Author Topic: Leveling out my rig....  (Read 2934 times)

AmBush175

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 65
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Rock Bound
    • View Profile
Leveling out my rig....
« on: Sep 18, 2005, 07:50:19 PM »
Marlin Forum....
I have a 1980 Toy with what I believe is an 3" or 4" lift w/ mod springs in the front and add-a-leafs in the rear.  I recently add front and rear shackles to add clearance for 36" tires; clears fine now.  Problem is that my rigs tail end now sets 2" lower then the front end.  I purchased the shackles from Downey so they are longer then factory ones.  I am thinking that the add-a-leafs my have lost their "spring" or even the rear leafs have lost theirs or something to this effect. 
After telling you all this BS my question to you all is this: Do anyone think that I can purchase a set of rear 4" leafs (factory length) for my rig therefore fixing this problem this way?
Meaning, is the 4" rear leafs going to be able to level my rig out?   
If so, then do you guys (Marlin) carry factory spec rear 4" leafs?
If yes then what would the email address be to Marlin so this way I could ask them a couple of questions?
If no, then can anyone point me in the right direction of someone who can/carries factory spec rear springs with "some" flex?  Not just some BS brand rear springs....
Sorry for all the added BS, just trying to give you guys all the skinny on the problem that I am having with my rig. 
Thanks for all your time and help with this matter.  Any good directions will be greatly appreciated!   
'80 Toyota with some "stuff" on it......
'84 Toyota......future tubular project.
'99 Tacoma

"I believe that forgiving them is Gods function; My job is simply to arrange the meeting."

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Leveling out my rig....
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18, 2005, 08:02:11 PM »
I'm sure Marlin has great springs, but I don't think any of them of stock length (I will assume that is what you are looking for).  I wanted stock length springs as well so I had Alcan www.alcanspring.com build me a custom set.  My springs actually were a little shorter than expected, so I added a short block to level.  See the Rig Gallery for Blackdiamond History for pictures of the old vs. new springs.  They ride great.  I have Rancho 9000 shocks and when empty I run with them set on 1 of 5 and when I loaded it up for camping I had them at 4 of 5 and it still rode smooth...almost soft.  Send Alcan an email, most would agree that for a stock lenght spring that flexes they are the best option.

Here is the link to my pictures...

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11704.0

& www.alcanspring.com
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

AmBush175 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 65
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Rock Bound
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2005, 03:53:26 PM »
Thanks dude........this helps out a lot!!!! :biggthumpup:
'80 Toyota with some "stuff" on it......
'84 Toyota......future tubular project.
'99 Tacoma

"I believe that forgiving them is Gods function; My job is simply to arrange the meeting."

Marketing

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -30
  • Male Posts: 1,639
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2005, 07:39:16 PM »
Sorry, we don't carry stock length springs. Our rear springs are 56" long and require the hangers to be relocated.