Author Topic: MC07XD-R10 adapter dual row bearing failure...... Now What?  (Read 3645 times)

BabyJesus16

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 46
  • Member since Jan '13
  • Barely Crawlin' Along
    • View Profile
My tcase front output seal had a little leak, I had a new hd seal and flange laying around already. As I start to drain the tcase I notice the first tiny bit of gear lube came out kinda silverish, but was normal as the rest drained. Hardly any bit of metal or shavings were on magnetic drain plug. As I moved on and started to drain the crawl box, this is where I became really worried. Nearly half of the gear lube that came out was Silver and bits of metals also came out. The drain plug had a lot of tiny metal pieces attached to it. As of now I put new seal and flange back in box for safe keeping and began to pull tcase and crawl box. As i started to separate them balls began to fall out........  I cant seem to find anywhere on Marlin Crawler, a replacement bearing, coupler, or how to fix it. I did find a few other threads about this happening to a few other people on here and different Toyota orientated websites. But Because people have their own opinions, good and bad, I wont be adding their links. This in my Daily Driver, and its already been down 5weeks because rear third went out, PreviousOwner preferred crush sleeves, ugh, placed my order of: SOLID PINION SPACER, 4cyl 4:88 USA RnP n setup kit, BUT received v6 Yukon 4:88 Rnp and a 4cyl Yukon setup kit because they were out of stock on what i had ordered, but i see they were just clearing shelves for their new products. Maybe I received better parts then what i ordered but not the extra hassle they created for me. I have a 4cyl diff, yes i know its possible to put v6 gears into 4cyl diff but i didn't receive the correct pinion bearing to do this, WHY? Idk. So i now have to spend more money and time looking for one online and wait a little over week for it to show up. That's when i decide to replace the tcase seal n flange, and ended up with this mess. Also when i purchased my dual case adapter i didn't have a bank account, debit or credit card, so i had the guy who let me work on my truck in his shop buy it for me and since then he has moved to another state. So now I'm just wonder what i should do next..?

Do I:

Contact Marlin and give them the details and ask for possibilities of why it happened and what my options thru them are?

Just order another dual case adapter, New MC08 just came out, and eat ramen for the next 6 months? lol

Find and order a quality 5209W bearing not made in china and fix it myself?

I appreciate any real, helpful and serious information and opinions on this matter, Thanks

I cant upload pics, but i have some and can email if anyone would like to help me get them up.

Sir Reppik                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Pheq Ewe

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Call marlin crawler, they offer a rebuild on there adapters
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

BabyJesus16 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '13
  • Barely Crawlin' Along
    • View Profile
That's what everyone says....  Call Marlin. From my own experience trying to call marlin, I never get thru. I understand they are a small operation with tons of customers, but the few times they have picked up and ive gotten to discuss the problems that have occurred, I feel less as important as the next guy waiting to get thru on the phone. As an Example, When trying to figure out why I received Yukon v6 RnP and not the usa 4cyl RnP, They replied that they were out of stock on what i ordered, We are sorry and have a nice day. That was it. Didn't ask if i had any more questions, Didn't contact me about being out of stock on the item and how i would like to go about it. To me it seems like they were trying to get rid of inventory to make room for their new Ninja Gears and just gave me the closed thing to what i had ordered and would work for me, but didn't inform me of it or of the fact that i would need additional parts to make it work in my application. I understand the fact that they cant contact everyone about every little thing, and trying to please everyone ones is never going to work. With new up and coming products theres always a release date, and most customers will not know of the products until that date, that's just how business's are. So them not telling me about their new Ninja Gears and how they would be available for purchase not even a week after i placed my order is ok with me, its just the feeling of getting hammy-downs that's a bother.

ANYWAYS, about my current broke down Toyota problem...  It looks to me Like all i really need is the dual row main shaft/coupling bearing. The current adapter marlin sells states it comes with a bearing with "256% less load per ball due to its high 32-ball count." Well i counted all the balls that fell out of mine and theres only 22.....  Am i missing some balls? lol Still have the same 2 my manufacturer gave me. Did the one of the older style MC07XD-R10 come with a dual row bearing that only had 22 balls?
Sir Reppik                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Pheq Ewe

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Trust me, calling Marlin can be a pain.  But its the only way to get thru to them.  But be persistent.  I have talked to Bigmike, and he says there are times the phone will not stop ringing, and you can't answer them all.  And then the next hour the phone won't ring at all.  Its crazy. 

They did have some issues with some of the adapters at one time, and they did some warranty work, but I cannot remember what adapter or part it was.  Need to call and see if that is the case.  More than likely they will need to see it and find out what the issue is.  They do keep records of all the adapters sold, to who, and when. 

I would text Bigmike to see if he could help you, but he is out of the country right now. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Trust me, calling Marlin can be a pain.  But its the only way to get thru to them.  But be persistent.  I have talked to Bigmike, and he says there are times the phone will not stop ringing, and you can't answer them all.  And then the next hour the phone won't ring at all.  Its crazy. 

They did have some issues with some of the adapters at one time, and they did some warranty work, but I cannot remember what adapter or part it was.  Need to call and see if that is the case.  More than likely they will need to see it and find out what the issue is.  They do keep records of all the adapters sold, to who, and when. 

I would text Bigmike to see if he could help you, but he is out of the country right now. 

I had one of the bad adapters. I purchased it in 2007, I think, but it wasn't a rotated one. It blew up the bearing twice around 1200 miles each time. They were out of stock ahead of a Moab trip which is why I have an Inchworm crawl box and CrankyCrawler has my warranty adapter.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

BabyJesus16 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '13
  • Barely Crawlin' Along
    • View Profile
+I wish I could upload some images. I believe the original guy who purchased the adapter had bought it around 2007. I finally got the bearing out to see if I could find any labeling on it. and to my surprise I did. "3209 MARLIN CRAWLER"  was all it had on the bearing. I couldn't find anywhere online where they used a 3209 bearing,  only bearing they list or put in their description is a 5209 bearing, upon further investigation it seems like the filling slot of the outter ring was part of the reason it failed. it had discoloration and started to crack at that same point.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I have never personally spoke to mike or marlin on the telephone. I've always heard they are great guys and from some of the threads here I will have to agree. Hell one poor guy ended up with 3 or 4 bad transmissions. Marlin himself went to the man's house on the last one and worked with him on it. Can't ask for more customer service than that!

That being said, I have dealt with Mitchell every time I've had questions or orders. He has been extremely helpful and made me feel just as important when I was asking questions about shifter seats as i would have been of I was asking about a dual ultimate behind a r151. I have a mc07 dual adapter the bearing looks fine but will not turn. I've  soaked it in oil and still nothing. I will also be ordering a bearing like you. I will either email mitch asking for him to call when he can or I'll just keep calling till I get an answer.

The mc staff seems to be top notch.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen