Author Topic: 22r Won't Start  (Read 6418 times)

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1293
  • Male Posts: 537
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
Re: 22r Won't Start
« Reply #90 on: Sep 03, 2023, 02:33:13 PM »
The easier the fix, the more difficult it is to find. One time I spent an entire day, the car was driven in, tuned it up and it wouldn't start. Turned out the thing ran out of gas as it got to my house. Yeah, couple of gallons of fuel and it jjust about started right up.

Is there fuel in the tank??  :hammerhead:
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

Yotaoverland [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 208
  • Member since Feb '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Sep 05, 2023, 04:01:38 PM »
The easier the fix, the more difficult it is to find. One time I spent an entire day, the car was driven in, tuned it up and it wouldn't start. Turned out the thing ran out of gas as it got to my house. Yeah, couple of gallons of fuel and it jjust about started right up.

Is there fuel in the tank??  :hammerhead:

Hahaha dang! Yea, it has fuel.
1980 pickup LWB
22reperformance 22r
L-52 5spd
4.7 Tcase
Detroit Trutrac

Yotaoverland [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Sep 17, 2023, 07:38:41 AM »
Small update: My truck is STILL AT THAT SHOP!  :smack: :shocking: ???
1980 pickup LWB
22reperformance 22r
L-52 5spd
4.7 Tcase
Detroit Trutrac

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Sep 17, 2023, 02:19:25 PM »
Small update: My truck is STILL AT THAT SHOP!  :smack: :shocking: ???

Looks like they just don't want to attempt a diagnosis. I bet there's nobody over 30 in that shop. Your truck doesn't have an OBD2 port and they just can't handle it. :shocking: :yikes: :shocking: :help: :shocking:
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

Yotaoverland [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Sep 17, 2023, 06:09:49 PM »
Looks like they just don't want to attempt a diagnosis. I bet there's nobody over 30 in that shop. Your truck doesn't have an OBD2 port and they just can't handle it. :shocking: :yikes: :shocking: :help: :shocking:

Haha right. I'm going to have to take it to a different shop. I did find an OEM harness, I may swap the entire harness in.
1980 pickup LWB
22reperformance 22r
L-52 5spd
4.7 Tcase
Detroit Trutrac

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Sep 18, 2023, 01:30:30 PM »
If you can't get it going I got 20 bucks burning a hole in my pocket. :eyebrow:

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,254
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #96 on: Sep 18, 2023, 02:03:11 PM »
I'd wager a 6-pack that OVRAROK and deucie could find the problem in less than 30 minutes. :beerchug:

Gnarls. :usa:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #97 on: Sep 18, 2023, 02:08:06 PM »
I'd be curious if that shop was attempting to diagnose the issue with the ignition switch turn ON and whether they used any digital Ohm meter?? :dunno:

Gnarls. :inthedark:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Sep 19, 2023, 10:12:21 AM »
I'd be curious if that shop was attempting to diagnose the issue with the ignition switch turn ON and whether they used any digital Ohm meter?? :dunno:

Gnarls. :inthedark:

Did they check for fuel??  :cheese:

osv

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jun '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: Sep 21, 2023, 09:02:52 PM »
gotta remember to check back on this thread, see if it's running!

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Sep 21, 2023, 11:16:19 PM »
gotta remember to check back on this thread, see if it's running!

First he's gotta get it back frpm the shop.

Yotaoverland [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Oct 01, 2023, 10:38:31 AM »
So I did get my truck back right before leaving for Japan for a week. The initial issue is still a mystery. When I was diagnosing it at home, I put on a new rotor, cap and wires among other parts. After 2 months of it being at the shop, they said they changed the rotor and it started up just fine. It's now home and sat for a week while I was out of the country. It did start up when I tried this morning. So, the conclusion is, I can't give an exact reason as to why it wouldn't run.  :smack:

Though as long as it runs again, I am happy.
1980 pickup LWB
22reperformance 22r
L-52 5spd
4.7 Tcase
Detroit Trutrac

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Oct 01, 2023, 10:57:01 AM »
Damn thing is possessed!

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Oct 01, 2023, 10:57:51 AM »
So I did get my truck back right before leaving for Japan for a week. The initial issue is still a mystery. When I was diagnosing it at home, I put on a new rotor, cap and wires among other parts. After 2 months of it being at the shop, they said they changed the rotor and it started up just fine. It's now home and sat for a week while I was out of the country. It did start up when I tried this morning. So, the conclusion is, I can't give an exact reason as to why it wouldn't run.  :smack:

Though as long as it runs again, I am happy.

