Author Topic: Tech: Bobbing a campershell  (Read 5907 times)

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
Tech: Bobbing a campershell
« on: Oct 06, 2005, 03:20:07 PM »
Well I just picked up this cherry campershell today for free so I am going to bob it and put it on for the winter for snow runs and so I can leave all my duck hunting gear in there and lock it up at school.  So I though what better than to do a writup on bobbing a campershell since I have never seen one myself.  I will not start bobbing it till probably monday but here are some pics of how it is now.

Ebbs15

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -27
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Drink'n in Korea
    • View Profile
Re: Tech: Bobbing a campershell
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2005, 03:23:40 PM »
SWEET!... I've been thinking about this... I have a 88 Runner that I'm toy'n with the idea of bob'n the cap...    I'm really intrested in your writeup... take LOTS of pics :yupyup:  :clap2:  :clap2:  :clap2:

Ramrod [OP]

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2005, 03:24:36 PM »
Don't worry I am not driving around with it like that.  Since this campershell is made out of really thin aluminum I think what I am going to do is get a 3" strip of sheetmetal and use that as a backing plate where I cut it and rivet it together which sounds really okie but from the side you will probably only be able to see about 4-6 rivet and they will be very small.  I will also do a little bondo work just like any bob job and a nice coat of silicon so I can sleep in there and be nice and dry. If you have suggestions on better ways of how I should do it let me know

Ebbs15

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Drink'n in Korea
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2005, 03:47:09 PM »
naw that sounds good... I'm gonna have to refreshen my fiberglassing skills... I'd installed car stereo for 5 years... but it's been about 3 1/2 since I've done any fiberglassing....  dang I was kinda hope'n you're top was fiberglass...  oh well... still very intrested in how you do it... 

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2005, 04:22:07 PM »
I've thought about bobbing my bed to 6' and then use a 6' shell on my truck. I can't be without my shell, it is my tent when I'm wheelin' and sleepin on the trail.  Good luck on sizing that with the glass on the sides.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Ebbs15

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Drink'n in Korea
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2005, 04:31:27 PM »
Good luck on sizing that with the glass on the sides.
that's what I was worried about but all you do is bob in the window opening... your window won't open as much... or at all if you bob that much... but it'll look still have the orignal look to it...

Big blue have you thought about welding the top back together?

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2005, 04:38:27 PM »
that's what I was worried about but all you do is bob in the window opening... your window won't open as much... or at all if you bob that much... but it'll look still have the orignal look to it...

Big blue have you thought about welding the top back together?

True, didn't think about that.

Ramrod [OP]

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2005, 04:39:27 PM »
the metal is probably thinner than a beer cans metal so there is no chance of welding.  I was also thinking of trying something with some sort of epoxy.  The window won't be an issue cause I am going to bob it in the section where the rear window is and that window will just slide foward and should be perfect.  If not I will just take them both out and put in a piece of plexiglass or cut the one piece a little

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #8 on: Oct 06, 2005, 04:51:33 PM »
the metal is probably thinner than a beer cans metal so there is no chance of welding.  I was also thinking of trying something with some sort of epoxy.  The window won't be an issue cause I am going to bob it in the section where the rear window is and that window will just slide foward and should be perfect.  If not I will just take them both out and put in a piece of plexiglass or cut the one piece a little

....but if you every try to sleep in it without the sliding windows it can get real warm, take a good look at the frame there is usually a seam that you could use as a cutting point on the other side and then you could pop-rivit it back together with a small piece of what you cut out.

Ebbs15

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Drink'n in Korea
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 06, 2005, 04:58:34 PM »
the metal is probably thinner than a beer cans metal so there is no chance of welding.  I was also thinking of trying something with some sort of epoxy.  The window won't be an issue cause I am going to bob it in the section where the rear window is and that window will just slide foward and should be perfect.  If not I will just take them both out and put in a piece of plexiglass or cut the one piece a little
oh ok cool... damn your shell sounds alot thinner than I remember my old alum. one being... good luck... 

now that your putting this much effort into it are you gonna put an internal cage for structure and insurance?  just a thought

Ramrod [OP]

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 06, 2005, 09:02:31 PM »
I looked and I will still be able to open the window 8-10" after the bob and anyways I wont be sleeping in there if it is not raining or snowing so it won't matter if it gets hot and also I will have the tailgate down just to fit in there comfortably anyways.  Oh and no cage is planed for the shell cause it is free and it probably won't be on there for any serious wheeling.

musclesliver

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -36
  • Male Posts: 81
  • Member since Aug '05
  • huh??? Where am I???
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 06, 2005, 09:07:43 PM »
run it like that and adapt the tail gate

toynorcal

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 96
  • Male Posts: 435
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Easyline"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 07, 2005, 03:21:34 PM »
Looking forward to seeing how this comes out. Post up some good pics man :thumbs:

Ramrod [OP]

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 10, 2005, 11:03:52 AM »
well I just pulled the side windows out and it turns out this thing is made of fiberglass.  It is about 1/8" thick.  I guess it just sounded like thin aluminum.  I am going to start putting some lines on it and cutting in a little bit then I guess it is time to learn how to fiberglass.  I will post up pics when I make some more progress.

Ebbs15

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Drink'n in Korea
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 10, 2005, 02:25:03 PM »
well I just pulled the side windows out and it turns out this thing is made of fiberglass. It is about 1/8" thick. I guess it just sounded like thin aluminum. I am going to start putting some lines on it and cutting in a little bit then I guess it is time to learn how to fiberglass. I will post up pics when I make some more progress.
you can get some good how to videos off the internet... e-bay... most of the ones I have are for car stereo installs... but it at least teaches you the basics... I think I payed $20 for 3...

Ramrod [OP]

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 10, 2005, 08:17:38 PM »
turns out that the thing is made of plastic.  I am still going to fiberglass it though.  I actually have it mounted to my truck and am going to do the rest of the work to it on there.  I used some of the pieces I cut out and rivited it together and it looks alright but It definitly needs more work.  I also do not have the windows in yet.

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 10, 2005, 08:31:11 PM »
Fiberglass is easy, just patience. Oh and resin gets ya a good high. :yesnod:  So do it in a ventilated area. Used either a fine grit or worn down angle grinder pad and rough up about 4" on either side of the cut. Both inside and outside. Careful not to go too deep or you'll burn through. Mix up the resin and soak strips of glass in it. Lay thin strips at angles. Let the first layer dry and start laying them overlapped. Dont build up to much though unless you dont care about the looks or you'll have a big bulge. I can help ya if you want. I've redone a fiberglass cowl induction hood before. It was tore to shiat and I made that thing show quality smooth again. Not boasting or anything but the painters at the body shop were impressed.
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

Ramrod [OP]

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Oct 10, 2005, 08:34:32 PM »
I'm only doing fiberglass on the inside and bondo on the outside and then I am covering the outside with bondo then some bedliner that will be covered with camo spray paint.

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Oct 11, 2005, 02:44:56 AM »
Holy crap...your gunna double the thickness and the weight of that thing. Just glass the inside and hit the out side with a epoxy primer then camo it :thumbs:
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

Ramrod [OP]

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Oct 11, 2005, 08:48:45 AM »
yah but it will ne nice and warm and durable.  Believe me anything related to duck hunting gets put through it's paces big time each year and I don't want it pussin out half way through

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #20 on: Oct 11, 2005, 02:13:25 PM »
I've always had better luck with traction when I've had my shell or top on my trucks, I even had a carpet kit in one of my trucks and never had any trouble. I would try to keep the weight a low as possible though.