Author Topic: Help! What Snow Chains To Run? Any Avice?  (Read 5290 times)

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Help! What Snow Chains To Run? Any Avice?
« on: Dec 16, 2005, 08:47:13 PM »
Hey guys,

I hope this isn't a newb question. I tried searching on here but didnt find alot. I'm from Missouri so I don't know a lot about tire chains.  I'm planning a trip to Colorado with some mild trail riding in February.  I have done some research but have found limited info on what type of chain is best to run (ladder vs. pattern) and I understand cables suck!  What do you guys run and why?  Front, rear or both? Where to source them from? Any input would help. 

Thanks,
Collier
(Dirtoyboy)      :driving:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
Re: Help! What Snow Chains To Run? Any Avice?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2005, 10:42:43 PM »
unless you are dealing with a ton of ice  chains arent going to make that big of a difference than proper air pressure will.   chains will just dig you to china.  a buncha buddies and i have tire pressure down to a science.. depending on what the snow is like and everything
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2005, 03:32:06 AM »
IronClad's right on, the chains will dig down thorugh the snow and bog you down, you want a nice wide footprint that will compact the snow and float up on top of it.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2005, 08:32:36 AM »
yea  colorado gets snow,  they dont get 4 inches of sleet like we do ,  your best to get some simple ladder type chains  but dont use them unless you have a layer of ice on the ground
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

DTB [OP]

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2005, 01:59:19 PM »
 :thumbs:

Thanks for the input guys.  Is there anything different I need to know about fitting chains on 33 or 35" tires? If they are needed is it better to run them front and back or does it depend on conditions? Ive never driven in mountains in the snow, it kind of scares me!  :sheerterror: Everyone in our group is locked up in the rear, one with ARB front, 2 with lockrights in front and 1 truck open in front. 
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2005, 02:04:07 PM by Dirtoyboy »
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2005, 02:25:55 PM »
if you have to run them id run them just on the front first so you will be able to steer and if you have to id toss a set on the back then if you need more traction
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2005, 03:09:47 PM »
the only times i use chains is when there is snow on top of ice or just ice,  4 years ago we had a big ice storm that lasted for 7 days,  we dont have salt trucks,   well we didnt then anyway,  we have a few now,  but if the :pokinit: hit the fan we'd be screwed again

anyway  i wouldnt worry about the snow at all just air down to about 15-18psi and drive careful,   chains will just slow you down on powdered or packed snow
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

DTB [OP]

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2005, 04:19:41 PM »
if you have to run them id run them just on the front first so you will be able to steer and if you have to id toss a set on the back then if you need more traction

For the trails I think I'll just air down a bit.  Don't think it will be a problem. On the road, traction in the rear could be a serious issue for me.  I have an aluminum flatbed that weighs like 3 pounds.  Even on flat ground on snow in 2wd my rear (w/detroit)  always tries to catch up with the front   :thumbdown:  I'm really worried about my rear slipping out at higher speeds and puttin me in a ditch. (I know it sounds pessimistic)  I think I might need to pickup a set for front and rear.  Prismo told me he uses ones that have little pieces of metal (welded on the chain) for better traction? Anyone know where I can order a reasonably priced set.  I dont think many places in MO would sell them
RIP KYOTA

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2005, 04:40:22 PM »
if your rear tries to pass you up sounds like you need to learn to drive..   a buddy can back me up on this too.. the last snow run i went on with him with my truck i was in 4lo 5th gear at about 50 mph ontop of probably 4 feet of snow just plain gettin it   and i was welded front and rear  and i could hold a line no problem. my truck acted like it was open front and rear.   learn to use your gas  and brake :)   chains are for when you come across ice.  in snow they dig to much.  up here in the snow season  we turn the trails into a freeway and race each other.   aint nothin like 65mph ontop of 6 feet of snow  :gap:
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

DTB [OP]

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2005, 05:30:31 PM »
if your rear tries to pass you up sounds like you need to learn to drive.. :gap:

True, IC, I probably do need to work on my driving skills in the snow.  We dont get a lot of it around here.  I think the snow conditions play a huge part. Driving on fresh or crunchy snow is different.   The last time my ass was slipping like that it was on hard packed snow on the street with a layer of ICE under.  I appreciate the input. 

-Collier
RIP KYOTA

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2005, 05:57:42 PM »

For the trails I think I'll just air down a bit. Don't think it will be a problem. On the road, traction in the rear could be a serious issue for me. I have an aluminum flatbed that weighs like 3 pounds. Even on flat ground on snow in 2wd my rear (w/detroit) always tries to catch up with the front :thumbdown: I'm really worried about my rear slipping out at higher speeds and puttin me in a ditch. (I know it sounds pessimistic) I think I might need to pickup a set for front and rear. Prismo told me he uses ones that have little pieces of metal (welded on the chain) for better traction? Anyone know where I can order a reasonably priced set. I dont think many places in MO would sell them
if i was you i would drop that tool box into the bed, so that it sits on the frame,  then ad some weight to the rear, a good heavy bumper and some trail armor would be nice,   and will help you flex better

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2005, 06:13:10 PM »
:dunno:

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8529
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2005, 08:37:35 PM »
For some reason I thought you would be using the chains on the road & not on the trail. I never use chains on the trail myself although I have seen others use them (usually front tires only as mentioned earlier). For me the key to successful snow wheeling is airing down, especially in deep snow. I air down to as low as 3psi to stay on top of the snow.The bigger the tire patch contact to the snow, the better off you are. The Buckshots I was running before would not lose a bead at that pressure, I will see how the MTR's do later this winter. I just kept taking them lower & lower until they finally lost a bead & then went up 2 or 3 psi & ran them there. Your snow is drier out your way so adjust pressure until the tires work best for you in the conditions you have. Different tires seem to work best at different pressures & in different conditions.
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

DTB [OP]

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2005, 09:27:18 PM »
if i was you i would drop that tool box into the bed, so that it sits on the frame, then ad some weight to the rear, a good heavy bumper and some trail armor would be nice, and will help you flex better

Toolbox is big and cant go any lower. Already have rear bumper.  How can I add more weight to the rear.  I was thinking about adding some barbell weights inside the spare. Any ideas?
RIP KYOTA

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2005, 09:54:29 PM »
move your gas tank to behind the rear axle... fill your rear frame section with lead  :gap:  :biggthumpup:
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

DTB [OP]

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2005, 12:23:20 AM »
Thanks Iron Clad :beerchug:
RIP KYOTA

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2005, 07:38:07 AM »
Toolbox is big and cant go any lower. Already have rear bumper. How can I add more weight to the rear. I was thinking about adding some barbell weights inside the spare. Any ideas?
besides the floor of your bed whats keeping it from going lower  :dunno:

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 18, 2005, 04:21:04 PM »
For more added weight get some old inner tubes, and make about four of them say three feet long and fill them with moist sand, and plug off the ends with wooden dowls and hose clamps. And use tie downs to hold them in place at the end of your bed where your spare is now, that will give ya easily 200 to 250 lbs of added weight, and if it's too much slide them forward, or take one off!  And for added traction on ice and snow will be to have your tires cross siped!  The more the tread block is broken up, the better the traction on the hwy when the roadway is wet and icy!  I take my wildcat ext's off in the winter cause they break loose on ice really bad!  I run a excellent tire that has a ton of siping to the tread in the winter!  The pics are below to show the tread difference.  By the way the all season tire does very good in the woods as well as the traction!
I carry chains only for the purpose to get out, our rule of thumb around here is go as far as you can without chains and put them on to get out, or if the conditions get worse on the way out!  Chains can get you in trouble really quick!
I see you run BFG's, most people around here run them and have been know to do very good in the snow, especially on heavier rigs!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

DTB [OP]

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2005, 03:11:44 AM »
when i do need them; which style is better? Ladder or Diamond pattern? I'm assuming the diamond pattern for better lateral traction

:driving:
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2005, 03:17:00 AM by Dirtoyboy »
RIP KYOTA

hudlenutz

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 22
  • Male Posts: 220
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
    • My Page
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2005, 09:26:28 AM »
Get a hot knife and start carving on those muds.  Don't slice on the outer lugs, though, to avoid chunking later on.  The crosslinked tire chains will create less driveline stress and vibration, and give better side-hill traction.  If possible, get chains with the cam-locks on them.  They keep chains really tight, which is a must when wheeling.  I love chains.  They're great for traction on the slippery stuff, but I love low pressure more.  Try both.   :driving:

Also, I usually run my chains in the rear, and they work fine.  I just don't have enought fender clearance at full lock to clear them in the front.

toybuilt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -275
  • Male Posts: 1,116
  • Member since Feb '05
  • toy + chevy = Toy-vie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2005, 09:33:41 AM »
I use Super Swamper's, they seem to work great. If you don't have Super Swamper's I would say that the Diamond patturn would be your best bet.
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road

1983 Toyota Turned Chevy

Treat every day like its your last, because you never know when your time is up. In loving memory of Judstin.

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Male Posts: 792
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2005, 04:20:11 PM »
when i do need them; which style is better? Ladder or Diamond pattern? I'm assuming the diamond pattern for better lateral traction

:driving:

The biggest advantage to the ladder style is that they are easy to repair, or mod.. If you have the cross links and a set of chain pliers, you can replace a broken cross link,  more them around, or add more to fill in gaps in the patten.  I build my chains myself from transport truck tire chains.  They are bulletproof. If you want you can even add cross links between two cross links so it around the curve of the tire not across it.

And the guys are right, they are not for snow. They are for ice. Ice on the road, ice on the lake/river, ice under snow that is not deep enough etc.  That is why the right name for them is "ICE CHAINS".. P.S would you guys be interested in a write up on how I build my own chains?
Well I don't BUILD them from scratch( I could I know how) I start with chains  made for a big rig called "singles"  that fit on steering tires.

cruzila

• Go go cruzila!
  • Hawk
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,848
  • Member since May '02
  • MC20/21 Toybox #002 2.28 = 154:1
    • View Profile
    • MTA
« Reply #22 on: Dec 19, 2005, 04:22:11 PM »
Just put all your extra junk on the back and get on it. It is all about proper throttle control and tire flotation. BFG's are prolly the best snow tire under 35" as well as being a real good all around tire. Run them down as far as 5 PSI and don't worry about it. You can run them at 15 PSI anywhere, street, trail.
If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Friends of Eldorado National Forest

DTB [OP]

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Dec 19, 2005, 04:29:00 PM »
Just put all your extra junk on the back and get on it. It is all about proper throttle control and tire flotation. BFG's are prolly the best snow tire under 35" as well as being a real good all around tire. Run them down as far as 5 PSI and don't worry about it. You can run them at 15 PSI anywhere, street, trail.

Thanks for the info guys. Cruzila seems to have the most simple effective answer.  remember im from missouri so i dont know a lot about deep snow driving or much of anything else :headscratch:   Yes VE3NLP, we would like some info on your chains.    :yesnod:
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2005, 04:34:44 PM by Dirtoyboy »
RIP KYOTA

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Dec 19, 2005, 06:24:07 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. Cruzila seems to have the most simple effective answer.  remember im from missouri so i dont know a lot about deep snow driving or much of anything else :headscratch:   Yes VE3NLP, we would like some info on your chains.    :yesnod:

Ok Dirtoyboy,  I'll put together a written account on how to mod big rig tire chains for use on your Yoda..  You need to tell me a couple things though. Have you ever been to a truck stop or shop the works on and carries parts for the highway trucks? :headscratch:  If you have then the list of parts can be ordered/purchased there.

It's not the long of a list:   
One set of chain pliers( they look like over sized Multi-pliers)

A set of tire chains call " singles" for each tire chain you want to build(  get the ones for 22.5 tires the cross links are
   shorter and need less adjustment)

A hand full of replacement cross links( you need to space the cross  links for your tires)

I will try and get a few pic's of the different parts for you.  I haven't built a set for a while but maybe a spare set would be nice to have on hand. :thumbs:
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2005, 06:28:15 PM by VE3NLP »

DTB [OP]

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Dec 19, 2005, 06:49:28 PM »
 Sweet! :thumbs: Thanks VE3NLP!  I can find a truck stop in the area that's not a prob.  And I think I have a set of chain pliers laying around. :headscratch:  I'll be looking forward to your report.
RIP KYOTA

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Dec 20, 2005, 01:58:28 AM »
Definitely go with the heavy truck style chains like said, easy to rebuild!  Even with the cam locks it's a good idea to get bungees for them just incase they break, so they don't go whipping around and do some serious damage! :shocking:   I've seen cheap chains break and wipe out brake lines!  Not good.  Another thing to keep in the back of your mind is if you have to put them on, to drive about 30 to 40 feet and then retighten them.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #27 on: Dec 21, 2005, 10:59:41 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. Cruzila seems to have the most simple effective answer.  remember im from missouri so i dont know a lot about deep snow driving or much of anything else :headscratch:   Yes VE3NLP, we would like some info on your chains.    :yesnod:

air down in the snow when its deep. as far as driving its pretty easy if u stop goin forward just back up and hit it with a little momentum. do u have dual cases?

DRew
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

DTB [OP]

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Dec 22, 2005, 02:30:37 PM »
air down in the snow when its deep. as far as driving its pretty easy if u stop goin forward just back up and hit it with a little momentum. do u have dual cases?

DRew

Not yet, single case, 4.88's, 33's
RIP KYOTA

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Feb 27, 2006, 03:31:42 PM »
Bad news guys, I have been trying to buy chains from places in Ontario, and they don't sell them here. One place all butt asked me to leave saying they were ILLEGAL :headscratch: to have in ontario.  The place I did finally find that sells them (special order only) does not sell them at this time of year( It's the middle of winter) because they would not be in till about MAY or June. If I want to order a set I have to go back and order them in June so I can have them for October :hammerhead: . They also sell the crosslinks to repair the chains ( Again Special order) at over a hundred dollars for ten links. The Pliers for working on the chains are just two hundred and eighty bucks a real steal( only I'm not the one doing the robbing), and they are special order as well and only avalible in June.   They say that they place an order once a year for chains and it I want to get a set I can pay for them now and they will call when they arrive in October.  They only order the chains that people have prepaid for. When I asked how many sets of chains do they sell in a year? they told me three or four. I stopped at a truckstop out west(alberta) and they had chains just laying on pallets, with pails of crosslinks, and pliers too. If I had the money I could have bought the chains, links, and a set of pliers for about 3 hundred dollars( did not have the cash), the place in ontario wants $500 for the chains, $120 for ten(10) 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,****10**** links, and $280 for the pliers.  Just under a grand for something you can normally get for the about that cost of a good friday night. :yikes:   Sorry guys it going to be a while.
« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2006, 03:38:29 PM by VE3NLP »