Author Topic: Maybe we can fight gas prices???  (Read 1879 times)

bluerunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -100
  • Male Posts: 142
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Maybe we can fight gas prices???
« on: Sep 01, 2005, 04:17:23 PM »
Subject: RE: Gas prices

I hear we are going to hit close to $3.00 a gallon by the summer Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action. Phillip Hollsworth, offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain Day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $1.97 for regular unleaded in my town.(California) Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have Conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50- $1.75,we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace....not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocket book that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a Price war.

Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from The two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! . .

If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am... so trust me on this one.)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!!

I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you?

Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK. YOU KNOW THEY LOVE HOLIDAYS AND SUMMER TRAVELERS.

:beer:
Ted Striker: Surely you can't be serious.

Rumack: I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

KWP

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 878
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Ghost Hunter
    • View Profile
    • East Central Oklahoma Paranormal Society
Re: Maybe we can fight gas prices???
« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2005, 04:24:12 PM »
 That sounds like one hell of an idea. :biggthumpup:
88 Toyota truck ( Under Construction ) Dana 60's front and rear 5.38's, welded diffs, 3inch Downey rears up front,one link rear with aerostar coils rolling on 39.5x16.50/17 Pittbull Rockers and 17x9 Pro Comp extreme alloys.http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=40816.0

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2005, 04:33:32 PM »
FYI:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp (this has been circulating since 2001)

"A boycott of a couple of brands of gasoline won't result in lower overall prices. Prices at all the non-boycotted outlets would rise due to the temporarily limited supply and increased demand, making the original prices look cheap by comparison. The shunned outlets could then make a killing by offering gasoline at its "normal" (i.e., pre-boycott) price or by selling off their output to the non-boycotted companies, who will need the extra supply to meet demand. The only person who really gets hurt in this proposed scheme is the service station operator, who has almost no control over the price of gasoline."

so what we need to is circulate that rumor, and buy from the stations being boycotted.

and the other popular circulated boycott:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp (circulated since 2000)

Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

88runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 756
  • Member since May '03
  • Click me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 01, 2005, 04:36:37 PM »
sad reality is it won't do nothing to them, when companies have too much of gas they simply sell it to the companie next to them.
88 4runner v6,
5.29 with 35" tires,
Isuzu Rodeo rear disk brake,
t-case hand brake in near futur
solid axle'd

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 01, 2005, 04:45:24 PM »
I may have to argue the biggest companies being exxon and mobil. I can't think of the last time I saw either as a gas station. I would think shell would be a bigger player than exxon. Just my  :twocents:
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #5 on: Sep 01, 2005, 04:50:33 PM »
The only thing that would hurt gas companies, would be to not buy gas. Plain and simple.

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 01, 2005, 04:54:26 PM »
wa4x4, since that rumor boycott started in 2001 they may have been big then. I know most of the Exxon's around us have closed and you don't see a lot of Mobil's.

And Mini that is exactly it. To buy the most fuel efficient vehicles we could possibly find, take alternate means of transportation, ride  :shudder: scooters...would do the trick. Not boycotting for a day. Think about it too. If I was going to boycott on Sept. 3 but needed gas on Sept. 2 I would fill up that day knowing I ws going to boycott the next day. So what is their loss?

Check out that www.snopes.com site. It makes for some really interesting reading as well as some great myth busting. I've been going there for years.

(at a company at least 6 years ago I was know as "The Hoax Buster")
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

bluerunner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -100
  • Male Posts: 142
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 01, 2005, 05:02:51 PM »
just thought it was something to think about.

i really appreciate some different opinions!  :beerchug:

Thanks MWM I coulndt have said it better! :thumbs:

Ted Striker: Surely you can't be serious.

Rumack: I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 01, 2005, 05:38:08 PM »
I love to enlighten the world to the truth of myths. (they don't have a whole show on TV about it now for no reason. I started Hoaxbusting way before they started their show. Which I love  :love: )
I have a picture of me as The Hoax Buster from an office halloween party a few years back but I think it's at work.
Whenever you get an email that "swears to be true" go to www.snopes.com and give it a looksee first. Chances are better then not that it's not.

Where is the Mammoth?