Cheap rotor and cap possible. I prefer the OEM stuff
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Oct 01, 2023, 10:18:13 PM »
Most times it is something simple.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #105 on: Oct 02, 2023, 01:37:22 AM »
I am so glad you got it running.  :best:

Did this "no-start" come down to a $3.00 part? :dunno:

The chance of getting a defective, brand new, cap & rotor is very low, but obviously can happen. :disturbed:

This is a good lesson in what can be wrong and not easily detected. :thumbs:

Factory OEM parts are usually an excellent choice.

When I can't easily get a Toyota cap & rotor, my choice has always been Echlin.

Yotaoverland [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Oct 07, 2023, 07:40:26 AM »
I am so glad you got it running.  :best:

Did this "no-start" come down to a $3.00 part? :dunno:

The chance of getting a defective, brand new, cap & rotor is very low, but obviously can happen. :disturbed:

This is a good lesson in what can be wrong and not easily detected. :thumbs:

Factory OEM parts are usually an excellent choice.

When I can't easily get a Toyota cap & rotor, my choice has always been Echlin.

I'm still not 100% sure what it was. They also replaced the starter. The old one was weak and slow. It turned the engine over way too slowly.
It seemed to barely work. (it wasn't an old starter by the way). The new one they put on cranks the engine quickly and it fires right up within a few cranks. I slightly suspected that the old starter maybe didn't crank the engine fast enough? If that's a thing? haha
1980 pickup LWB
22reperformance 22r
L-52 5spd
4.7 Tcase
Detroit Trutrac

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Oct 07, 2023, 08:49:54 AM »
Cranking the 22R too slowly? Hah! I've had 'em start on the first revolution and when the battery is just about dead. I don't think you can crank the 22R too slow. Now if there is a different problem? That's a different story.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #108 on: Oct 07, 2023, 12:53:17 PM »
I'm still not 100% sure what it was. They also replaced the starter. The old one was weak and slow. It turned the engine over way too slowly.
It seemed to barely work. (it wasn't an old starter by the way). The new one they put on cranks the engine quickly and it fires right up within a few cranks. I slightly suspected that the old starter maybe didn't crank the engine fast enough? If that's a thing? haha

Depending upon the expert that posted on Google, 100 to 300 RPMs is the average cranking range of RPMs to start an engine. 

It would have been really nice to know exactly what the changes/parts replacements were and the outcome of each change.

Did the shop change the cap and rotor, and it started? 

Did they replace the starter before replacing the cap & rotor?

At the risk of being overly analytical.... To be real candid, this whole thing seems to be filled with too many unknowns and vague information. :disturbed:

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #109 on: Oct 07, 2023, 01:00:28 PM »
I'll go out on a limb and wager a bet, your favorite 6-pack, that there are at least 12 guys here that I'd bet could find the cause for the "no start" in less time than it takes to go from breakfast to lunch.  :thumbs:

And... I would double down on 6 of them.  :gap:

« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2023, 02:35:49 PM by Gnarly4X »

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Oct 07, 2023, 02:16:06 PM »
Last month I drove my truck like normal on the weekend, I went out the next weekend to drive it and it wouldn't start. It cranks, but will not attempt to start. I eventually replaced all of the ignition components under the hood, ignition module (GM 4 pin) universal coil, cap, rotor, plugs and wires and nothing. I checked that the mechanical fuel pump is working, which it is. I am stumped. Does anyone have any ideas?

I get spark at the number one spark plug while cranking it over. It has fuel. It doesn't even try to start with starting fluid.
The engine isn't old, it's a 22reperformance 22r built in 2017.

Was it cranking at normal speed then
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Yotaoverland [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Dec 26, 2023, 10:39:31 AM »
I'll go out on a limb and wager a bet, your favorite 6-pack, that there are at least 12 guys here that I'd bet could find the cause for the "no start" in less time than it takes to go from breakfast to lunch.  :thumbs:

And... I would double down on 6 of them.  :gap:

I wish I could have had them take a look at it. I still don't know what exactly was wrong. It's been starting and driving just fine since. I've driven it to work many times with no issues. That shop wasn't really that good, I think they just replaced parts until it turned on..

Anyways.. It's on to upgrades for me. Power steering..etc
1980 pickup LWB
22reperformance 22r
L-52 5spd
4.7 Tcase
Detroit Trutrac

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #112 on: Dec 26, 2023, 11:26:47 AM »
I love happy endings!! :beerchug: