Author Topic: 85 Carb wont start ?  (Read 620 times)

Slobbermouth

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 221
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
85 Carb wont start ?
« on: Feb 04, 2013, 01:32:15 PM »
I have a real head scratcher,  85 22R   was running great. My son was driving it and called me saying it was losing power he couldnt get it to go over 40 mph.  I told him bring it home, The next morning I went out to start it and it turned for a bit then started but was loaded up ( sputtering and I could smell fuel ). I turned it off and now it just turns wont even start for a few seconds.  I checked spark and its ok, put fuel in the carb nothing, pulled the dist to make sure it didn't jump time that was good. replaced the fuel pump and filters, wires, plugs, coil, ignighter. Im lost anyone have any idea's ?

lone walker

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -26
  • Male Posts: 607
  • Member since Oct '09
  • we're there!
    • View Profile
Re: 85 Carb wont start ?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2013, 06:48:26 PM »
Same similar situation happened to me awhile back, started off with rev limiter not allowing me to pull pass 3k and shortly there after, limit my speed. Shut it off along side of the road and will not turn over until after I towed it home. Started fine when it was off load, drove around the block and back to the drive way and turned it off. Rig will not start after that.

Start off with checking for compression on all 4 cylinder, mine checked out fine.... If everything seems okay as well, pull your valve cover off and verify if your distributor drive gear is still in tack, being held by the main cam bolt to the camshaft. That might be your problem.

My cam bolt somehow rattle loose and semi-strip caused by cam to distributor. That was enough to not get complete multi-spark in all cylinder. Spark was very weak and every other or so rotation, each other cylinder will not have spark/skip the entire cylinder when the bolt pulls out and somehow the rattle will wedge the bolt back in and have spark. End up destroying my camshaft.

hope this helps...
Going, going, gone

Slobbermouth [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 221
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Re: 85 Carb wont start ?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2013, 08:05:28 AM »
Thank you,   I pulled my dist thinking maybe the gear had spun But I dindnt think to check the cam gear. I will look at that tonight.