoII

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Dec 24, 2005, 09:35:34 PM »
Don't worry, i have been kicking myself in the ass ever since.  I should have gotten a beat up truck and did one build-up of it.  I would have saved a lot more money and wouldn't have turned a nice truck into a POS.

Don't worry HYENA, I did that too :yupyup:  stil kickin myself too.  Also wish I did more research into the 3.0 :headshake:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Male Posts: 2,803
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #23 on: Dec 25, 2005, 04:12:22 AM »
I've got my eye on a 85 beater but the guy don't wanna sell it  :rivers: but it has been parked for a few years and I can wait him out, maybe I can persuade him :bat:

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #24 on: Dec 25, 2005, 12:09:37 PM »
:_oops2: sorry to hear that and :worthless:

as soon as I get back out to my boss' house, i'll get some up.  I got it parked there for now.