Author Topic: 2016 offroading 101, Rookie Run At Walker Valley 07/17/16  (Read 44157 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
he said it was a 2013 so it might have new tires.

Very possible. It would be very sad if someone put a Rubicon on highway treads...
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

:)bestgen4runner [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,794
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
update on #5
Jeep is a Sport? He Says. What does that mean JK?
Still waiting on pictures. Said he would send them at lunch.  :hammer:
I will find it in the parking lot if he does not send them.  :ninja: :snapshot: :ninja: :snapshot:
Oh, and its white if I didn't say that before.
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile

7. Most importantly make it fun and relaxing. One of the big mistakes I made when I started my club was getting guys in over their heads. It is the worst thing you can do as instead of having a good relaxing time like wheeling should be they are stressed. They are stressed about damaging their rigs, they are worried about hurting themselves and or their passengers, and often enough the thing bothering them the most is that they are holding you back. You'll find that these guys are going to be scared to death that they aren't doing well enough and being resented for it. I know it is odd and definitely not how you are going to feel, but I promise you it is going to be a major concern for them.

Best way to help here is to let them know(reinforce it often on the trail), is that the group only wheels as fast as the slowest vehicle can, and getting stuck and delaying others on the trail, is just all part of wheeling.

My experience with spotting is that a lot (not all) of people fit into one of two groups.  One group intuitively spots well and the other is hopelessly clueless.
The clueless spotter is also the clueless driver, they are easy to spot, they all drive raisins. :rofl2:

I think the key to being a great spotter is understanding the skill level of the driver, the capability of the rig, and having a full understanding of what the driver finds acceptable for their rig (i.e. damage).  I always spot from a perspective of keeping the rig clean and minimizing stress on the drivetrain as much as possible.  I don't enjoy spotting for someone that's thinks nothing of body damage.  I always look for the person that drives the most like me and try to get them to spot for me.

Would also add that the driver needs to be willing to understand that once he asks for a spotter, he is no longer in control of his rig, the spotter is, nothing worse than a driver who second guesses his spotter.

If y is a rubicon it will be set with lockers front and rear and 4:1 t case. My friend did fordyce with one with a leveling kit and 35s but otherwise stock
A buddy did the same thing, he hadn't even made his first payment before he was cutting sheet metal/fender flares to clear 35's. :laugh:
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
The clueless spotter is also the clueless driver, they are easy to spot, they all drive raisins. :rofl2:

Would also add that the driver needs to be willing to understand that once he asks for a spotter, he is no longer in control of his rig, the spotter is, nothing worse than a driver who second guesses his spotter.

I've wheeled with more than one person that wasn't a great spotter and would struggle finding a good line on their own, but they did great following the direction the good spotters that they wheeled with and as a result had nice rigs.

As a driver I am unwilling to blindly follow a spotter.  The more I trust a spotter the more control I'll give up, but when I'm with people that I have not developed trust in I tend to use what the spotter is telling me as data to go with what I'm feeling from the driver's seat.  If I ever get to the point that I've completely lost the feel for the obstacle I will, if at all possible, back off and get my bearings or get out and look.  CrankyCrawler is one of only a couple people that I will almost always follow without question, but CrankyCrawler he'll tell you that I've not followed directions well more than once and he's done the same to me.  There was on obstacle on the last trip to Moab that my passenger was complimenting me on stopping at the exact instant that CrankyCrawler the signal to stop.  He was more impressed when I told that I wasn't even watching CrankyCrawler and we're just that "in sync" as driver/spotter.  We've have nearly identical driving styles and have been wheeling together for a very long time.

It's so important as a rookie to have confidence in your spotters because if you don't have the driving skill and/or experience you have little choice but to follow their instructions.  As a spotter I find it very rewarding when a rookie driver starts to get comfortable enough to suggest lines or even try something while driving if it feels right to them.  As long as I can get them to stop before getting into a bad spot.  If a driver never tests their "seat of the pants" and blindly follows the spotters they won't develop any independent driving skills.

1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
 :driving:
Just a heads up that there are still 2 1/2 spots still available for this event. It cost nothing and is shaping up to be a great time with great people. :turtlehead:
 :think: If your thinking about coming along or just have a question. Hit me up.  :phone:
Your level of skill is completely open from the beginner with stock vehicle to expert level with rock buggy. There will be something for everyone from teaching to learning. Terrain is easy to difficult on this trail system.   

Only requirements are Discovery pass, minimum all terrain tires, and recovery points of some kind.  :thumbs:

SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
So, I finally got pictures. Truck and tires.
RockcrawlingJK and I have named it White night since Jim is not a forum member.
New tires in the works.

Need suggestions for tires please. All-terrains

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
So, I finally got pictures. Truck and tires.
RockcrawlingJK and I have named it White night since Jim is not a forum member.
New tires in the works.

Need suggestions for tires please. All-terrains

If he plans to wheel in WA with it he should get a mud terrain tire. If he wants a fairly smooth tire then he should consider the OEM Rubicon tire that is a BFG KM. They are very nice on the road for the first half of the tread life and by then he will appreciate them. There is only one size available specifically for the Rubicons.

EASYRYDERDANGER

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1856
  • Male Posts: 215
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
Yea Chris, he needs tires for sure.  I also would recommend something else in place of what look like Smitty build sliders/step, unless he is willing to smash them.   Other than that I wouldn't say he needs to drop anymore $$ on it for what we r doing.  I will have much fun watching the stock vehicles go around gate/filter...

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I can't tell if those are 16" or 17" wheels.

If he's wanting a more All Terrain style tire then the Goodyear Duratrac might be a good option.  They are pretty popular in the Moab area because they have a fairly soft compound (Discount Tire told them they wear out faster than the others) so they should do ok on rocks and have a fairly open tread for an AT.

I still say that going with something like the BFG KM (if he has 17" inch wheels), might be his best overall option.  There's a reason that Jeep has stayed with the KM after the KM2 came out and I assume it's because it's a better OEM street tire.

Tires I would consider are the following:
Goodyear Duratrac
BFG Mud Terrain KM
BFG All Terrain KO (probably the best all terrain tire)
Toyo Open Country MT - Very popular street tire around here and a great off road tire.
Toyo Open Country AT (extreme) - I think they have a more aggressive version of the AT that had deeper tread but I can't find it online.

I have never experienced my Coopers on a quiet ride, but I think they'd be ok as well.

The point is that a mud terrain will be a much better investment for him.  If you're buying a Jeep with the intention to wheel then just don't waste the money on an AT.

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,725
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
I'll be riding shotgun with Blackdiamond.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

HogCanyonHopper

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 7333
  • Male Posts: 1,224
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
That sounds like a good seat to be in
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88478.0
Where are we going? And why are we in a handbasket?

My friend is goin to moan this weekend - RockcrawlinJK

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I'll be riding shotgun with Blackdiamond.

That sounds like a good seat to be in

There's a chance riding shotgun may require a little driving depending how involved I get with spotting and how difficult the trails are.

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,725
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
There's a chance riding shotgun may require a little driving depending how involved I get with spotting and how difficult the trails are.

I'm up for that.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
http://file.dnr.wa.gov/publications/amp_rec_walkervalley_trail_map_20150403.pdf

Link to the Washington DNR map of Walker valley Orv area.  :thumbs:

Easy Trails In my opinion that are appropriate for our beginners are Timber Tamer, EZ valley connecter, Humps and bumps, and Ridge ram.  :sheerterror:

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
http://file.dnr.wa.gov/publications/amp_rec_walkervalley_trail_map_20150403.pdf

Link to the Washington DNR map of Walker valley Orv area.  :thumbs:

Easy Trails In my opinion that are appropriate for our beginners are Timber Tamer, EZ valley connecter, Humps and bumps, and Ridge ram.  :sheerterror:

Now that it's ONLY 33 more days until this trip, what is your plan for where to meet and what time?  I think you previously mentioned, in some form of communication, meeting for breakfast somewhere and also an early start.

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I would like to meet at the IHOP in Mt. Vernon it is close to the trails, right off the freeway, and large parking lot to accommodate trailers and big black trucks.  ;)
Not sure on the time yet but it will be an early start. I will figure out time and post here. Maybe when they open?

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

Not quite White Knuckle, but its rock crawling.

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

Good Production video Of Walker Valley
And Its a bunch of JK's.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I would like to meet at the IHOP in Mt. Vernon it is close to the trails, right off the freeway, and large parking lot to accommodate trailers and big black trucks.  ;)
Not sure on the time yet but it will be an early start. I will figure out time and post here. Maybe when they open?

They better not be a 24 hour location!

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hey John, This is the Biggest obstickle we will need to get the stock vehicles around. (in My opinion) Tell Me What you think. There are tons of videos on YouTube if you search Walker Valley gate. Also Jk can you tell me how much lift the 4doors have and tire size. I understand its a video but your My go to JK guy.

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Male Posts: 2,336
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
That black one looked stock the other one prolly has 2-3 inches lift and 35.
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
 :crossed: I was hoping You would say that. SWEET.....  :crazyjumpy:

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hey John, This is the Biggest obstickle we will need to get the stock vehicles around. (in My opinion) Tell Me What you think. There are tons of videos on YouTube if you search Walker Valley gate. Also Jk can you tell me how much lift the 4doors have and tire size. I understand its a video but your My go to JK guy.

🎂?

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Here is My very own Rookie learning to drive on Last Sunny Sunday afternoon.
Started Him out in double low, then single low, Finally The challenging TWO WHEEL DRIVE.
He is Getting it. Future  :turtle: In The Making.

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
#8 Girlsgetdirty93   1993 Jeep Cherokee  Female off road driver!  :respekt:

« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2016, 07:52:26 AM by :)bestgen4runner »

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
#10 Brandon Manie     1996 Suzuki sidekick JLX

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
#8 Girlsgetdirty93   1993 Jeep Cherokee  75% Female off road driver!  :respekt:

I realized after looking at the official list that you're not saying this person is 75% female...too much sensitivity training at work...

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Looks like the trip is now fully booked.  I think the 1996 Suzuki Sidekick will be our greatest challenge out of the listed rigs.

#10 Brandon Manie     1996 Suzuki sidekick JLX

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Here is My very own Rookie learning to drive on Last Sunny Sunday afternoon.
Started Him out in double low, then single low, Finally The challenging TWO WHEEL DRIVE.
He is Getting it. Future  :turtle: In The Making.

That's funny right there!  Nothing like a high CG and soft springs to amplify the jerkiness.  Your rear springs are soft it almost looks like you need to tighten up the bolts.  It's taking off noticeably before the rest of the truck.

Steve-44

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 47
  • Male Posts: 189
  • Member since Feb '05
  • 511:1 club
    • View Profile

Not quite White Knuckle, but its rock crawling.

Hey, who gave you permission to use video of me!?  haha j/k of course.  That is me though.  I still get hell for the name of that video - but that is usually forgotten once they've seen it all the way through.  :)