Author Topic: front shackle angle problem?  (Read 3459 times)

trailhunter

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 205
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Canadians like to give'r
    • View Profile
front shackle angle problem?
« on: Nov 13, 2005, 05:55:37 PM »
i made a drop hanger for my 85 4runner so i could move my axle 2 1/2 inches forward. Im also useing toy rears. My question is how many guys are running the shackle under there frame and if you like it or not.  As my truck stands right  now with my shackle in the origanal location, the shackle is swept forward instead of back with wieght on it.

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Re: front shackle angle problem?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2005, 06:32:41 PM »
The best solution for what you did is to use longer springs that would allow you to keep the shackle in the stock spot inside the frame.    Running the shackles under the frame makes the front want to walk out from under the truck when your climbing up hills badly and its a huge rock anchor to boot. 

On my truck I used 3rd gen rears (51") and even with my front hanger moved forward about 1 1/2" the shackle tube is about 2" farther back than stock.  It would end up perfect in your rig. ;)
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

trailhunter [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2005, 07:01:40 PM »
you da man white trash.........i dont get what you mean by walk out from under the truck. I cant realy picture there being a problem

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2005, 08:34:37 PM »
Ya, i've got to say i've never had a "walking" problem, or any problem for that matter with having my shackle mounts under the frame.
It IS preferable to to have it tucked through the frame though.
The other disadvantage to going under the frame is the fact that it rotates your axle back (pinion down) but that can be remedied with shims or even better cut and turn the knuckles.

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2005, 08:43:54 PM »
If the front hanger is in the stock spot height wise and you put the shackles under the frame then the shackle end of the spring is mounted way lower than the frame end.  When you are climbing the front axle will try and drive out from under the rig much more than a rig with the ends of the spring on the same plane. 

Its just like the rear of my truck, the spring mounts for the rear springs are tucked inside the frame while the shackles hung about 3" below centerline for the frame mounts.  I had effectively WAY too mcuh antisquat because of this.  Id put it in ultimate low and powerbrake it on pavement and the rear would stand straight up because the shackles would unload a bit.  Now that Ive changed the mounts to a higher location on the same plane as the frame mounts I dont have that issue at all anymore.  Does that ramble help ya?  :hahaha:

locktup

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 68
  • Male Posts: 1,146
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Locktup Fab
    • View Profile
    • www.locktupfabrication.com
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2005, 10:11:16 PM »
Never had a problem with mine or any others I've built with them under the frame.
LOCKTUP SHOULD HAVE HIS OWN DISCOVERY CHANNEL SHOW!!

www.LOCKTUPFABRICATION.com

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2005, 11:54:43 PM »
You dont have a problem with it if the front hanger is dropped down to match the drop of the shackle to keep things even.  But if you do that you end up with a damned monster truck. :ack:

cruzila

• Go go cruzila!
  • Hawk
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,848
  • Member since May '02
  • MC20/21 Toybox #002 2.28 = 154:1
    • View Profile
    • MTA
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2005, 07:23:04 AM »
Another rule is the longer the shackle the better. If you can keep it up in the frame it will be longer, giving the spring more room to flow naturally and not be bound by a short shackle. Ie: better droop and compression
If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Friends of Eldorado National Forest

trailhunter [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2005, 07:35:42 AM »
the drop hanger i made is 2 1/2 down and 2 1/2 forward from stock so is that enough drop for the shackle underneith the frame ?

trailhunter [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2005, 07:36:18 AM »
and wont i get more flex with it under the frame as well

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2005, 07:42:20 AM »
trail hunter,  i promise you if you do it like white trash said you will be happier,  your pinion angle will be good and your steering will self center after turns like its supposed to,  its just a little more trouble to put it thru the frame,  but like WT said   if you use some 90 model rears they should bolt right up and solve your problem,
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

trailhunter [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2005, 09:49:17 PM »
Quote from: jones link=1131937430/0#2 date=1132102093
I'd put it through the frame because it's more likely to get caught on stuff when it's beneath the frame. It's not hard to put a hole and sleeve in the frame and it will look alot cleaner when you're done. Just make sure you put it in the right place the first time. :)

Well id did some thinking today and it looks like drilling a new hole and putting in a new sleeve is a better bet. I did some measuring and the body mount is right in the path  of where my new hole needs to be. It shouldnt be a problem cuting off  one side of the body mount and move it over would it?

Has anyone else ran into this problem?