Author Topic: which tires to get  (Read 23081 times)

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: which tires to get
« Reply #60 on: Aug 03, 2005, 03:47:48 PM »
well, sames takes 5-10 business days to get the tires in and you have to pay up front :down: I couldnt do that

Well that makes a huge difference  :beerchug:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

trailhunter

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 205
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Canadians like to give'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Aug 03, 2005, 09:57:53 PM »
picking a tire set up is kinda  like picking a grain of bullet for hunting. You will always get the guys that say bigger is better......you know the guys that hunt deer with a 250 grain bullet when a 150 will do the same job. Tires are the same............i have a friend that will do ALMOST anything i do with my brand new BFG's( 33's) with his bald 31's. (not mud though) In some situations he gets better traction on the rocks than me.

I don't know......maybe I'm just drunk but I'm one of those guys that say bigger is better.........TBL's look like the most aggressive tire on the market, its to bad they come in stupid sizes.

I'm going to finish my beer and go to bed before i make an ass out of my self.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #62 on: Aug 04, 2005, 05:52:31 PM »
picking a tire set up is kinda  like picking a grain of bullet for hunting. You will always get the guys that say bigger is better......you know the guys that hunt deer with a 250 grain bullet when a 150 will do the same job. Tires are the same............i have a friend that will do ALMOST anything i do with my brand new BFG's( 33's) with his bald 31's. (not mud though) In some situations he gets better traction on the rocks than me.

I don't know......maybe I'm just drunk but I'm one of those guys that say bigger is better.........TBL's look like the most aggressive tire on the market, its to bad they come in stupid sizes.

I'm going to finish my beer and go to bed before i make an ass out of my self.

So,  ahhhh....how's that hangover comin?  :shudder:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

trailhunter

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 205
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Canadians like to give'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Aug 04, 2005, 09:53:48 PM »
 :biggthumpup:  i feel great now .......but for a while :sick: ohhhhh my lol

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #64 on: Aug 04, 2005, 11:00:21 PM »
 :haha:

:biggthumpup:  i feel great now .......but for a while :sick: ohhhhh my lol

Jafa

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -38
  • Male Posts: 8
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Aug 04, 2005, 11:49:36 PM »
Get these babies!!...Simex Extreme Trekkers,they work great in the mud ,good on rocks, not bad on the road but only up to 36" tho
'89 Hilux,1UZ-FE,coils,4 links,4inch sus,3inch body/engine/drivetrain,int cage,PTO 12000lb milemarker hyd(mid mounted),rancho's,36' Simex ET's,secondair beadlocks,4wdiscs, full floater rear,TF handbrake,ARB front locker,Detroit EZ rear,30spline Longs......

New Zealand

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #66 on: Aug 05, 2005, 07:13:08 AM »
Get these babies!!...Simex Extreme Trekkers,they work great in the mud ,good on rocks, not bad on the road but only up to 36" tho

Wow I've never seen those before :headscratch:

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #67 on: Aug 05, 2005, 02:05:40 PM »
I saw a ford 250 deuly   with  narrow 33-35s?  it was wierd :dunno:
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #68 on: Aug 05, 2005, 04:11:44 PM »
I saw a ford 250 deuly   with  narrow 33-35s?  it was wierd :dunno:

Yeah dually's look funny lifted and on tires :lipsrsealed:

SWAMPER

• Turtle Points: 790
  • Male Posts: 3,599
  • Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Aug 06, 2005, 10:23:55 AM »
Those tires are hella expensive to get here in america i think a company in australia makes em they are pretty tough but also come in odd sizes i belive
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Aug 06, 2005, 10:48:04 AM »
well I just made the switch from 36" tsls to 37" mtrs and I can say I will never run a super swamper on the road again.  and just my  :twocents: I can stand a bad riding car but those tires are horrible.  the mtrs made it like a whole new truck.

scyota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 427
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Aug 06, 2005, 12:10:24 PM »
I have a set of Swamper Truxus M/T's on my Runner. They are a little less agressive than the other swampers out there, but are very quiet on the road and have worn pretty well. Good traction in all conditions so far.
1993 4Runner SAS - SOLD

'01.5 Audi S4 2.7TT Stage 3

SWAMPER

• Turtle Points: 790
  • Male Posts: 3,599
  • Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: Aug 07, 2005, 02:17:30 PM »
I have heard that several times about the Truxus M/T's quiet and wear well....and yeah for a DD mostly street rig the MTR's are the way to go swampers are agressive tires though they do ok on the street the excel off-highway you have to give something up in order to work well in other conditions....the MTR's handle well on road but on anything besides rock they pretty much suck
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

J-BO

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 375
  • Male Posts: 70
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Take it apart
    • View Profile
Do 35" or 37" MTR's measure more or less than the nominal dimensions?  I want to get the biggest tire possible on my Runner.  36" IROKS is what I want, but I will end up driving my rig around the street some.
1985 Toyota 4Runner
22RE, 63" chevy's out back, hybrid rears up front.  36" IROKs, dual stock cases, Lincoln locked rear, and Aussie locked front.

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD DD/TR
6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel, 6" Rancho Lift, Edge Juice Attitude Programer, 35" MTZ's.

toybuilt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -275
  • Male Posts: 1,116
  • Member since Feb '05
  • toy + chevy = Toy-vie
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Aug 09, 2005, 10:31:05 PM »
36" Iroks are really 36.5" I believe. MTR's are real good about keeping theres sizes that size.
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road

1983 Toyota Turned Chevy

Treat every day like its your last, because you never know when your time is up. In loving memory of Judstin.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #75 on: Aug 10, 2005, 10:24:41 AM »
36" Iroks are really 36.5" I believe. MTR's are real good about keeping theres sizes that size.

:headshake: why can't they just make the tire the size that's imprinted on the sidewall?

:psss: I guess in some cases you'd be gettin the better end of the deal huh? :headscratch:

toybuilt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • toy + chevy = Toy-vie
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Aug 10, 2005, 09:21:29 PM »

:psss: I guess in some cases you'd be gettin the better end of the deal huh? :headscratch:

Only a cuple are what they say.

1983 Toyota Turned Chevy

Treat every day like its your last, because you never know when your time is up. In loving memory of Judstin.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #77 on: Aug 11, 2005, 08:47:46 AM »
Only a cuple are what they say.

So I've noticed, though I've never bought tires new before, I had a set of 33's that were as big as my 35" boggers ::) don't ask me to remember what they were though :lipsrsealed:  :hammer:

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Aug 11, 2005, 04:23:01 PM »
the MTR's handle well on road but on anything besides rock they pretty much suck

Have you ran the tires and do you know from experience from running the tires?
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #79 on: Aug 11, 2005, 04:42:35 PM »
In my uneducated opinion i would say that the best trail tire for say dirt, mud, snow, rocks, mabey not so much sand unless its a wide tire, would have to be just a plain old TSL. :sly:   For a rig that is daily driven and someone going for a god ride and decent wear but still have good trail performance I would say go MTR.  I just have to add that i love boggers but unfortunatley they have no side hilling traction but nothing gets you to the top of the hill faster.   :twocents: This is not fact or fiction just my honest opinion from my expereince

To The Floor

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 220
  • Male Posts: 393
  • Member since Jul '04
  • THE KRAK
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Aug 11, 2005, 08:58:42 PM »
best tires for offroad by far are MICHELIN X-TERRAIN. they kick so much ass and rock!
in the projects nooga, anything goes

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #81 on: Aug 12, 2005, 06:36:09 AM »
best tires for offroad by far are MICHELIN X-TERRAIN. they kick so much ass and rock!

:headscratch: not sure I've seen those :dunno:

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #82 on: Aug 12, 2005, 03:51:03 PM »
Are you sure you dont mean Pro-comp x-terrains?  I dont know much about michelin tires.  If you are talking about the Pro-comps They do good in snow and rocks but not much else.  My  :twocents:

silver_truck

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 44
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Aug 12, 2005, 10:40:00 PM »
Or do you mean Michelin XMLs? those do tend to kick some serious ass off road helps that they're almost 5 feet tall

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Aug 14, 2005, 11:32:09 PM »
I run 35" toyos m/t   great in the mud, so far 4000 miles and very very little wear. If you give a crap about noise these tires are the quietest they make, I cant hear them at all at 80 mph.....
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

toybuilt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • toy + chevy = Toy-vie
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Aug 24, 2005, 12:11:06 AM »
The Toyo MT is a good tire and they are really quiet, but your engine must be at 4000rph's because you should here them at 80mpr

1983 Toyota Turned Chevy

OldschoolJay

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 19
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Nov 10, 2005, 03:25:16 PM »
i really like my 35" krawlers, work good in any condition i have found.

Crawler677

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 324
  • Member since Oct '05
  • BRRAaappp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Nov 17, 2005, 03:15:00 PM »
im puttin 305/70 R16 BFG mud terrains on my taco,   should be gettin it back from the shop sunday

i'll let you know what i think of them when i get a chance to get on the trail again
'99 SR5/TRD Tacoma w/5vzfe. SAS'd with 64" diamond axle (w/ long superset & ARB). about 5" of lift, 305/75 x16 BFG KM1's. Soon to come: 1.5" more lift (6.5"), 35 to 37" tire, undecided at this point., 63" F/F diamond rear, Marlin 4.7 tacobox.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Nov 17, 2005, 07:07:16 PM »
The 35x1350x15 toyo open country MT is the tire you want, they last longer than all terrans, they have strong sidewalls and I've seen them in the mud, they do pretty well. Of course I work at Les Schwab tires.

I know this is old but...other day I was at les schwab having a couple of tires peeled and there was a set of toyo mts sittin there mounted up.  My friend saw me side eyein them and says "they're 35s, big huh?!".  I thought they were a 37, they looked a bit taller than my 35s.  He said they're way expensive, but they still can't keep em on the shelf.  I said I thought they looked almost identical to the new cooper/hercules mts, and he said they are, and due to the popularity and high price of the toyos they had to stock the coopers to fill the void.  If I ever wear my 35s out I will look very seriously at the coopers cause I've had great luck with my last 2 sets, they work well in the mud, on the street, have a flexy sidewall and last well also.  Like FFC said, sometimes it pays to try the cheap tires.  They also had a free no questions asked replacement warranty up to 50% wear. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Crawler677

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 324
  • Member since Oct '05
  • BRRAaappp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Nov 18, 2005, 06:04:51 PM »
im puttin 305/70 R16 BFG mud terrains on my taco, should be gettin it back from the shop sunday

i'll let you know what i think of them when i get a chance to get on the trail again

just got em,   they look like there gonna be sick,   cant wait to get em on and put some feedback up here
'99 SR5/TRD Tacoma w/5vzfe. SAS'd with 64" diamond axle (w/ long superset & ARB). about 5" of lift, 305/75 x16 BFG KM1's. Soon to come: 1.5" more lift (6.5"), 35 to 37" tire, undecided at this point., 63" F/F diamond rear, Marlin 4.7 tacobox.