Author Topic: Why would a Toyota W59 transmission get "stuck" in gear when idling?  (Read 2765 times)

sodiumflouride

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Why would a Toyota W59 five-speed transmission get "stuck" in gear when idling?

1997 Toyota 4-runner 3RZFE 2WD 5speed manual W59 transmission shifting issue

I need help figuring out what the problem is with the W59 transmission.
This problem has been happening for months.

It's very hard to describe but there are no grinding sounds at all.
I already replaced the fluid recently with Redline MT90, 3.7 quarts exactly.

I park in neutral overnight in the garage, with temps in the 50s & 60s.
I start the engine and back out of the garage & K-turn down the driveway.

When the RPM is low (especially when backing out of the garage in the morning to do a K-turn), the transmission is stuck in gear. No amount of force on the shift lever will unstick it. I have to shut down the engine, and then I can move it from reverse to neutral or vice versa.

Same with first to neutral, and vice versa. Even though reverse has no syncros, shifting in and out of reverse doesn't "feel" different than shifting in and out of first, as it gets stuck in either gear as much.

Once I get moving (or mybe the fluid warms up?), it shifts, sort of OK from there on in (for my 40 mile commute). Then it starts all over again at the end of the day.

The clutch may need to be replaced based on miles but the clutch is stalling the engine if I put it in the wrong gear and hold the brake pedal down. Likewise, letting out the clutch in gear while rolling downhill definitely raises the RPM, so the clutch is not slipping I don't think.

It's hard to describe but I don't think the clutch is working perfectly though as the pedal feel is really hard to describe. It's not right. It's not linear. It grabs in like one inch but it's really hard to describe. Sometimes it seems that it grabs one inch from the floorboards and other times it seems to grab at near the top of the pedal travel, but I think that's impossible so all I can reliably say is that the clutch feel is not linear.

Sometimes it feels better after I pump the clutch, but the fluid level isn't leaking as it's the right level. I don't know how to adjust the clutch pedal travel, and the clutch pedal return torsion spring was removed and replaced with a linear spring long ago.

Any idea what is going on here and how to debug to what parts are needed?

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Not saying this is your problem but it sounds like your pilot bearing may be bad. You can adjust the clutch pedal under the dash just lay in the floor and look at the linkage you'll figure it out if the adjustment is the issue. You could also have the master or slave bypassing. Normally you'll see them leak instead of an internal bypass but it does happen.  I would start with pedal adjustment. Next would be a new master and slave. Then if it still doesn't act correctly drop the trans and do the clutch and pilot/throw out bearings.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
sounds like the clutch is either bad or you have air in the hydro line.  try bleeding it before pulling it apart
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
I'd say air based on your clutch pedal experience. Bleeding the slave cylinder is an easy job, just hop under with a 10mm and some hose and make sure you keep fluid in the master.
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Yes on the clutch master or slave being bad or the associated lines.  Sounds like what I get when I have had air or moisture in my clutch slave lines.  Try a gravity bleed, crack the bleeder on the slave and top off fluid in the master until you see clear fluid come out.  It will probably work for a little while and then go back to being non-functional until you find the leak or bad part.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,254
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
It's been 19 days from original post and question.

Did you figure out what the problem was?

I assume the problem has been diagnosed and fixed.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,254
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
.... I need help figuring out what the problem is with the W59 transmission.

This problem has been happening for months.

These one time first time posts always annoy me a little. 

Why would someone drive a vehicle on a 40 mile commute with a clutch that doesn't work for months?

Some members here have taken the time to respond to answer the question, and after 20 days there is no feedback, reply, update, or a "thank you" from the OP.

Or... Am I just being to overly critical?  :dunno:

Gnarls. :shake_head:

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein