Author Topic: should i get lockers front and rear that is street driven more than wheeled?  (Read 5087 times)

82toyotakid

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 117
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
should i get lockers front and rear that is street driven more than wheeled? or no should i wait till its a full time wheeler? :confused:

alwaysbroken

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -80
  • Male Posts: 98
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
how much do you want to spend?  Elockers or arb for the rear.. And for the front what ever u like just unlock the hubs
89 4 Runner, 3.0, 5spd, 2.28 crawl box, 4-1 atlas, prorock 60 up front, crd60 out back, on 37" mtr's

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
lock the rear (doesn't matter how; weld it, spool it, detroit, aussie, lockrite, etc.)  and if you want to have the extra traction, lock the front.  You won't mind the rear being locked, you just have to understand what it does, and when your hubs are unlocked, it doesn't matter in the front anyway.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

81yota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 56
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
My setup is a detroit locker rear and welded front. The front drives fine on the road if your hubs are unlocked. If you dont wanna spend money get your 3rds welded up. Good luck
81yota
Locked F/R
39 TSL'S
5.29's
Dual Cases

toynorcal

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 96
  • Male Posts: 435
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Easyline"
    • View Profile
Yes you should lock it, the question is what type of locker do you want to put in since it's mostly street driven.

Rear: Welded, spool, detroit or aussie.

Front: wratcheting or selectable locker types.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Just lock 'um, I've had several DD's locked front and rear it is no biggie.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
When you actually WHEEL do you utilize two lockers?  that would be my first question to myself. If you dont then there's no reason for two lockers.

Second is, realize if you do lock the front and rear you'll be going through tires alot quicker unless you have the cash to get a selectable locker such as an ARB or E-locker.
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
if its his daily driver  and  the truck is mostly stock  and he doesnt want to thrash it on the rocks     

a detroit truetrac or aussie in the rear  would be fine for him,  as his wheeling and experience grows  he can move it to the front and put something stronger in the rear  maybe a elocker
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
I've DD'd my truck for the past 3 years, locked in the rear.  Having a locked rear doesn't eat up tires noticably, and you'll be much happier off road.  Once you get that far, decide if you really need one for the front.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
should i get lockers front and rear that is street driven more than wheeled? or no should i wait till its a full time wheeler? :confused:

I've always had Detroits front and rear on my trucks. There is a occasional jerk (not the driver!) from the rear, no big deal. People look at you funny when you pull in somewhere and they hear the clicking...also, no big deal. I have heard and read very good things about the Aussies, but I have no experience with them.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
IMO lock it up front and rear.  i've got an EZ-locker in my rear end and i don't even notice the thing unless i'm going around corners and hear it clicking usually.  you will have to change your driving style a little if you like keeping your tires -- if you can, speed up before you get to a corner and coast around it with the clutch in, it'll let the locker ratchet instead of locking up and scrubbing the tires.

yodaboy4life

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 109
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
    • myspace
so if someone went with a spool  in the rear would you notice the ware in your tires any more then usual becuase i was looking into getting a spool but im not going to if it eats your tries alive
give me some duct tape some zip ties a welder and a tourch and ill do some tinkerin

82toyotakid [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
oh then i might getlockers not sure yet want some that are cheap and are usable forwheni go rock crawling

yodaboy4life

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
    • myspace
i was thinking the same thing..... i dont get very far with not haveing lockers front or rear it make me mad... the chaper the better sounds good to me
give me some duct tape some zip ties a welder and a tourch and ill do some tinkerin

82toyotakid [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
ya my words exactly lol :)

yodaboy4life

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
    • myspace
ill probably end up getting a spool if i can get any more info on if it eat your tries alive on the pavement or not

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
ill probably end up getting a spool if i can get any more info on if it eat your tries alive on the pavement or not

Not considerably, no.  Unless you  like flooring it through corners :dunno:

-Ronald Reagan

82toyotakid [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
what is spooling? i dont know a whole heck of a lot

yodaboy4life

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
    • myspace
http://marlincrawler.com/htm/diff/pickup_diff.htm#spool
check it out cheap way to locker up no worries on not knowing very much i still learning i have learned the most from people on this site oh and black dog thanks for the info on the spool ill look into it i get irritated when people fly around corners

Westy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I have a spool in the rear. On-road you will chirp the tires around corners (throw it in neutral around corners and its alot easier). As far as wear goes, it really depends on the brand of tires. A softer rubber like MTR or IROK will wear quicker than say swampers or BFGs, Pro Comps, etc.

The wear is quicker, but its not terrible. If you do ALOT of onroad driving I would sway towards a manual (ARB, e-locker) or auto (aussie, detroit, etc) otherwise the spools work great. They are maintence free, VERY reliable and just plain work off road all the time. I'd get another one, especially on a rig that doesnt see alot of street. I've got an ARB going in soon though  :greengrin:
'86 Pickup flatbed...

yodaboy4life

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
    • myspace
i will look into gettin a spool but like you said throw it into neutral i would but i dont have the stock motor i have a 4.3 with a 3speed auto behind it so it might be a lil tougher but i don't plan on running a soft compound tire i think ill run bfg's or boggers thats it i know i did not make this topic up but it helped me

yodaboy4life

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
    • myspace
btw how hard is it to put a spool in?

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
i will look into gettin a spool but like you said throw it into neutral i would but i dont have the stock motor i have a 4.3 with a 3speed auto behind it so it might be a lil tougher but i don't plan on running a soft compound tire i think ill run bfg's or boggers thats it i know i did not make this topic up but it helped me

Tossing it in nuetral is nice, but if you've got an auto, its not that big of a deal :dunno:  seriously, once you get used to it.  (maybe a few days of driving it around) you'll forget you even have it.  You won't notice much more wear on your tires, and if you rotate them regularly, you probably won't even notice it at all :thumbs:

-Ronald Reagan