Author Topic: cheep snorkel  (Read 4099 times)

toy87

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -408
  • Male Posts: 175
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
cheep snorkel
« on: Jun 01, 2005, 11:38:51 PM »
Just thought i would share the buildup of dirtman's and I's snorkels on our 86 carb pick up, and 87 efi runner
We started with one trip to home depot to get the needed tubing and connectors, of course there was more than one trip to home depot, when do you ever get it right on the first try, ohh well, however it only took us 3 trips over 2 days to get both trucks done, (almost). we started with dirtmans pick up, we figured the carb might be easier and he felt like being the Ginny pig.

We decided our snorkels would exit out the hood and when not in use would act as a ram air, kinda. The best way we figured to go about this was to take the tube out of the engine bay and under the fender and then back into the engine bay and out the hood. From the hood out let we could mount a 90 degree connector and get the Ram air affect that we talked about. When we wanted the full snorkel the connector would turn around and connect to a tube that runs to the top of the truck.

We completed these snorkels with about 6 feet of 2inch tubing each. Dirtman used 4 90 degree connectors while I used 5 90degree connectors and we each used one rubber 2in to 2in connector at the hood line. We both used two 60 degree connectors and the rest of the tube to make the final pieces of the snorkel. We found out the hood line is not exactly 60 degrees, it’s less, but we made them work. The last thing we used was a connector that has a drain plug in it, while this seemed like a better idea in the store we decided to run them anyway and make them function better at a later date.

For dirtmans carb truck, we took his stock intake tube and cut the end off, we then made sure it would fit into the 2in pipe we got to make the snorkels with, lucky us, it did. The tube was then routed outside of the engine bay with a hole that was cut in the inner fender. We used a jig saw to make all our metal cuts because my roommate has one and it was free to use, A hole saw would probably have made better cuts but they are not cheep. We did all this work with the outer fender off to make the cuts a lot easier. The second hole was then mapped out deciding that the tube would enter the engine bay just about the coil. The second cut was made and the tubing put into place. It is in this tube between these two holes that we decided to put our drain connectors, we will decide later if they are worth it. After the tube was routed back into the engine bay the hole was cut into the hood, while the jigsaw scraped both our hoods, proper caution could have been taken and we feel the scratches could have been avoided. It was at this point we used the 2in to 2in rubber connector with hose clamps. This would then allow us to take off all the tubing outside of the vehicle and mount the 90 degree ram air idea we wanted and still give us a good seal. After we did a number on the hoods it was decided that we needed a decorative cover for the pretty nasty cuts we made, it was on out third trip that we found 4in test plugs that worked perfectly, we cut the centers out of them and they covered the bad cuts we made perfectly.

The same procedure was done for my efi runner with the exception of the beginning of the snorkel. It worked out that the hole in the front of the air box was perfect for the 2in 90 degree connection, and with a little tape and glue fit perfectly. With the efi the intake is allready airtight after the air filter, so makeing the snorkel is easier than a carburated setup that is not allready air tight. This made the final tuches on the efi runner non existant, but we are still working on the airtight seal on the carb truck

For the total job including glue we both spent about 25 dollars for snorkels we feel with get the job done.
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2005, 12:42:02 AM by toy87 »
EVIL TURTLES LOVE ME

toy87 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: cheep snorkel
« Reply #1 on: Jun 01, 2005, 11:42:29 PM »
some more pics, the final pics of dirtman's and the beginning of mine,
will get final pics of the snorkels with the over the hood connections made, however i can't quite decide on how to mount a semi permanent snorkel to the a pillar, any suggestions?
EVIL TURTLES LOVE ME

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 02, 2005, 01:18:58 AM »
I had one close to that on my 83 p/u..I unded up turning the opening torwards the widsheild..still got water in it,,but very little and never enough to kill the motor..I found a 7.3 power stroke throttle cover that helped alot and it looked good..
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 02, 2005, 01:21:05 AM »
on the tacoma I came off the factory intake and used for flex tube from ace hardware..It fit perfect..I made a gatoraide sheild for the top...

Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

toy87 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 2005, 05:54:37 PM »
This is what it looks like with the add on piece, not real sure how to mount it tho, any idea? don't forget i will be taking it off and on, so semi permanent mounts are ideal.
EVIL TURTLES LOVE ME

tanman2003

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 225
  • Male Posts: 102
  • Member since Feb '05
  • The Tan Man
    • View Profile
    • My 4Runner
« Reply #5 on: Jun 02, 2005, 09:28:45 PM »
on my buddies i drilled 2 small holes in the pillar and 2 small holes of the same size. in some hose clamps. i then riveted them to the a pillar. then the pipe was held by the hose clamps.

you could do this and take the pipe off, however you will have 2 hose clamps sitting there. i guess you could use a sheet metal screw with a flat head or something.

NUb

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 135
  • Male Posts: 164
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Represent the 805
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 02, 2005, 09:31:51 PM »
I have to say that looks gay but if it works. have you tired zip ties they work for lots of things

I like your new bumper that looks nice

Jeff
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2005, 09:47:52 PM by NUb »
I would Take my truck offroad but then it would get dirty

94 exta cab 84 frame
4.88 electrics w/duals and 35's
Tacoma bed?

toy87 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 02, 2005, 09:45:45 PM »
I like your new bumper that looks nice

Jeff
new bumper thanks to insurance.

don't know what to attach the zip ties to, but i do like the hoseclamp idea but i do not want to leave them on the truck, maybe a removable screw like sheetmetal, but it might leak. got to try something, anyother ideas, thanks for the input tanman, and Mr 4x4, Jeff not so much and what lost things do zip ties work for anyway.
EVIL TURTLES LOVE ME

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 02, 2005, 10:31:27 PM »
I would say use a combination of hose clamps around the pipe, and some sort of clamp type attachment to the rain gutter rail above the door.  Think vise grip type clamp, so you can just unclamp and remove the whole thing with the hose clamp still installed.  I don't know, you'd have to fiddle with some ideas to get it right.

I do have to ask, why not exit the snorkle through the fender like most of the others you see so that removing it is not necessary, and you don't have a hole in the hood?

toy87 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 02, 2005, 11:16:38 PM »
thanks Jesse i will have to look for that type of clamp would be really handy.
As for the hole in the hood.
We felt that using tubing such as we did the exit out of the fender does not look as nice. its really not to bad to undo, for normal driving the hose clamp is just tight enough to hold the 90 degree connector in and it pulls out pretty easy. Taking the snorkel on and off is gonna be a different story tho, but i only wanted to use the snorkel when i need it, not have it on all the time, don't need the extra vision impairment(not really much), or the wind noise(probably not much either). the only reason i now want it removable is because of the snorkel running through the hood. so now i am just gonna make it work. I am happy with it, it just needs a few tweaks, thanks again for your guys' input.
EVIL TURTLES LOVE ME

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 03, 2005, 10:07:21 AM »
There are the little 3m backed zip tie attachments.  Go to a electronics store, like radio shack, frys, and etc. and they are 3m backed with little crown on top whereas the zip ties run through!  I've used them for running wires.  I've seen them in larger sizes!  Just make sure the area is clean when attaching!   
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

toy87 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 03, 2005, 04:21:12 PM »
thanks cheese i will check that out.
EVIL TURTLES LOVE ME