Author Topic: A/c clutch bearing, or a/c shaft bearing  (Read 2037 times)

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
A/c clutch bearing, or a/c shaft bearing
« on: Jul 27, 2017, 09:12:03 AM »
A/c pulley squeals when turned on, burning rubber smell, lag on the engine, but a/c still blows cold.   I found a new clutch bearing, just don't want to waste money if it is more than the bearing, which since there is no when a/c is off, leads me to think it is the a/c itself.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

cporche

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 306
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: A/c clutch bearing, or a/c shaft bearing
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2017, 09:42:47 AM »
is the compressor clutch hard to turn by hand?

Snowtoy [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2017, 10:48:39 AM »
Haven't gotten that far, just noticed the burnt rubber smell yesterday.  Should have an idea this evening.  It is on my Avalon and the adjustment screw for the alternator (shares the same belt, also is the tensioner) didn't want to lower the alt, sprayed everything with PB and let is sit over night. 

The pulley doesn't wobble with the a/c off or on, but the squeal will persist for a few seconds after shutting the a/c off.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2017, 02:50:53 AM »

The pulley doesn't wobble with the a/c off or on, but the squeal will persist for a few seconds after shutting the a/c off.

Clutch seized.   :dunno:

Gnarls... stinkless.  :D
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2017, 08:20:19 AM »
Hey,  :attention:
be very very carefull if you remove the a/c compressor on that engine. There are four bolts that bolt the compressor to the engine. They are not all the same length. Small difference in length, many people have not picked up on it when reassembling. If you put one in the wrong spot it puts a hole in the side of the block perfectly lined up with the main oil feed. Oil will leak out at a massive scale and You will need a new block.
DON'T MAKE THIS MISTAKE!!!!!!!  :help:
Also don't ask me how I know this....... Been there done that.  :smack:
It is very likely that it is the compressor. discharge the system and remove one of the lines. Put a clean paper towl inside the line and see if it turns grey. I suspect it will.  :_oops:
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2017, 01:11:36 PM »
... They are not all the same length. Small difference in length

=:)bestgen4runner .... Is that the "long" and the "short" of it?   :ha_ha:

Gnarls. :gap:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Snowtoy [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 28, 2017, 06:10:16 PM »
Hey,  :attention:
be very very carefull if you remove the a/c compressor on that engine. There are four bolts that bolt the compressor to the engine. They are not all the same length. Small difference in length, many people have not picked up on it when reassembling. If you put one in the wrong spot it puts a hole in the side of the block perfectly lined up with the main oil feed. Oil will leak out at a massive scale and You will need a new block.
DON'T MAKE THIS MISTAKE!!!!!!!  :help:
Also don't ask me how I know this....... Been there done that.  :smack:
Thanks for the heads up, knowing how Toyota uses short/long bolts, I have just forced myself into using a piece of cardboard and placed the bolts the same way they are installed, also find it helps  from having to chase down misplaced a bolt, or dig the one out when it gets knocked off from the top of the engine.

It is very likely that it is the compressor. discharge the system and remove one of the lines. Put a clean paper towl inside the line and see if it turns grey. I suspect it will.  :_oops:

With the HVAC on auto, Is it common for the comps to go after 100k?

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 28, 2017, 06:32:34 PM »
I have been seeing quite a few of them fail lately, but with closer to 200k for mileage.
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: Jul 28, 2017, 06:33:35 PM »
Remove belt.

Engine off.

Measure resistance of clutch coil.

Then using jumper wires measure amp draw.

If there's a nut on the shaft,   see how hard it is to turn compressor.        If no nut,  hook up jumper wires to coil again and see how hard it is to turn compressor with pulley.

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15