Author Topic: detroit or ARB in the rear for rig that will see street use...  (Read 6415 times)

FSAD

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
not a daily driver, but will drive it on the road, and on the snow covered streets of colorado-my main concern.

my concern is the detroit will slide around more in the snow while the ARB will act open if unlocked

your thoughts?

mike
84 ext cab project: current status-complete frame off: 4.3 is at the rebuilder's, 700R4 and dual cases still in the works. front lift prolly ORS's coilover. Rear-TBD. Will upgrade the axle shafts and birfs (longs) and brakes. 37" to 38" tires. Mostly a crawler, explorer vehicle, will drive on street some. Lots to go still...gutted cab needs seats, dash, etc, build the "bed", fuel cell, exo cage(?) and misc other stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting. Open to suggestions as I go.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
 :attention: You want the ARB (if you can afford it). The Detroit could put you in a ditch (or worse) on those snow-covered mountainous roads.  The open rear will help you stay on the road. If you get stuck, just push the little button.  This would be my first choice but I'm poor right now.  The only drawback to the ARB is more likelyhood of failure (compressor or seals) but this is usually due to operator installation or neglect.
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
My 4Runner worked great in snow with a Detroit, my pickup would slide all over the place in snow with a detroit. My 4Runner was an auto and the truck a 5 speed. I have noticed that the auto's are more tollerant of snow with a fulltime locker over a stick. This would include an ARB, I guess the auto is more forgiving  of a locker in the rig. Also the 4Runner was locked f/r and the truck had a limited slip front, I don't think it made any difference though since I've noticed the same tendancies in other rigs. If I was looking for a selectable locker an e-locker would be my choice.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
yea, i was gonna ask him if it was a truck or runner. that can make a difference.  Mine is flatbedded and it slides all over the friggin place with a detroit in the rear.   :beerchug:  ditto on the e-locker too
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

FSAD [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
its a truck, with future fabbed "bed"

who makes the e-locker again? is it just as strong as a detroit and ARB?

the plan is 4.3L, 700r4, marlins dual case, beefed up shafts and axle shafts and 38ish tires

mike
84 ext cab project: current status-complete frame off: 4.3 is at the rebuilder's, 700R4 and dual cases still in the works. front lift prolly ORS's coilover. Rear-TBD. Will upgrade the axle shafts and birfs (longs) and brakes. 37" to 38" tires. Mostly a crawler, explorer vehicle, will drive on street some. Lots to go still...gutted cab needs seats, dash, etc, build the "bed", fuel cell, exo cage(?) and misc other stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting. Open to suggestions as I go.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I don't think it matters on weather it's a 4Runner or truck I think what matters is weather or not it is an auto or stick. A friend of mine has an 4Runner with a five speed and ARB's granted it won't move with them off in snow once he pop's them in his 4Runner is all over the place.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile

who makes the e-locker again? is it just as strong as a detroit and ARB?

the most common are toyota's stock e-locker (which can be converted to manual actuation) or the Detroit Electrac.  :driving:
RIP KYOTA

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
detriots are garbage stay away from them..  weld it or arb.  get somthing predictable.. a detroit is not that. nor is anything like a aussie locker/ez locker
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
When I was driving to and from Moab in my 85 truck I didn't have any problems with my Detroit rear as long as I kept it slow and steady.  I had to be very careful.

While out snow wheeling with gotrocks I was driving down a snow packed road in 4wd (Aussie front and Detroit rear) and it was handling like it was in 2wd.  The front Aussie wasn't a problem in the front compared to the lack of traction in the rear.

I did have my tires siped on the Moab trip and the roads were not as slick as the snow wheeling trip.

I might try the Aussie in the rear, it would be my choice if I started again.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
E-LOCKER   strongest 8inch 3rd there is
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
detriots are garbage stay away from them..   get somthing predictable.. a detroit is not that.
 IC, do you mean all detriots or the electracs?  they are selectable, isn't that predictable?
RIP KYOTA

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
 :headscratch: Detroits never failed me?

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
detriots are garbage stay away from them..  weld it or arb.  get somthing predictable.. a detroit is not that. nor is anything like a aussie locker/ez locker

:rofl2:

You've got to be kidding me, your HONESTLY going to choice an ARB over a Detroit? 

You know how many ARB's ive seen SHATTER on the trail compared to Detroits?   A DETROIT WILL NOT BREAK unless you dont know how to set them up right.
Hyena's blew out a detroit but thats only because there was slop in there and it beat itself to death. I stand by detroit myself.. I have yet to see one blow up on the trail... ARB on the other hand.. yea its great that you can engauge and dis-engauge it but you'll be dealing with leaky lines and it'll eventually go.... seen it happen MANY times.

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

old school toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 148
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
I have a ARB.  It has slop inside,  Like something is worn out. (side gear or pinion shaft worn???) It make a loud clunk.  If I had to do it over again I would get  a Detroit.
1988 4runner

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Too much :bull crap: involved with an ARB, I prefer old reliable tried and true products that you know are there without having to flip a switch to make sure it is working, then when you need it most and flip that switch it still doesn't work.

It's a Detroit or Auburn for me.

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
:rofl2:

You've got to be kidding me, your HONESTLY going to choice an ARB over a Detroit? 

You know how many ARB's ive seen SHATTER on the trail compared to Detroits?   A DETROIT WILL NOT BREAK unless you dont know how to set them up right.
Hyena's blew out a detroit but thats only because there was slop in there and it beat itself to death. I stand by detroit myself.. I have yet to see one blow up on the trail... ARB on the other hand.. yea its great that you can engauge and dis-engauge it but you'll be dealing with leaky lines and it'll eventually go.... seen it happen MANY times.

seen way to many detriots fail  and for a street driven truck they BLOW  especially in snow..  hell ive almost got in a few accidents on dry pavement because of a detroit  they suck.   the only problems ive ever seen with a arb have all been oring related no leaky lines.   and sorry  if a  dana44 arb of all things will stand up to 49" iroks  then im sold  because ive seen it in person same with on 44" boggers.. In reverse  up saddle lake  in the highlakes   damn near standing the truck on its front end BOUNCING  44 held and so did the arb.. 44" boggers at about 5 psi..  that thing should be DEAD.

And  know how to set them up right ?   lol whats there to know? i usually set the lash a little tighter on a detroit  since there is so much slop in them  so things stay together.

detroits are all hype.. hell  look at all the hype around the aussie locker how their so great..  :pokinit: and look who ever broke one.  chris ! i would never imagine him breaking one.   nobody i know would stick a detroit in the front either.  break a shaft or a birf and the locker is toast.. sorry i'll replace shafts but im not gonna replace a 4-500 dollar locker every single time i break  screw that.

ARBS are where its at. if i could afford it  id have them front and rear..  The only reason people are so hard up for detroits are because they have been around longer than dirt   And yeah  they work    but the slop that they have and put into the drivetrain is not good.

just my opinion though..  You know like they say.. Opinions are like assholes  everyone has one and they all stink
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
yea they blow in snow only because they're a full on locker, thats about the only thing I agree with. I drove with a detroit in the rear for 6 years, had probably 10,000 miles PLUS on it and didn't give me a single problem. Ran every trail in the Sierra's multiple times jumping that :pokinit: on rocks left and right. Detroit didn't give a single inch... Its nice of you to stand by those ARB's, opinions will vary... but my $02.... the ARB cant compare strength wise... I'll be running a detroit in the front of my 60 and won't think twice about hammering that freaker up and over anything.

