Author Topic: REVISED "How Long can a New engine run without oil pressure?" How F'in Stupid!!!  (Read 9020 times)

BLUCRUZ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 241
  • Male Posts: 470
  • Member since Mar '04
  • CA4WD LIFE MEMBER
    • View Profile
I am absolutely ill  :sick: :reg:
I found the freakin problem. A 3rd allen head set screw inside the block was missing. This was allowing oil to go straight through the pump, past the pressure sensors and straight back into the pan without flowing through the filter. It is located on the inside of the block behind & below the oil pressure sensor. You have to drop the pan to see it. I now have 12psi at idle & 55psi at cruising speed :biggthumpup:
72 FJ40. 350 Multiport EFI, turbo 400, ORION T-case, 35 Procomp's  disk brakes front & rear, ARB's F&R and an onboard shower for the ladies!
86 sr-5 4runner SAS conversion. E-lockers F&R, 5.29's 4.7 Marlin case.

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
My brother had the same problem on his fresh engine, except for two things.  One, it showed that he had pressure, just that it was low, and two, it was the galley plug behind the timing cover that was missing.  Count yourself lucky, he got a mile out of town when the engine locked up.  Turned the rods blue.  He also had to get a new crank.

crawlerdan

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
have you tried using a high flow oil pump, you can get one at lc engineering, also, i had the same prob you have a while ago, i got some silicone sealer stuck in the oil pump/ timing chain area so it wouldnt build presure. hope that helps a little?

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
never ever use silicone sealer near oil passages.  They did that when they rebuilt my engine, and it plugged the tensioner, making the chain slap around.  When I pulled the cover off, there were bits of silicone all over the place.  Definietly not an area where "the bigger the glob the better the job" applies. . .

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Glad you found the trouble.  :clap:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg: