Author Topic: How to tell when clutch starts to go???  (Read 5207 times)

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
How to tell when clutch starts to go???
« on: Sep 25, 2005, 05:49:44 PM »
I have a 1994 4runner and the clutch has started making a noise when I push the pedal in, even just a little bit, but only when it is below C on the gauge. Anyone know what that is? Also how do you know when your clutch starts to go?
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

toynorcal

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 96
  • Male Posts: 435
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Easyline"
    • View Profile
Re: How to tell when clutch starts to go???
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2005, 06:06:58 PM »
You know your clutch is going out when the "Friction Point" starts dropping closer and closer to the floor boards. You will also notice that it will take longer for the clutch to enguage the flywheel (you have to hold that friction point longer to get your rig moving) because of slippage.

Does it make the noise when you are driving, at a stand still, or all the time?

wa4x4 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 2005, 06:09:02 PM »
It will happen when the motor is below cold and I push in the clutch. I can be holding it in my driveway shifting into reverse or driving down the street shifting and it will happen.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Sep 25, 2005, 06:14:14 PM »
does it go in part of the way then gets harder??                               usually the quickest way to KNOW the clutch is gone is when it slips,    when your in 4th or 5th and floor the gas does the engine rev like you mashed the clutch ??
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 25, 2005, 06:17:16 PM »
norcal,  i think you have it backwards,    as the clutch wears the "friction point"   gets closer to the top,   if you have to bring your foot more than half way up to feel anything a new clutch is in your future

a new clutch should be very near the floor
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

wa4x4 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 25, 2005, 06:18:53 PM »
Ill have to think about it next time I drive. I am just hoping I don't need work on my tranny or clutch or else I have to sell the 4runner. Also I have to replace all the brakes but I can't afford it and it's getting dangerous. I need a new car...

toynorcal

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 96
  • Male Posts: 435
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Easyline"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2005, 06:30:43 PM »
yes I do have it backwards :qtip: my bad :_oops:

Clutch noises... :think: good luck man.
« Last Edit: Sep 25, 2005, 06:34:46 PM by toynorcal »

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 25, 2005, 06:34:55 PM »
its ok tnc,  i tried to get coffee out of the can opener this morning :screwy:

wa4x4,   brakes are almost garanteed to be cheaper than a new ride,   wish you were closer :eyebrow:

wa4x4 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 25, 2005, 06:42:35 PM »
Well right now I have 12k in a stock 1994 4runner with all my matinence in the last year and now it needs it all over again...Bummer..

Greg_Canada

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 56
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 25, 2005, 08:31:41 PM »
Heh, my clutch is going, try flooring it and see if it grabs and jerks you or if it smoothly revs into gear (bad).., heh, mine is so bad, i can get it to slip in 2nd gear if wanted (but i have been trying to perserve it for as long as possible)...
Does marlin ship to canada?  i need a new cluthc... and on the topic, should i go ceramic and 1600lb, just 1600lb or 1200lb?

wa4x4 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 25, 2005, 08:44:13 PM »
My revvs bounce when i shift, if thats what you mean...

Greg_Canada

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 56
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 26, 2005, 06:13:01 AM »
Like, does it "grab" or does it feel more like an auto tranny when you're pushing it?

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 27, 2005, 07:06:36 AM »
Hey Canada I would just go with a standard clutch and the 1600 lb pressure plate. I went that direction when I put my rebuit Marlin tranny in and I love it. It feels real good. I wouldnt go ceramic because of the amount of slippage that is needed in 4wheeling your going to be killing your flywheel. Ceramics are good for street cars wherer they only need IN or OUT. I dunno if Marlin ships to Canada, hit up the Customer Service thread to find out.

WA4X4 brakes are cheap and easy, plus needing a clutch is no reason to think its time to get a new ride. Thats only a day job...at the most. Do you do your own work or do you send your truck in to a shop. Thats where it gets expensive fast. Them bastids charge you an arm and a leg. I cant remember the last time I took a vehicle to a shop. Dont be intimidated by some work, buy a tool set and get under there and get to wrenchin!
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 27, 2005, 11:32:00 AM »
Easiest way to tell a clutch is dead: Rev the motor, dump the clutch. If you move, it's OK, if you don't it's dead. (just kidding).

I've been told clutches are fairly easy to do, but never done one myself. Get a manual, and just do it step by step. Remember, worst thing that happens is that you can't get it back together, and have to tow it to the shop for them to finish. Could end up saving yourself a few $$, and getting more comfortable working on your own rig.

Erik :usa:
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

wa4x4 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 27, 2005, 12:19:26 PM »
Well right now this car has a stack of problems and this one is on the top and I notice new things everyday. New thing today, the motor is making a nice rattle about 3500 rpm, and a nice random blub blub blub sound at idle...sometimes the blub sound is once every 2 seconds and other times the blub its 4 every second.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sep 27, 2005, 03:33:41 PM »
Well right now this car has a stack of problems and this one is on the top and I notice new things everyday. New thing today, the motor is making a nice rattle about 3500 rpm, and a nice random blub blub blub sound at idle...sometimes the blub sound is once every 2 seconds and other times the blub its 4 every second.
sounds like your blub-o-meter is 2 seconds off

:rofl2:   oh i kill me :rofl: 

yes i am almost 100% sure marlin ships to canada

wa4x4,   the blub blub  might be just a exhaust leak,  the brakes are easy  and i would rather do your clutch than change spark plugs

your up in oregon right

wa4x4 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 27, 2005, 04:54:54 PM »

wa4x4, the blub blub might be just a exhaust leak, the brakes are easy and i would rather do your clutch than change spark plugs

your up in oregon right

Did you just ask me if I live in Oregon? I live in WA. Yeah I'll get my jack back from my buddy and I'll take a look at my brakes and exhaust. I looked under my car and my muffler/tailpipe looked a bit rusty but no holes. Wouldn't a gasket leak in the exhuast make a hissing noise?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 27, 2005, 06:23:50 PM »
not if its a manifold gasket,  where the exhaust come out of the head,  it could make the ,blub,blub,blub  sound and will get faster and louder with engine rpm

wa4x4 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sep 27, 2005, 07:17:11 PM »
well the pipe shakes when it happens and sometimes it comes out as a crack, but not loud enough for like a backfire. Also I have noticed a lot of carbon buildip on the back of the exhaust pipe.

BCD

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -79
  • Male Posts: 70
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sep 27, 2005, 07:26:07 PM »
Regarding your clutch, you can check by putting the transmission in 4th gear (1:1), put your foot on the brake, and dump the clutch. If the engine dies immediately you're in business. If it slowly dies or doesn't die at all, then you are looking at a little wrench time. Don't know if that is official mechanical testing, but it generally works for  me

Don't get discouraged though,when I learned to drive I could barely change my oil, though now I am not great mechanically, I have learned a lot through the help of friends, reklund5  :beer: specifically, and I really enjoy working on my truck not just to save money but it gives me satisfaction. Don't get down and sell your ride just because it needs a little tlc...you'll regret it later when your new car breaks down, and you are back at square one.

wa4x4 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sep 27, 2005, 07:33:54 PM »
I'm not looking at a new car because this one has some troubles. I'm thinking about a new car because I have spent almost 6k fixing those problems. And theyre back. So far the grand total for my car is almost 13k. For a stock 11 year old car with no airbags or ABS. I have almost rolled it a couple of times. It's my fault that I have almost rolled it because I drive like an ass. In my truck I will go the speed limit. The car that I am looking at when this one goes is a Subaru WRX which is one of the safest cars around. 5 star all around and you can even close your hand in the door and it doesn't hurt! Also my gas mileage has shyed me away from the 4runner...12MPG :yikes: Thats crazy for stock! I know my way around a garage, but I still have a lot to learn. I am in the process of rebuilding my 20r and my whole truck, which will be fun.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sep 29, 2005, 07:29:12 AM »
well i can understand if its getting 12 mpg  its got more problems,   oh man i couldnt even go into how much i have in my truck,  but maintainance costs dont really work that way

if you want to drive like mario  then a subaru with the turbo is more what you need for a DD   but i am guessing a parent is partly to blame for that choice

i mean we all know your first choice would be a twin turbo supra  :yupyup:

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -75
  • Male Posts: 504
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #22 on: Sep 30, 2005, 04:37:34 PM »
I had that happen and one of the little springs in the clutch disc broke out

2008 Dodge Diesel  (Cummins Rule)
6.7 manual quad 8 foot bed H&S delete, banks air box
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

wa4x4 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sep 30, 2005, 04:41:30 PM »
Ok me driving sorta nice last tank I got 8MPG!!!!!! WTF! I took it up to 5k once. Most of the time I was shifting at 3500. This thing sucks....

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sep 30, 2005, 05:35:42 PM »
Ok me driving sorta nice last tank I got 8MPG!!!!!! WTF! I took it up to 5k once. Most of the time I was shifting at 3500. This thing sucks....
um yea,  mostly GASOLINE :ack:

lal357

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -22
  • Member since Nov '03
  • are we there yet are we there yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sep 30, 2005, 06:26:48 PM »
i am finishing up a 4spd to 5spd tranny swap in my 80 yota while i had it out i put in a new clutch figured what the heck it out just doing the clutch should be easy the hardest thing i found was taking the shifter out (broke one pair of long needle nose pliers  and got mad and broke out the sawzaw (new tranny had shifters) ) i got a tranny jack from harbor freight and it held the tranny and xfer case with no problem just slid it back after i took all the bolts out
80yota 22r 32/36 weber,header,custom bed,4.88 spooled rear Aussie front ,63" chevies,cage,yada,yada