IronClad, i've got your number bro. We're seriously gonna wheel together this Summer!   :hammer:  :king:

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
 I have noticed that detroits like to hold better  in certian axles  moreso  like 14bolts/60s/70s and 44s   i think the toyota axle shockloads  alot worse when it breaks due to the ammount of material breaking  in the birfield which is why it kills the locker..   ive just never liked the quirks they have in corners and even sometimes in the straights.. must just be my driving style lol i love my welded diffs and their predictability.

but yea dude  after the snow melt i'll be in the highlakes every weekend wheelin  and i plan on hittin the con sometime. maybe a couple times.  should get together sometime fersure
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cheap sunglasses

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 59
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Soon to be shorter and slower :)
    • View Profile
Neither will an ARB, especially in a Toyota drivetrain.
Remember this is more of a question of traction than reliablity when paired with sub 40 inch tires and an 8 inch ring gear; the locker strength shouldnt be a big concern.

Detroits are great on the rocks and trails, but any loose dirt, mud, snow, sand, etc and youll be wishing you could have the versatility of a selectable.

As for ARB vs Elocker..
See, in order to fit the locking mechanism of the e-locker inside of the 8" diff, Toyota had to use an enormous carrier bearing, so not only is the operation of the e-locker better and more reliable than the ARB, it is also the strongest differential available.

BTW, Shamb, that clown...  :outtahere: freaking creepy!
'82 on 35's, not much else.

alpha_radiation

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 78
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I've driven plenty of times in the snow with my 85, and have a detroit in the rear.  The only times I had trouble was when I stuck my foot in it going around a corner, the rear would slide every time and I would get a big ol grin.
Go with a detroit in the rear and just learn to drive with it.  Save your money for an arb in the front.

Autos are smoother because the slip in the tranny.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
BTW, Shamb, that clown...  :outtahere: freaking creepy!

That be Homie The Clown, he's the coolest clown ever.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
I've driven plenty of times in the snow with my 85, and have a detroit in the rear.  The only times I had trouble was when I stuck my foot in it going around a corner, the rear would slide every time and I would get a big ol grin.
Go with a detroit in the rear and just learn to drive with it.  Save your money for an arb in the front.

yay, but he's driving in the mountains in Colorado. I have a Detroit too (and a big grin) but I wouldn't wanna be driving cliffside with my ass sliding all over the place. just my two cents.......and yes, homie is da man!
RIP KYOTA

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
Homie dont play dat!

:slap:

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
speak of the devil and he will appear :rofl:
RIP KYOTA

alpha_radiation

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 78
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
yay, but he's driving in the mountains in Colorado. I have a Detroit too (and a big grin) but I wouldn't wanna be driving cliffside with my ass sliding all over the place. just my two cents.......and yes, homie is da man!

So put it in 4 high.  When it gets to lose for comfort 4 high will save the day.  As long as he doesn't have an autolocker in the front he will be ok.

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
So put it in 4 high.  When it gets to lose for comfort 4 high will save the day.  As long as he doesn't have an autolocker in the front he will be ok.

My rear Detroit caused me way more excitement than my front Aussie that last time I ran on snowpack in 4wd.  The front wasn't bad at all, I was expecting much worse.

:dunno:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
I don't think it matters on weather it's a 4Runner or truck I think what matters is weather or not it is an auto or stick. A friend of mine has an 4Runner with a five speed and ARB's granted it won't move with them off in snow once he pop's them in his 4Runner is all over the place.

Thats wierd, when I welded my 4-Runner up it wouldn't do donuts for shizzle.  But now in my pickup its a breeze, even in a foot and a half of water :rockingout:

I have a welded rear, and 35x14.50 boggers, no problems on the dry so far, cant wait till it rains.  Around town it will be a drifting course.  :thumbsup:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile

:werd:

I've got a detroit in the rear, driven 35,000 miles on it, snow, ice, wet, dry, all of the above.  Stay smart, and take it easy and you'll stay on the roads.  I've lived in CO, and I know the roads out there, its not whats being driven, but whos behind the wheel.  I've seen a VW bug with chains do better than a toyota runner  simply because the driver knew what he was doing.  MY detroit has be pretty dang predictable for me, don't stomp it in a turn, and you don't slide :dunno: 

If you've got the coin though, you may as well go with the ARB :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent