Author Topic: f-150 radius arms SAS conversion  (Read 7275 times)

toysfreak

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 227
  • Male Posts: 632
  • Member since Sep '03
  • I Love My Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
f-150 radius arms SAS conversion
« on: Feb 24, 2013, 12:50:23 AM »
Hey guys. Had this 95 4runner. Finally doing SAS. Have 84 mini p/u front axle.
Have this stock set of 77 ford f150 Radius arms.   Gonna lengthen em and put bronce coils and Ranco long travel shocks
Unbolted the whole ifs ifs today. Torchn the brackets off next week. Then mountn all this together
Anyone know someone who has done this??   Maybe a email or pm some body??   Will post pics within a few weeks. Located in 93243
95 4 runner. 4 cyl dual ultimate w. R150.  V6 rear w spool.  New Chevy springs on 12" extended frame.      Front.  SAS w chromoly shafts.  And spartan    In frazier park ca 93225

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Re: f-150 radius arms SAS conversion
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2013, 11:45:18 AM »
No I haven't heard of anybody doing it.

A thought, from when I used to work at the tire shop and we did alot of lifts, especially on Ford's.   :shake_head:  Was the fact that the bushing the Radius arms mounted to on the frame used to wear out exceedingly fast when off road alot.  The bushings at that time, just took a beating.  I would look into into seeing if you could put rod ends on there instead of the factory style bushings.  Look into Superlift, or Rancho extended radius arms, they are longer and are bent to help clear the tire, cause the stock one the larger tires would rub.  And they are alot stronger than the factory ones. 

And your gonna put a panhard on too?
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2013, 12:44:55 PM »
i dont see why it wouldn't work, you would need a trac bar to locate side to side...  the fab skills to pull this off arnt to extreme, but with the stock system your going to be limited on suspension articulation, you could pull off a floating arm type setup, that would be trick (cant find a picture at the moment)

look into James Duff, they make some A+ stuff for early bronco,rangers, and BII's if nothing else look at there rod ended radius arms for ideas...
Jeffs Bronco Graveyard is also a good source of info and parts for that style of suspension.

biggest thing is getting the castor correct, but you also do have to watch out for the tires hitting on full turn, with the area you have between the passenger knuckle and the diff, its going to be a bit harder to use stock ford parts, i might look into a setup like the jeeps use with there long arm kits, its more like a 3 link

to all the nay sayers  this is bout the same as putting an 60 or 80 series axle in a early toy

Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

toysfreak [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2013, 08:56:20 PM »
Using 77 F150 radius arms. Gonnd put them bout a inch or 2 inward of the original perches. Yes. Into the diff a tad. The rear mounts will be Heim style. Track bar. Yes
Stock length arms would mount in front of bud built dual case x-member. 10" longer would be just past that x-member.
My buddy has the 4X Dr extended radius arms.  Mine will be similar. Ordering everything by friday.
Only thing i am tryn to figure out is the coil springs.   I want cherokee style. (Smaller). Maybe 5" lift cherokee fronts. ??   Have some way long shocks. Gonna need longer when i am done.  Pics to follow.  818-813-3112. In SoCal
95 4 runner. 4 cyl dual ultimate w. R150.  V6 rear w spool.  New Chevy springs on 12" extended frame.      Front.  SAS w chromoly shafts.  And spartan    In frazier park ca 93225

toysfreak [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2013, 08:50:50 PM »
UPDA5E.  Do to my welder guy doing the disappearing act on me while my truck was torn down
I went ahead and bought the ifs eliminator kit from another shop. And did the leaf spring kit
So now i am signing up for a welding class.   And my next build on another truck will use these 77 F-150 RADIUS. arms

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2013, 09:24:29 PM »
I wish I took metal shop in HS.  And they don't offer any real welding classes at the Comm. College here. 

A buddy took some classes cause he wanted to learn how to weld.  And due to his OCD, he is now a welding inspector, and making bank!! 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen