Author Topic: Bleadlocks on the street?  (Read 3286 times)

914Runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 40
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Rollin' On 32's
    • View Profile
Bleadlocks on the street?
« on: Sep 11, 2005, 08:56:51 PM »
Hey all, I know beadlocks are illegal on the street, but I was just wondering how much crap I would actually get if I ran a set on the street? Here in Oregon, I see quite a few fake beadlocks, so im thinking the cops just might think they are fake?

Im wanting to run Marlins beadlock wheels.

Thanks

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
Re: Bleadlocks on the street?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2005, 08:58:25 PM »
i have heard that they can impound your vehicle if you have beadlocks.  Not sure though.  I have also heard that beadlocks are legal on the street.  they just aren't DOT approved.

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2005, 09:09:02 PM »
I run mine on the street here (Oregon) with no probs so far and Brad is right and as Chris G. once said there just not DOT approved. So if el policia can tell the difference between them and sweetlocks, especially when rolling, then worry about what your gonna tell them untill then dont sweat it

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2005, 09:35:42 PM »
How many officers do you really think gives a shiat and/or would notice? If beads arnt DOT approved then those gay spinners shouldnt be
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

Flip-Flop

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 187
  • Male Posts: 146
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2005, 09:44:32 PM »
The only beadlocks I know of that are DOT approved:

http://www.hutchinsoninc.com/

Might be more out there now...  :beer:

914Runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Rollin' On 32's
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2005, 10:50:01 PM »
Alright, so it looks like I will be saving my dough for a set of these Marlin champion beadlocks!  :clap:

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 12, 2005, 06:07:19 AM »
I have no problems running locks on my rig the my junk is hard to miss.

Those hutchinson wheels are killer, I helped put a set on a buddies rig awhile back.  Very well made but its a BIOTCH to get the tire off the wheel to change. :ack:
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2005, 06:34:20 AM by WHITE_TRASH »
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 13, 2005, 12:05:43 AM »
if the cop is really worried about it tell him he is more then welcome to crawl around the underside or your rig and find the dot stamp...and those hutchens bead locks are too much money!
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

1tonCroozer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 47
  • Male Posts: 111
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Doin' time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 13, 2005, 09:13:49 AM »
I've said this so many times on so many boards and it's been hashed out so many times.......

There is NO law in Oregon they can site you for. They CANNOT ticket you for not having DOT wheels. They will not look, they will not ask. LEO's do not enforce DOT standards which is all that stamp implies. Buy the beadlocks, run them on the street. My two friends who own Evergreen Streetrods have both been running Champion locks on the street for the past two years. They live in WA but wheel in Oregon, Cali, Utah...and have never once had any issues. I would not hesitate to run locks on the street and people say they are illegal are very misinformed and that is how the info spreads. Rumors of impounded vehicles, tickets, ect....

I've got many LEO friends (and being one myself!) and we have no statue in OR or WA that a LEO can issue you a ticket from. ;) Just keep the bolts torqued down so you don't have any issues.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #9 on: Sep 13, 2005, 09:38:57 AM »
Well, from my understanding of the laws regarding being D.O.T. approved is that you can be sited for running products on your vehicle that are not D.O.T. approved that require their approval, such as lights, tires, rims, etc., etc. Split rims have been a big bone of contention with them since they are holding a pressurized tire. D.O.T. outlawed split rims a long time ago and even big trucks can't have them anymore. They are very dangerous if the ring lets loose. There may be no law specifically saying you can't run beadlocks but there is a law that says you cannot run certain products that require D.O.T. approval. :twocents:

Also there are many Federal laws that are not enforced state to state, and even state laws that are ignored by police, but that doesn't mean that it isn't one that for one reason or another become an issue due to someone being killed by a illegal product on a vehicle. Then again almost everyone with a lifted 4x4 above the legal frame levels risk being held accountable when we hit and kill someone. Chances are you would not get busted for it unless some D.A. started checking and found that the product that caused the death was illegal and shouldn't have been on the vehicle.

There are so many laws on the books that police couldn't even begin to enforce everything, you usually find out once it gets into the hands of a lawyer that you are in big trouble. :shudder:
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2005, 09:56:04 AM by Rocksurfer »
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 13, 2005, 10:23:16 PM »
I've said this so many times on so many boards and it's been hashed out so many times.......

what did you say?? :laugh:
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

1tonCroozer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Doin' time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 13, 2005, 10:27:58 PM »
Your right in alot of ways.

How many times have you even heard of a police officer checking for the DOT stamp on the inside of the rim? Never..I'd have to pull my wheel/tire off to show someone.

Like I said...no law on the books that you can be ticketed for in OR, WA or CO. Those are the state's I know for sure. However....a good lawyer can torch anyone with non stock equipment on a vehicle. Look at Ford and Firestone tires. They got sued BAD. Imagine our mud tires....lift kits...lockers....anything can be attributed to a cause of accident by a competent lawyer. You might as well deal with that fact.

Now if your complete bonehead and can't maintain your beadlocks...you might as well sell your rig and give up on it all. Can't live in fear cause there is no DOT stamp on your wheels.

All I'm doing is clearing up the ticketing ability for beadlocks. You won't be. If you are....I'd fight it. I've gone through that before and the cop hates it when I pull out my ORS manual and quote the law word for word. Most LEO's don't know all the laws (how could you?!) so some might try but they will loose. How can he prove they aren't fake locks? Can't. Won'ts. Never will.  :crossed:

1tonCroozer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Doin' time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 13, 2005, 10:28:21 PM »

914Runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Rollin' On 32's
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 13, 2005, 11:00:23 PM »
Alright, thanks for clearin that up.

Now on to beadlock maintenance. How often should I retorque the ring bolts? They will be on a DD. It would be hard for me to even carry a torque wrench with me if need be.

Thanks

1tonCroozer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Doin' time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 13, 2005, 11:28:36 PM »
Not often. I'd check them a few times in between oil changes is all. It's a matter of just knowing they are there and not letting them go unchecked. With a quality lock like the Champions that have the nice inner ring that holds the tire like they do....or even the DIY kits you wont' have any issues.

Makman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 98
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sep 14, 2005, 09:09:19 PM »
With all of the street locks running around on the mall crawlers, spend your time and efforts worrying about the things Oregon cops do ticket for regarding mechanical violations:

- mud flaps (lack there of)
     - excessive window tint
     - cracked windshield
     - out tail light ($190 non-negotiable ticket in Junction City if the officer really wants to stick it to you.  How lame is that?)

I'm sure the list goes on and on.   :rant:
If it never breaks, people can only speculate how much it was overbuilt.

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 15, 2005, 08:04:10 PM »
I'm not trying to be an ass, but why do you need beadlocks on a DD vehicle?  Do you wheel it hard enough on the weekends to justify the cost of the wheels?  Could that money be better spent on other areas of your rig to make it more capable?

Give us some info on how your rig is setup  :beerchug:

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

BruceTS

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 22, 2005, 11:15:27 PM »
I have a set of beadlocks that I've been running on the street for almost 1 1/2 years now and never once have I been hassled, besides my rims are DOT approved stock toyota......

99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker
Myspace
1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 & RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle

Don't Ask when I'm gonna go SAS, I'm not... I'll build a buggy first!

SLOYOTA808

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Damn Kid Off Road
« Reply #18 on: Sep 23, 2005, 01:47:34 AM »
Nice Toy rims... :bowdown: