Author Topic: Louisiana Disaster Help.....What do you think about it?  (Read 5282 times)

gonzo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 2000
  • Male Posts: 734
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
Louisiana Disaster Help.....What do you think about it?
« on: Sep 05, 2005, 12:08:55 PM »
There have been many questions and complaints about the disaster help for Katrina victims.  What do you think about it? 
« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2005, 02:00:04 PM by gonzo »

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
I think that whoever can help and is willing, then by all means.  I agree that they should be helped over there..If I were within a state I'd prolly be out there helpin too.  I've heard that a lot of the argument is that a lot of the victims are black, why should we help them.  WTF!!!!! They're human just like the rest of us, they still need our help :tantrum:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
I think people sheould offer all the help we safely and effectively can.  The local country station up here (105.1 KNCI) put together a drive with the Salvation Army, and they raised over 18,000 dollars. I think that is awesome.  People think that we shouldnt help, cause its in another part of the country, it doesnt affect us, and whatnot, but it does.  We shuold help them because they are our fellow Americans, our family, friends, and our fellow man.    I know the OES of CA has sent a lot of people down, I beleive almost 1000, if not more.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 881
  • Member since Feb '05
  • I named my son Wheeler!!!!
    • View Profile
Hell ya we should help.   A friend told me about a homeless guy that gave his only 20 cents to help out. That was all the guy had!!!! Thats cool!!
I don't need a winch, I wheel a TOYOTA!!!!!!!

www.wheelingarizona.com

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
there was a story about a homeless guy that did that too, and he was standing on the corner advertising to donate, it was pretty cool

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I think that whoever can help and is willing, then by all means.  I agree that they should be helped over there..If I were within a state I'd prolly be out there helpin too.  I've heard that a lot of the argument is that a lot of the victims are black, why should we help them.  WTF!!!!! They're human just like the rest of us, they still need our help :tantrum:

There are more than just blacks that lost their whole cities there, unfortunately it was the poor that could not leave the cities and for the most part those are black and that is the crux of the thought that no one cared because they were black. I listened to the Mayor's of these cities whine and moan about the slow response to aid the stranded people and a thought came to me, These same mayor's were telling everyone to get out before the hurricane struck, where were all the buses, why didn't they utilize them to remove the poor from the area? These Mayor's and the Governor of Louisiana are more at fault than the Fed's for this human lose. If they felt it was so important to get the pepole out why didn't they mobilize the guard before the hurricane struck, why didn't they use city and school buses to help those that wanted to leave but had no money or car to do so?

If we all think about it how many times has rescue organizations in California warned us here that if there were a major earthquake we may be on our own without help for up to a couple weeks and that we should have enough supplies to survive that long without any public utilities.  A localized earthquake here would be a drop in the bucket compared to what happened to the Gulf coast and it only took 5 days for Federal help to be organized and deployed to restore the Gulf. Everyone's complaining on how long it took to get help into the city but I think they did a decent job of getting organized and rolling for something of this magnitude, think about it whole cities were completely wiped clean there is nothing left but sticks, I'm not saying that they couldn't have moved faster but the whole blame is not on the Fed's, and honestly I lay most of the blame on the local government on why the death toll will be so big, they had advance warning and did nothing to help those that could not get out.

Ok I've finished venting, now give, give till it hurts those people need our help, just find something other than the American Red Cross to give your money to. :twocents:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
I have no opinion, I haven't been watching the news or reading the paper but I just got this email from a friend of mine in TN., puts things in a  perspective from someone who is there:

"My dad has a friend who lives near Baton Rouge and she wrote this to him. Thought you would like to hear another perspective on things:

"We have had a battery operated TV so we've been getting local channels focusing on the situation there and here. I'm just getting the "national perspective" and its *(&*&(*ing me off!
First, this is not a racial thing. I'm sorry if all the reporters are seeing are black faces but if they would
take their cameras to places like Slidell, Mandeville, Metairie and CHALMETTE! they would see a several thousand white faces being affected by this. Most of the tip of the boot that is Louisiana south and east of Baton Rouge is under water. Those people are stuck too waiting for help, dying, but all the news people can focus on is the Superdome.

Another misconception. The violence going on there is not the reaction of desparate people. Its typical New Orleans on any given Tuesday!!! Its a dangerous, dirty, drug infested place where the city police and city government is corrupt and useless. Volunteers are getting shot at and their cars vandelized. Hellicopters are being shot at. Just another day in the city.

Another misconception. These poor people couldn't get out because they don't have cars. If the cameras show the city once the waters recede, you'll notice all the flooded out cars littering the streets. They couldn't all have been broken down before the storm hit . Yes, there are always people who do not have transportation. Part of making the call for a MANDATORY evacuation is that the city has to provide for transportation and/or shelter in the city. People stayed for the same reasons they always stay. They think the storm will turn and go in another direction. They think they can "ride it out." Or, they're just too (*&( lazy to pack up and leave.

Another misconception. The federal government was slow to respond. The president issued a state of emergency BEFORE the storm ever hit, unprecedented. This means that the full access of the federal government, be it military or civil, were at our govenor's disposal. The levee broke early Monday afternoon. She did not call evacuation until Tuesday morning. You cannot call up National Guard units in 20 minutes. It takes time. The
governor and mayor are in high CYA mode at the moment.

The situation is bad here. Crime is becoming a problem in Gonzales and Baton Rouge where the evacuees are being housed. We live between the two cities and there is pistol on my desk shelf as a type (yes, I know how to
use it). Hellicopters flying overhead all day, gas is running out, stores shelves becoming empty. Its like a war zone. Our kids are both here and are staying here until the crime situation gets in control and I fear it
will get worse before it gets better. Pray for us."
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
I have some mixed thoughts about the response to the disaster.

On one hand, I think the response should have been faster, but then I also know that to mobilize a response this large takes time. Then I hear that the mayor/govenor didn't utilize the resources available prior to the hurricane, and have been less than efficient in utilizing the resources available makes me wonder who's driving this bus.

FEMA is unfortunatly a large beurocratic organization. Anyone who has worked with the goverment knows that they don't move quickly. I think the response was good, but a bit slow. Again, I'm hearing that they did not pull the trigger, and start their response unitl a day or two later, which is totally inappropriate. The director was some head honcho for a horse judging outfit prior to his gig as the director of FEMA. WTF?? What makes him qualified in any way to organize a gigantic operation like this?

I'm really upset with these people who are claiming race bias. I have not seen any evidence of this whatsoever. I hate to say this, but it seems like the people who are the most racist are the black folks. It seems as though they are the ones who always pull the race card. Until the black pundits (Al Sharpton - whose only purpose in life seems to be to stir chit) started pulling the race thing, nobody else had said boo about race. It irritates me that these people seem to always have a racial slant to things (both good and bad). There is no need for this. I've seen rescuers risking their lives to save white, black, yellow green and every other color without thinking twice about it. It has nothing to do with race from what I can see. Just so happens that a large percentage of the people who need rescuing are black.

I think Texas deserves huge kudos for taking so many refugees and being willing to step in and help wherever they can. I'm sure other states have done significant things to help as well (including sending relief and taking refugees), but unfortunatly you don't hear as much about them.

I could go on, but not everyone wants to hear me rant.

Erik :usa:
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
i live in texas and even tho we're taking in the most people we are DEFINETLY NOT the only state helping.
2. the rescue of all these people was not posponed because of race, pure :bull crap: that some people are saying that.
3. the government did take longer than they should have, when 70% of Houston flooded in tropical storm alison help arrived the DAY AFTER the storm. not the presidents fault, he cant help until the local government asks for it. louisianna governor was being retarted, refusing help, while the mayor was begging for help after the levies broke(within a few hours) unfortunatly help couldn't come until the stupid governor finally agreed to allow the national guard to help.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Earlier today I read an article my co-worker showed me in sundays NY Times, comparing the plight of some middle class white families with the plight of some under priviledged black families, trying to make a correlation that because they are white they are fairing better or some other such BS!

Why not compare apples to apples. Two middle class white and black families or two under priviledged white and black families.

BUT what really sticks in my craw...the article starts out by saying that this under priviledged family lost all the money they had to their name, $2000 (yes, three zeros), that burned up when their house burnt down, so now, according to the article, they just spent their last $25 on fish and shrimp from some local vender cooking on the street.

Excuse me, but if I have got a big honkin' storm bearing down on me, and I have $2000 cash in the house, the first thing I am doing is stuffing my pockets full of that cash!!

Anyhoo, I guess that is neither here nor there, but the fact is, the media is completly skewing supposed facts (like I should be surprised?)
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
it's amazing how the media can change the facts by spinning the report, and unfortunatly we're stuck believing it as fact because we don't have another perspective...

I hate the media. :censored:

ERik :usa:

gonzo [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
There is a lot of BS being spread about the disaster.   I agree we don't have any info except the F###### media.  I also, hate the media, and I don't trust them at all.  They give out the information they want to be true (if that makes any sense), and then "stand" back and watch what happens. :lipsrsealed: 

Arizona has taken in about 100 people from Louisiana, they are asking for donations of food, clothes, water, etc.  You can bet we will give them what they need and then some.  We also had some of the kids enroll in local schools. 

I have not heard much at all about Texas and Mississippi victims.  They had the storm hit there too, didn't they?  Texas is really being awesome with their hospitality and the victims from the other states.  Good job TEXAS :thumbsup: :clap2:

I'm sure that there are other states that are helping out too.

I don't know about every one else but I am looking to place the responsibilty for many of the problems with this on the Mayors of the towns.  Time will tell........

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
You know, it's interesting that everyone is so focused on New Orleans. Granted, they have a significant tragedy there, but you almost hear nothing about those towns next to and north of there that are completly wiped off the face of the earth. They don't even exist any longer. What happened to all those folks? I suppose it's not as much of a headline getter, just seeing a bunch of scattered wood that used to be a house when compared to helicopters plucking people off roofs.

I'd have to agree with you...I think the Mayor(s) and Govenor are going to have to answer some tough questions about their response (or lack there of) to the problem.

We, as a nation, are going to have to work hard together to take care of these people, and hopefully rebuild some type of infrastructure. I'm sure I'm not the only one who questions the sensiblity of rebuilding a town that sits 6-17 feet below sea level.

Hmmm... wonder if anyone would notice if they moved it a few miles up the hill.

Erik :usa:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
I'm kinda with everyone on the media.  I think it is awesome what people are doing, and that we are helping, but its stupid to get race involved.  I dont see how that is even related.  It also pisses me off when people keep bashin on the gov't, like germ said, it takes time to mobilize, but the nation did.  Texas is taking people, and Sacramento CA is going to be housing about 30o refugees soon.  I think thats awesome, and then you hear abnout people giving up frequent flier miles, ther homes, cell phones, time, and money to the refugees.  I think some people were stupid to do what they did in that entire area, and others were unfortunate, but even those that made mistakes need our help.   :twocents:

-Ronald Reagan

SLOYOTA808

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Damn Kid Off Road
Living in Hawaii, I am thinking quite a lot about how much longer a response to a catastrophe here in the islands would take.

If Katrina hit and the response takes 'x', I am afraid to see how long it would take for Hawaii to get help.

This brings up my 4x4 trucks.

Going off-road and having a winch may be the only way to get around after a disaster happens.  Clearing a fallen tree across a trail, camping in the woods, pulling out a stuck rig, avoiding or knowing how to drive through water are all training for real life disasters like Katrina. 

The tree huggers have a point with those of us who tear up the environment.  But the majority of us 4 wheelers are law abiding citizens who tread RESPONSIBLY.  And I am sure we'll be the people who Red Cross, Civil Defense, etc. will look to if something like this happens in your neighborhood.

I plan on meeting with the Red Cross soon.  Just to let them know we as 4 wheelers are out there just a call away...

It starts with local groups and clubs...

Start placing our kind on the maps...

Aloha.

:thumbs:

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
smart idea. as offroaders we've all experienced harsh terrain thats similar to after big storms.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
we can be there for good as well as for evil :disturbed:

Where is the Mammoth?

SLOYOTA808

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Damn Kid Off Road
Many people only think of us 4 wheelers as beer-drinking, macho people who run everything over.  True, we are our worse enemy.  But some good can come of this if not for helping the general public in time of need, but more importantly, our own families.

Here in Hawaii, in times of civil unrest, the mountains may be the only safe place to run to. 

gonzo [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
There was a program on NPR (National Public Radio) about the Redcross vs Salvation Army.  They both had representatives there.  It was very informative.  One item that was discussed was providing meals.  Two meals served to the victims of any disaster, one served by the Redcross and the other served by the Salvation Army were used as an example.  The two meals were identical in every way.  The meal served by the Redcross would cost them $ 6.00 to serve.  The meal served by the Salvation Army would cost them $ 3.00 to serve.  This means that the Salvation Army can help more people than the Redcross.  The interview was of the two charities was very interesting.  Basically the Redcross admitted that the Salvation Army was better prepared for a disaster of this magnitude.  Here in Arizona the state has let the Salvation Army take care of the relocated Katrina survivors.  This was a deliberate decision.  The Salvation Army has proven its self in a disaster in the past.  It has also proven that more of the money donated goes to helping the people that need help.

If you want to help more people, donate to the Salvation Army. :twocents: :usa:
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2005, 09:52:41 AM by gonzo »

SLOYOTA808

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Damn Kid Off Road
Interesting...my 84 is army green...how appropriate... :)

flourman

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 220
  • Male Posts: 333
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Got Body Damage??
    • View Profile
First of all, I give a big thumbs up for all of the rescue efforts by all parties involved.  :biggthumpup:

Second, I say tough for NO.  They built a frickin' city below sea level, what do they expect?  Of course it wasn't below sea level until the sediment settled and "made" it below sea level.  I don't mean to get all Biblical on everyone, but remember what happened to Noah?  I think maybe NO needed to be flooded to get rid of all the bad things in it. 

IMHO, forget rebuilding NO.
Doin' it FULLSIZE style!

SLOYOTA808

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Damn Kid Off Road
Must agree...can't go out and kill every shark if you get attacked while surfing...you knew the risk...it was only a matter of time...not that I don't feel bad...

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
I think I'm going fishing!!! :usa:

Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I think I'm going fishing!!! :usa:

He'll throw it back, it's contaminated. :rofl2:

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
you know i dont even know how many thousands of people came to arkansas,  but i know our governor has told people if the feds dont reimburs our expense we wont worry about.  i'v volonteered in hotsprings helping people get meds from the doctors offices and clinics that were offering medical services on there own coin. i helped 4 seperate families haul there stuff to apartments offered for no upfront rent or deposit and no rent for 2 months

the mayor of neworleans did all he could,  that dumb pregnant dog of a governor they have stood around with her thumb up her :moon:  and the FEMA guy didnt know which end of the horse to kiss, till someone told him, why do you think he resigned,
and for those that dont know,  LA.Gov. Blanco and Bush have a severe case of redass towards each other from years ago in texas,  i cant remember the details but they pretty much hate each other with a passion,  and have for alotta years,  the planes from China ,U.K. , Sirlanka, Israel, were and may still be at the LittleRock Airforce Base,  old Miss and Alabama are pretty much taking care of there own people, 

i know from 2 days befor Katrina hit people from down there were flooding into the hotels here because all in northern LA.  were full,  i saw white families sleeping in the city park because the only money they had they used for gas to get as far from the storm as possible,  it wasnt till after the storm had hit that the poor put upon black people started there "oh whoa is me" bull crap,  they didnt leave cause they couldnt loot the neighbors house if they did,    FYI  there was 17 Walmart stores damaged by the storm, (my sis works for walmart)  the 3 stores near or in Neworleans where looted clean, i mean every drug bottle from the pharmacy,  the guns and ammo from sporting goods, and everything else,  the other 14 stores willingly gave there groceries to victims because they new they would be needed, the Manager from one store in Miss said they expected to be able to acount for every item in there store besides groceries, that were given to folks that needed it

i agree with the mayor of Biloxi when he said burn the bridges to neworleans and let the looters ,rapists,and murderers rott

all the honest folks need help, and believe me theres plenty of them out there
most of the LA people i helped said they were not going back, to LA because the people here felt like family to them now
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Quote from: diggertoy
How is it that you're professionals at how the money donated is to be distributed. It's like the people that complain at why the government didn't act fast enough after katrina......I guess ya''ll expected the military to just magically appear , poof at the scene and make it all better.....Do you even have a clue at the logistics envolved in sending troops, food water, etc... to the affected areas, or what the priorities are and logistically executing them out so that they happen the most effective way.

Well if you disagree with how all these things are handled.......please feel free to leave the US, go live where you think it will be better.

Oh and the popcorn is coming out your arse

It is common knowlege that the Red Cross diverts funds intended for one cause to another thus money you have given in the name of Katrina may never help one soul in the effected areas of the disaster. The Salvation Army on the other hand uses all money given to a disaster or cause for that disaster or cause. Pretty simple math there, if you want to help with disaster relief for Katrina give to the Salvation Army and indicate that you want the $ spent on disaster relief for Katrina, if you want to support the Red Cross then just give to them, don't bother to tell them where you want the $ spent.

Also just for your information the United States of America is a place to where you can have a different view or idea than just what you feel is right. You can live here and not fear eviction from the country just because you feel differently than someone else. I was born here and even if I wasn't have a legal right to be here and have a different view than you.

...Oh, I didn't know popcorn comes from the bubble above your neck. :rofl2:

« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2005, 06:21:55 PM by Rocksurfer »

gonzo [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner

Also just for your information the United States of America is a place to where you can have a different view or idea than just what you feel is right. You can live here and not fear eviction from the country just because you feel differently than someone else. I was born here and even if I wasn't have a legal right to be here and have a different view than you.

...Oh, I didn't know popcorn comes from the bubble above your neck. :rofl2:

:yupyup: :thumbsup: