Author Topic: Toyota 22R/RE Testimonials  (Read 717 times)

83Camo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -16
  • Male Posts: 47
  • Member since Jun '21
    • View Profile
Toyota 22R/RE Testimonials
« on: Jul 08, 2021, 01:03:44 PM »
 I'll keep story short , Remembering a problem I had years ago with another {my 2nd}1983 SR5  4x4 PU....while driving it every now and then usually under load I'd go to clutch to upshift and pedal would go to the floor....stuck in gear ! So I spent time bleeding clutch system and checked master and slave ....all good,  no leaking ....same problem. after a while I got so pissed off I changed master and slave out.....Same problem. I got used to it and lived with it for about 2 years. Left northern California and moved to northern Mew Mexico with this truck loaded

This engine was original and had around 200 thousand miles on it, needed to change timing chain so after dropping oil pan I found a silver dollar size washer in the bottom of pan ummmmmmm . It was a thrust washer from crank . NOW, I know what clutch problem was .....at different times while driving the crank would slide back and forth {about the same distance the plunger on slave cylinder would move}  :screwy:
After tearing down engine I found all kinds of serious scoring and gouging on cylinder walls and pistons , not to mention damage to crank and all related bottom end parts. So with the short block trashed I bought a new one.
BUT what I found truly amazing was the robust , durable and reliable qualities of this little 22R even with all the miles and damage it was still running strong enough to not suspect any major engine failure ! :driving:

Unrepentant Fenian/Tattooed & Employed

CB.TypeG

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 270
  • Male Posts: 65
  • Member since Jun '21
    • View Profile
    • My '83 Build
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Toyota 22R/RE Testimonials
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2021, 07:28:11 AM »
That's a wild story who would have thought of diagnosing a missing thrust washer as cause for a transmission issue!?

My 22r testimonial:
I bought my truck a year or so ago so it's been around for a while before I got my grubby paws on it. That being said, no idea how many miles on the original block. It had the head replaced at some point though as I could see the stamp of reman on it.
The beating I gave the old girl learning how to wheel was pretty intense, she spent a lot of time singing if you know what I mean.
I eventually flopped the truck onto the passenger side while attempting to "bounce" over a downed tree in the trail. When it laid on the passenger side, the keys fell out of the ignition. That allowed the engine to continue to run while on its side. This lasted about 2 or 3 minutes before I was able to find the key and turn the truck off.

We got it back on all 4 wheels and I was able to start it up and "clear her throat", then proceeded to drive it home.
The truck was parked for about a week after this, then it was time to take her back out for Labor day long weekend at Sadie Creek ORV Park in Port Angeles, WA.

She started up a little rough when loading onto the trailer but I thought nothing of it. Once we got to the campground though. It was more than rough. She took a bit of coaxing to finally get running, and when she did.. she was knocking like a  Jehovah's Witness on a Saturday morning.

This was when we decided, lets drain out all the thin oil.. and run some thhhiiccc oil.. and by thick oil we meant gear oil.
After doing the trail oil change (forgive me Ghia), She was still knocking but I was gonna give her hell till she blew anyway.. We wheeled that day for over 6 hours.. with her knocking away like a damn air hammer the entire time. Mind you, this truck is open diff front and rear with some 33"s on it and I wasn't taking the easy ways.

Long story short.. she lasted that whole weekend, 3 days worth of abuse at roughly 6 or so hours each day. Here's the testament to the 22r, it never actually blew. I wheeled it again the following weekend and she was finally starting to lose some power on the top end so I decided to park it and pull the tired 'ol 22r for rebuild.
During the tear down, found the #3 rod bearing to be almost non-existent. Just a sliver of bearing left and it was in pieces when I pried it out. Talk about a consumable part!

I've done a full rebuild on that engine since, bored the block and replaced the crank, rods, and pistons. She's sitting in the garage awaiting her time to shine.

83Camo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -16
  • Male Posts: 47
  • Member since Jun '21
    • View Profile
Re: Toyota 22R/RE Testimonials
« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2021, 02:49:56 PM »
Read this , then saw your picture [on your build thread]  tough old trucks they are !
Unrepentant Fenian/Tattooed & Employed