Author Topic: FJ80 axle under first gen runner using modified radius arms HELP  (Read 5647 times)

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
Ok, so, its tire time, and I dont want to buy tires twice,

Im currently IFS with a 2" body lift and an automatic.

I HATE the auto
I HATE the IFS
I HATE the body lift

ALL THREE MUST GO

I have a line up on an fj80 axle, non elocker (wish it was) this is what I would prefer to run under the front

What I am kinda wanting to do is...

using the stock fj80 radius arm brackets using the stock coil buckets on the axle....

heres what Im thinking:

time is a limitation, Im in a hurry typing this.

I want to remove IFS, cut off lower control arm brackets.

make custom radius arms, using either the stock tcase crossmember bolts for the brackets, or welding brackets onto the stock crossmember. not touching my frame while Im in a hurry.... using the stock upper control arms bolts on frame, and welding to remnants of lower brackets to attached rushed upper coil buckets and shock hoops,

get custom tie rod, get it done, fix it later? buy right tires now
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
I always hated being in a hurry
it creates so much more work later,

with a radius arm set up, you will need  a panhard.
wheel the ifs for now. build it right later,

id hate to see you with a hack job, that you regret doing and wind up doing it right anyway

just my opinion, I did the RA set up on my dodge and getting everything perfect took a good week

goodluck

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
If you're in a hurry like you say you are. Dont make custome radius arms. Just make a custom bracket to get the correct steering geometry using the stockers.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 469
  • Male Posts: 1,587
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
I can completely understand not wanting to buy tires twice but take your time and do it right. I highly doubt that the stock radius arm set up will perform well and it will be a whole lot of work to transplant all the brackets needed to your frame. Over on Pirate there is a vendor that is about to release new steering knuckles and hysteer arms for the FJ80 axles. He is also going to be releasing leaf spring mounts at the same time.

Again, take your time and do it right!
My 85 4Runner build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=46841.0

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
for the money spend on new knuckles and hi-steer, I might as well run a mini axle and longs after the cost of the axle included.

honestly I might run just the stock radius arms. honestly, this swap is mostly for tire clearence and added stability at the same time. wider axle, longer wheelbase, and more room for tires, this is not a rock crawler, I would keep the IFS, but its damaged. I am well beyond the point of legal tread.

so maybe just the stock radius arms and brackets
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
then weld them half way on,
if its not wheeled it will be ok
rig the hell out of it, fix it later,

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
lol
Its gonna be wheeled, just not flexed like mad.... my new ride is a longtravel buggy, so dont really need IFS on my personal rig.

www.sandland.com for pictures or search for sandland adventures on youtube.com

RockRescue

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I think you would be better off just running a mini axle .   What size tire are you trying to run ?     You have a set of my rear springs   to build a front pack .   I have  a houseing    all you need is a hanger  $58 on sale at sky rt now   some frame tubes   then we could get you a high steer setup  and you would be good to go .   when you are on a Tight scedule and a tight  Budget  Keep it stupid simple .

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
(Im teassing)

you need those new 4.5 King 3.0" 16" long By-pass shocks. I dont think you can make it to work otherwise. You gotta watch those speed bumps, they'll get'ya every time!
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
I got big king coilovers on my new ride, they make it over jumbo speed bumps with no problems

zembalayan

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 254
  • Male Posts: 486
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
 Hey, Matt!  Bumping this to see if you'll post up your idea coming together since you scored a lot the parts you need!  Great talking with you the other day.   :greengrin:

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
Hey, you know what I DO need... a 16x1.5 panhard bolt... you got one? I went to 5/8ths for everything else but that one and then the two 18mm for the other end

zembalayan

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 254
  • Male Posts: 486
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
Hey, you know what I DO need... a 16x1.5 panhard bolt... you got one? I went to 5/8ths for everything else but that one and then the two 18mm for the other end
Bog-Toy,
I only have hardware for one end, and you did too good of a job talking me into keeping that stuff.  Sorry, man!  Still looking forward to seeing your multi-use rig here soon!

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
Just gotta find that bolt and figure out coil buckets