Author Topic: tranny questions (cheap R151)  (Read 1453 times)

Wyatt

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 22
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since Jan '05
  • I get stuck alot
    • View Profile
tranny questions (cheap R151)
« on: Apr 08, 2005, 08:48:24 PM »
Part 1:  Ok, I have an 82 shortbed with an L45 4-speed tranny with 260k miles on it.  It shifts fine, but recently at high RPM, especially in 4th gear, I'm hearing a constant low growling noise.  At first, I thought it was the input bearing, but since 4th is straight through, I'm not so sure.  I'm thinking something is going to have to be fixed before I drive it too much further though.  Any ideas? Could the sound be the transfer case instead?

Part 2:  I have the opportunity to get a R151 out of a trashed turbo truck for cheap.  It comes with the bellhousing and the transfer case.  Now, I searched the crap out of this subject and everyone says something different, so I need it cleared up.  Will the R151 bolt up to my 82 22R?  I know it's longer and I'll have to change the length of my driveshafts and cut out the body for a new stick hole, and I may have to drill the driveshaft flanges to match the bolt hole pattern, but I'm starting to hear that the bellhousing won't mate with the engine at all.  Is this true?  ALso, would I also need a turbo flywheel and clutch?

So...What do you knowledgable gentlemen reccomend?  I'd like the lower gearing offered by the R151 as well as a 5th gear (and the extra strength isn't bad either), but the extra work to make it fit might not be worth it, especially since I don't really know the condition of the tranny.  If my L45 sounds like something easy to fix, I might go that way instead. If possible, I want to try and stay under $400.  Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2005, 09:54:44 AM by Wyatt »
-Wyatt

www.expeditionutah.com
1976 FJ55 SOA, 36"s, Hysteer, Power Steering, Aussielocked rear, Rhino Lined exterior, some other sweet stuff.
1997 FZJ80 3x Locked, OME, 33's, Nat Luna Dual Yellow Tops, Warn E 12.0, other junk

Ferg

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 416
  • Male Posts: 577
  • Member since May '03
  • That was EASY!!
    • View Profile
Re: tranny questions (cheap R151)
« Reply #1 on: Apr 09, 2005, 09:26:12 PM »
R151 bellhousing will bolt to your engine.  Your flywheel and clutch will do just fine.  You will most likely have to do some cutting on the tranny tunnel to get the shifters through the floor (easy to do).  Your biggest expence, other than the trans, will be the drive shafts.

Easy trans check, look at the oil for debris and chunks.  Put it in gear and rotate it by hand through the gears and see how it feels.  R151's unbolt in the middle.  If you feel the need, go ahead and take the housing off and look at the guts. 

When in doubt, ship to Marlin for a first class rebuild, would definately be worth the money.

Or just PM ME where this deal is and I'll buy it!
Some idiots are too busy knowing it all, to ever learn anything...

Wyatt [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '05
  • I get stuck alot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2005, 10:17:54 PM »
Ha Ha, I'll never tell where I'm gettin' it from. 
Thanks for the info though.  I'm relieved that it will fit.  I did cycle through the gears while it was in the truck (with no engine), and the stiff boot kept pulling it out of gear.  Also the stick had a some lateral play while in each gear.  I don't know if this means it needs a total rebuild or something much simpler (hopefully), but I'll probably buy it and if it needs it, I'll send it to Marlin.  If I do that, I'll leave my tranny in there for the meantime until I can save enough cash.  So, anybody got any ideas on whats wrong with my L45? 
-Wyatt

www.expeditionutah.com
1976 FJ55 SOA, 36"s, Hysteer, Power Steering, Aussielocked rear, Rhino Lined exterior, some other sweet stuff.
1997 FZJ80 3x Locked, OME, 33's, Nat Luna Dual Yellow Tops, Warn E 12.0, other junk

Ferg

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 416
  • Male Posts: 577
  • Member since May '03
  • That was EASY!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2005, 08:29:18 PM »
Loose shifter is most likely a bad shifter seat.  Marlin sells a very good replacement for just a few $.
Some idiots are too busy knowing it all, to ever learn anything...

Wyatt [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '05
  • I get stuck alot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 11, 2005, 07:15:29 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot to ask:  Will my crossmember need to be moved if I put in the R151?  I will eventually fab a high-clearance one, but don't have the time now, so I'd like to use the stock one for a while.  Will I need to move it back as well?
-Wyatt

www.expeditionutah.com