Author Topic: Where'd ya come from?  (Read 3072 times)

Stevsie

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 22
  • Member since Oct '12
  • My toy never gets stuck. It takes breaks.
    • View Profile
Where'd ya come from?
« on: Nov 17, 2012, 11:52:18 AM »
So, i know there are a ton of people that come to these round-up's. Where do you come from and how long did it take? Also, did you drive or trailer your rig?

Me and my buddy are preplanning to come to the 2013 MCR. We live in western South Dakota in the black hill's. Would it be best to bring our rig's out on trailer or just drive em? I want to drive out just so i can say i've done it and the overall accomplistment would feel good. Is it worth it?

Also. I've seen alot of picture's and i've noticed that there are IFS rig's and such. I do have an 85 with a solid front. But my birfields are stock. Would i be able to come out and putz around and still have fun? I'm a mild driver and i'm not one for choosing hard line's. Specially hundreds of miles away from home. I'd probably round up some extra's before i came...I guess what i'm wanting to know is what i should do to prep my rig for the rubicon. I've got sliders and will have a winch and flat bellied with duel cases by the time i leave. Should i worry about maybe bringing another carrier also? Mines welded.

Just looking for your long haul stories and advise on precaution's and preping. Thanks!!

85 SR5 Extra Cab
TG front, 63's in rear
Runs on love and money, but mostly money...

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Re: Where'd ya come from?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2012, 02:35:25 PM »
So, i know there are a ton of people that come to these round-up's. Where do you come from and how long did it take? Also, did you drive or trailer your rig?

Me and my buddy are preplanning to come to the 2013 MCR. We live in western South Dakota in the black hill's. Would it be best to bring our rig's out on trailer or just drive em? I want to drive out just so i can say i've done it and the overall accomplistment would feel good. Is it worth it?

Also. I've seen alot of picture's and i've noticed that there are IFS rig's and such. I do have an 85 with a solid front. But my birfields are stock. Would i be able to come out and putz around and still have fun? I'm a mild driver and i'm not one for choosing hard line's. Specially hundreds of miles away from home. I'd probably round up some extra's before i came...I guess what i'm wanting to know is what i should do to prep my rig for the rubicon. I've got sliders and will have a winch and flat bellied with duel cases by the time i leave. Should i worry about maybe bringing another carrier also? Mines welded.

Just looking for your long haul stories and advise on precaution's and preping. Thanks!!

1) When I went to MCR, I lived an hour from the Rubicon, and I don't have a tow rig or trailer, so I drove my 4runner through the whole trail. I went in through Georgetown but you will want to go in South Lake Tahoe side if you are coming from that far away.

2) Honestly if you are traveling that far and have the option to trailer your vehicles, I would recommend that route. You can still attempt to do most if not all the trail and you will have the peace of mind to know that in case something does happen, you only have to limp a few miles to the trailer, not 1500 home. Not to say it hasn't been done, lots of people do it.

3) When I went there was a bone stock 85 pick up with rock sliders. They made it through. Pics are on here somewhere. Spare parts like extra birfs and third members are always worth having. Sounds like your rig is pretty competant for the trail. I went through with duals, 35s, open front, locked rear, and body armor and had no problem.

It is great to see folks from across the country making the "pilgrimage" to the Rubicon. MCR is a great event, and you will meet tons of awesome people. Look around the MCR boards, every year there are "Preparing for MCR" threads, which might give you some more ideas on what to do and how to better prepare for the trip.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2012, 11:25:01 PM »
when i went to the round up in 2010 i lived 15miles from the tahoma side entrance and drove now im 5hrs away and i will still drive my rig to the roundup
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2012, 12:59:30 PM »
There are guys that live in the PNW and drive their crawlers down and back.  I'd definitely carry some spares, just in case.  Including a spare tire of course.  I see too many rigs with no spares.   But there is also the feeling that 90% of the people there will help lend a hand and part if you need it.  Most generally only ask that send the parts back when you get home. 

I plan to drive mine there one day. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

mudaddict

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -82
  • Male Posts: 1,829
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
    • All Pro Off Road
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2012, 03:02:09 PM »
I have towed my rig from north wa state (12-14 hr dr) and i have driven my sas's tacoma from so cal (10hr dr). I did the trail in my truck with stock birfs and had no troubles what so ever.
Even if something fails people are always willing to lend a hand.
Mcr is a very fun and well worth it to make the trip.
98 Taco- Super charged, sas'd, bobbed, locked,taco boxed with 39's
Taco Build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88901.0

I work At
All Pro Off Road

Zane

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -20
  • Male Posts: 164
  • Member since Nov '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2012, 12:02:18 PM »
i dont live too far, only like 2 hour drive so both years ive gone i drove my rig. the first year i did it on 35 A/Ts, open front and rear, dual cases, stock birfs, and stock gears and i managed to go through the whole way without any breakage

Stevsie [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 22
  • Member since Oct '12
  • My toy never gets stuck. It takes breaks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2012, 03:09:57 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys! Looking forward to beeing there!! :)
85 SR5 Extra Cab
TG front, 63's in rear
Runs on love and money, but mostly money...

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2013, 10:44:58 PM »
My rig has been towed and driven to the trail.  It was actually driven more as an IFS rig than it is now that is on 60s. 

Basically, if you want to drive it, being some spares, and embrace what you've already said you do.  Go slow, take the easy lines, you'll make it through no problem
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,056
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2013, 12:57:35 AM »
It has been a few years since I drove my SAS 4Runner from WA, but I did the entire round trip in four days.  800 miles one the highway on day 1, one and a half days on the trail and one and a half days back home.  It was an adventure.  I have driven from WA to Moab at least 5 times for five days on the trails.  No broken parts so far.  It is all about driving style, making smart choices, building a reliable rig and a bit of luck.

You are talking about a long drive so the tow rig might be more comfortable for the trip.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Skot

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 7
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 03, 2013, 07:11:59 PM »
Drove my rig to... through and back. Only live two hours away. Some people made it last year from Canada.

BIGBIRD

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 231
  • Member since Jun '02
  • lady driven
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 02, 2013, 09:36:44 AM »
984 miles to Loon from my front door here in Chilliwack Canada.  i used to drive my 84 4runner years ago. But soft top and the sound of super swampers wearing down like crazy for 15 + hours there and back, was not my idea of fun anymore.. Dodge Ram ,camper and trailer now.

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 02, 2013, 11:21:32 AM »
To many thousands of miles away.  Maybe some day when I'm on the west coat someone will offer me a chance to ride shotgun. :crossed:
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O