Author Topic: Coolant leak on 20r?  (Read 4243 times)

Yotaoverland

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 208
  • Member since Feb '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Coolant leak on 20r?
« on: May 27, 2016, 07:40:22 AM »
Does anyone know what may be the cause of this strange coolant leak?

It seems to be coming from under the header? I'm not very sure. Should I be concerned? I'm currently on a road trip, and would rather not have something bad happen.
1980 pickup LWB
22reperformance 22r
L-52 5spd
4.7 Tcase
Detroit Trutrac

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: Coolant leak on 20r?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 12:57:18 PM »
That's weird.  If it's not getting hot I would guess you are OK but I would do something with it.  JB weld?  I hate to say it but it might be good to retire the block if it has a crack or something.

I'm going to acquire a handful of 20r blocks this year if all goes as planned.  You could just have one. Wonder if we could get one down there reasonably from MT.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 01:44:02 PM »
Cracked block?
Time to go wheelin!

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,145
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 08:08:00 PM »
Yeah, that pic does make it appear to be a cracked block, hopefully not :crossed:
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 08:36:50 PM »
do you have milky oil? or oil in your coolant? I wonder if it is possible it is leaking from the head or headgasket, and dripping down to the block?
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 09:17:22 AM »
As a road trip repair I would add a cooling system leak stopper.
Silver seal is the best but bars leak tabs work also. (read and follow the instructions)
This Should help your situation until you are home and can make a larger repair possible.
Best of luck.
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 10:31:25 AM »
It will also help clog up your heater core and radiator. Stay away from that garbage. If you have electrolysis build up (like many of these do) in your head and block, pour that junk in there and youe almost guaranteed to be doing a head gasket soon.

That being said. My 80 model had a cracked block since about 83-84. The man I got it from cleaned it with a wire wheel and put some marinetex on it. Still there to this day. If I were in your shoes I'd clean it very well, mix some jb weld (the 4 minute kind) let it set over night and roll with it. I used it on a 5.9 cummins block in a pinch to get it home and as far as I know the man is still running it. Been a few years back since I talked to him.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 12:52:46 PM »
It will also help clog up your heater core and radiator. Stay away from that garbage. If you have electrolysis build up (like many of these do) in your head and block, pour that junk in there and youe almost guaranteed to be doing a head gasket soon.

That being said. My 80 model had a cracked block since about 83-84. The man I got it from cleaned it with a wire wheel and put some marinetex on it. Still there to this day. If I were in your shoes I'd clean it very well, mix some jb weld (the 4 minute kind) let it set over night and roll with it. I used it on a 5.9 cummins block in a pinch to get it home and as far as I know the man is still running it. Been a few years back since I talked to him.

What the redneck says it true and an excellent caution. I should have included that with my recommendations. This can happen in older vehicles that have components that are near plugged up.
I Have had success using both options (JB weld and seal tabs) for money issue customers and in a pinch situations.
I know that some people dislike them (seal tabs) due to the potentials. If used correctly (not five times, Because more will work better) and the instructions followed properly I have never had an issue Myself. I also would like to mention that Subaru and Cadillac use this same technology as part of the regular maintenance. Seal tabs and cooling system stop leak additive.

http://paceperformance.com/i-6485739-3634621-gm-cooling-system-seal-tabs-for-cadillac-aluminum-engines-other-gm-iron-aluminum-engines.html

http://www.amazon.com/Subaru-SOA635071-Coolant-System-Conditioner/dp/B00IGZP2UE

Subaru does not call it a sealer but trust me, I have used it many times and its a sealer.

I believe there are others that use seal additives strait from the factory.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 07:44:25 PM by :)bestgen4runner »
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 10:45:55 PM »
That being said. My 80 model had a cracked block since about 83-84. The man I got it from cleaned it with a wire wheel and put some marinetex on it. Still there to this day.

This!  Marinetex is the :pokinit:!  Cool thing is, you can install it wet, too.  I've used it to fix leaks on boats while the customers are still on them, as well as to fix barges that cost too much to pull and have down for a couple days to do a proper repair.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!