Author Topic: which tires to get  (Read 23080 times)

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: which tires to get
« Reply #30 on: Jul 31, 2005, 10:02:08 AM »
Have you had trouble with the sidewalls?

Yeah I got an all terrain with a gash in the sidewalls, they're very thin. And I know lots of other people that would agree with me.... just puttin in my  :twocents:  that's all
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

gonzo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 2000
  • Male Posts: 734
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
« Reply #31 on: Jul 31, 2005, 10:21:34 AM »
Yeah I got an all terrain with a gash in the sidewalls, they're very thin. And I know lots of other people that would agree with me.... just puttin in my :twocents: that's all

How old are the tires FFC?

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jul 31, 2005, 10:36:28 AM »
My concern about getting MTRs is that they dont seem to have open enough tread to handle lots of mud.  Id like to get mtrs... they are cheaper than everything else.  But it seems to me that SSRs or IROKs with their very open tread and larger outter lugs would be superior in the mud compared to MTRs.  I would just get the IROKs but im not sure if they will fit.
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

decyfer

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 240
  • Member since Mar '05
  • look at that ass
    • View Profile
    • my little business
« Reply #33 on: Jul 31, 2005, 10:55:40 AM »
mtrs would be better for every other aspect of use. why don't you just cut the voids bigger, make your own custom tread
is it bad when you unplug the power wire from your stereo and it still plays

SWAMPER

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 790
  • Male Posts: 3,599
  • Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jul 31, 2005, 11:21:11 AM »
MTR's do suck on mud.....they act like an A/T in it
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #35 on: Jul 31, 2005, 12:04:42 PM »
How old are the tires FFC?

Beats me I got em from a friend :lipsrsealed:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

gonzo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 2000
  • Male Posts: 734
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
« Reply #36 on: Jul 31, 2005, 12:08:07 PM »
MTR's do suck on mud.....they act like an A/T in it

I don't know about mud :dunno:.....but they do good as an all around tire.  DD, sand, rock, streams, etc.

silver_truck

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 44
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Jul 31, 2005, 05:55:01 PM »
I've heard that they suck in mud if you can't spin em fast, real fast. The ones I've seen in action up here in Wa don't grab in the mud well at all. My LTBs and BFG M/Ts do alot better in the majority of the mud we encounter. What about IROK radials?

toybuilt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -275
  • Male Posts: 1,116
  • Member since Feb '05
  • toy + chevy = Toy-vie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jul 31, 2005, 06:11:34 PM »
The 35x1350x15 toyo open country MT is the tire you want, they last longer than all terrans, they have strong sidewalls and I've seen them in the mud, they do pretty well. Of course I work at Les Schwab tires.
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road

1983 Toyota Turned Chevy

Treat every day like its your last, because you never know when your time is up. In loving memory of Judstin.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #39 on: Jul 31, 2005, 06:23:43 PM »
The 35x1350x15 toyo open country MT is the tire you want, they last longer than all terrans, they have strong sidewalls and I've seen them in the mud, they do pretty well. Of course I work at Les Schwab tires.

I agree with Aaron :yesnod:  They're very similar to the MT/R but the sidewall is more agressive, right? Not to mention they cost more but they're a great tire...I'd run em in a heartbeat :yupyup:

toyman2

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jul 31, 2005, 08:07:57 PM »
37x14.5  toyo open countrys is what ill be running i have heard nothing but good and more good about these  (BTW Les Schwabs sucks i have worked in 2 differnt stores) but the tires are good

FYI  i was never fired from Schwabs and i still do buissness with them

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #41 on: Jul 31, 2005, 08:56:27 PM »
Geez, get off the crack and just order your red label krawlers, no don't look at the price, just give the nice man you credit card number.   :gap:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #42 on: Jul 31, 2005, 10:50:41 PM »
Geez, get off the crack and just order your red label krawlers, no don't look at the price, just give the nice man you credit card number.   :gap:

:clap2: :rofl2:

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Aug 01, 2005, 03:45:16 PM »
why dont people here like super swamper tires  :dunno: ?  I just dont get it lol.  Toyos are out of the question because they are at least $40 more per tire than anything else ive looked at.  I think im realy leaning toward 35x12.50 SSRs because they have a tread thats proven to be good in the mud and they claim to be decent on the highway.  However please do keep the opinions coming  :biggthumpup:

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

SWAMPER

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 790
  • Male Posts: 3,599
  • Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Aug 01, 2005, 03:52:30 PM »
We love Interco tires here man proly more than half the ppl on this board run em but there are more tires out there than Interco so you will always get different opinions....Go with the SSR's street manners will proly be liveable
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Aug 01, 2005, 04:06:45 PM »
Mud sucks! Just go with a tire thats good for rocks and do that instead  :yupyup:

I dont know why people say MTRs suck so bad in mud. I had mine in some nasty thick clay mud and they cleaned themself really well. Just go with something thats better for street, Unless you are going to be in mud going everywhere you go, then get something that is good for mud. Think about what youre going to be doing most. I chose MT/Rs because I am going to be DD'ing my truck most the time, and thats what ive been doing most of the time. I also drive it to the trails which are from 130miles round trip to fordyce that was 300miles.

I heard the SSRs arent that bad on street but they also arent that good in mud.
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Aug 01, 2005, 04:14:43 PM »
well when i think about it 85% of the wheelin ive done in the past has been in the mud.. the other 15% is during the summer when the mud dries and the hills are steep.  as much as id like to be a rock crawler there just arent that many rock crawling areas realy close by... so ill only be doing a small amount of rockcrawlin.  Is there a radial tire out there that will do better in mud than the SSRs that comes in a 35x12.50 and is close in price to the SSRs?  Its got to be a tire thats got siping and does acceptably in the rain, ice and snow.

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Aug 01, 2005, 06:13:23 PM »
Go with the SSR and have the tires siped!  They have machines at most tire stores that will do it!  And you can have just the center tread siped or all of it!    At les schwab they brainwash ya to sell nothing but Toyo's, I know.  They got a major markup on them!  Spendt 7 years too many working for them!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #48 on: Aug 02, 2005, 09:52:09 AM »
Well shoot, if you're worried about price, go with a generic mud terrain.  There are quite a few out there that are really aggressive and last.  I had some Hercules Terra Tracs and if I could find em for sale somewhere I'd jump on em.  I loved em.  The Dunlops are also decent, as well as the Big O's... SSR's are nice and would be a lot more street friendly if you had them siped  :thumbs:

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Aug 02, 2005, 12:23:24 PM »
SSRs come from the factory siped.  So they are ready to roll in the rain and everything else.  Well i guess my mind is finally made up about what tires to get.  Im getting SSRs... once i get them and run them for awhile ill let everyone know how they do  :biggthumpup: .  Thanks for all the opinions.

eddyb

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 230
  • Male Posts: 203
  • Member since Jun '05
  • I'm here, I'm in gear, get used to it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Aug 02, 2005, 01:32:27 PM »
I'm running dunlop mud rovers, good tire and easy on the checkbook. 
A bad day of wheelin' is better than a good day at work

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #51 on: Aug 02, 2005, 02:13:09 PM »
I'm running dunlop mud rovers, good tire and easy on the checkbook. 

I haven't heard any complaints bout those, I got a few friends who run em

nowhitefenders

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -55
  • Male Posts: 146
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Rear bumper, G54- built by ''The Man'' Marlin!
    • View Profile
    • www.nowhitefenders.com
« Reply #52 on: Aug 02, 2005, 08:36:26 PM »
 ;)   I run 35" Xterrains...no problems with them a bit.  Everyone I know runs MTRz, which are great, I just don't notice any less performance with mine than the MTRz...plus when they go on sale, you can get 4 Xterrains for the price of 3.

toybuilt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -275
  • Male Posts: 1,116
  • Member since Feb '05
  • toy + chevy = Toy-vie
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Aug 03, 2005, 10:33:04 AM »
I love TSL's, thats what I'm running and thats going to be my next tire. I'm just saying that if your going to be on the road alot the Toyo's are going to last alot longer, but they'll still work good.
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road

1983 Toyota Turned Chevy

Treat every day like its your last, because you never know when your time is up. In loving memory of Judstin.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #54 on: Aug 03, 2005, 02:56:42 PM »
I love TSL's, thats what I'm running and thats going to be my next tire. I'm just saying that if your going to be on the road alot the Toyo's are going to last alot longer, but they'll still work good.

And that comes down to a toss up between Toyos and MTR's, which are very similar in tread pattern...I've seen MTR's offroad everywhere, but I've never seen Toyos offroad..... :headscratch: Be they very similar, are the Toyo's as durable as the MTR? :dunno:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Aug 03, 2005, 03:32:38 PM »
I've run the MTRs and BFG MTs.  I also need my tires to be good DDs, and have decent offroad manners too.  I have been happy with both, however my MTs are quieter.  If you're lookin at DDing rain or snow, both are good choices.  I have no opinion on the other tires, simply because I have not run them.

oh yeah, :psss: American tires beats great prices, got 35" BFG MTs installed mounted and balanced for 762
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #56 on: Aug 03, 2005, 03:35:59 PM »

oh yeah, :psss: American tires beats great prices, got 35" BFG MTs installed mounted and balanced for 762

I LOVE America's Tire Co.  If I were to get new tires I'd go there....I've had good experiences every time I've gone there and the guy I go to beats any price I show him from a competitor  :yupyup:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Aug 03, 2005, 03:37:57 PM »
I LOVE America's Tire Co.  If I were to get new tires I'd go there....I've had good experiences every time I've gone there and the guy I go to beats any price I show him from a competitor  :yupyup:

I didnt even have to show them, I told them I could get them at sams club for 765, and he said, well how does 762 sound? (original quote was 805)

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #58 on: Aug 03, 2005, 03:40:40 PM »
I didnt even have to show them, I told them I could get them at sams club for 765, and he said, well how does 762 sound? (original quote was 805)

:rofl2: every buck helps right?

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Aug 03, 2005, 03:44:50 PM »
:rofl2: every buck helps right?

well, sames takes 5-10 business days to get the tires in and you have to pay up front :down: I couldnt do that

-Ronald Reagan