Author Topic: Trouble with my duals  (Read 1963 times)

84yotated

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
Trouble with my duals
« on: Aug 20, 2012, 06:36:46 PM »
So the other day I was toying around with my truck and when I tried to switch it back into 2wd, the tcase was stuck, I ended up trying to force it into 2wd and snapped my twinstick shifter. I pulled it into the garage and took the shifters out and used a screwdriver to shift and when I got it out of 4wd it was like the tcase was being binded and the load was released when it shifted. Anybody have any experience with this?
thanks, Ted.

83yota5960

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -20
  • Male Posts: 551
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble with my duals
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2012, 08:39:50 PM »
my buddy just did duals in his 4 runner ran in to the same probablem, he hasent took them apart yet to look and see whats up. i also did a 4.7 in my case and had similar probablem ended up taking the case apart twice and everything was right ended putting the shifter in backwards and that worked. ive seen alot of these poping up lately.
83 short bed yota 35's 5.29's 4.7 f-150's arb front aussie locker rear high steer ifs rear axle
83 short bed yota 31 a/t mild lift welded ifs rear axle
99 audi A4 as my new daily driver.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2012, 09:16:21 PM »
See this alot.  Generally, the reason is there is still a load against the gears.  And you have to really force it to get the gears to shift.  The solution is generally you have to back up/go forward a little to release the tension.  My stock case will do the same thing, and I just got to release the tension, and it will shift very easily.   
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

4-lo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -80
  • Male Posts: 752
  • Member since Dec '05
  • build tonite crawl tomorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2012, 10:43:20 PM »
See this alot.  Generally, the reason is there is still a load against the gears.  And you have to really force it to get the gears to shift.  The solution is generally you have to back up/go forward a little to release the tension.  My stock case will do the same thing, and I just got to release the tension, and it will shift very easily.   

x2

put her in gear, hold the clutch push the shifter forward to 2wd release the clutch it works for me.   i bet its common for all wheelers even stock 4x4.  my cousins stock did the same he played with it for two hours then finally gave up and called me, i got there spend more time talking bs then putting her back in 2wd in a flash.

4-lo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -80
  • Male Posts: 752
  • Member since Dec '05
  • build tonite crawl tomorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 20, 2012, 10:56:40 PM »
 :dunno: it could be something else too...brand of gears installed in the case...we have four two with mc gears and two with tc gears.  the two with mc gears we have no problem with it doesnt matter if you use just 2.28 without putting the rear in 4wd.  the two tc gears you cant do that it gets stuck, so one trash the tc and went with mc gears and sure enough the problem was gone. :bowdown:

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2012, 12:01:41 AM »

This!  :yesnod: It's because of the binding between the front and rear drive shafts through the case which binds the gears together very tightly. Usually if you get a slow roll going and step on the clutch, rocking the steering a little from side to side will unbind the drivetrain enough for the shift to come easy. It's not as uncommon as you might think. Just don't force it! You already see what happens when you do.  :smack:

84yotated [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2012, 12:11:45 AM »
Alright guys sound good! Thanks for the info!

twisted metal

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2012, 09:52:12 AM »
It also helps to back up just a bit when this happens if you are going foward. I don't recall having this issue
in reverse but mine does this occaisionally and I can stop put it in reverse and just barely move and it slips
right out.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #8 on: Aug 21, 2012, 04:21:42 PM »
The comments about the case being in a bind from unequal forces acting on the rear and front drive shafts are correct. It's the same principle as to why a front selectable locker (such as a Zip Air Locker or a Toyota E-Locker) won't unlock if in a bind. Rocking back and forth is a good method to free the drivetrain, but if you have to reeeeally force it, then don't. Just keep driving for a few more mins and then try it again. Either it will disengage 4WD normally or it won't. I also believe that Twin Stick equipped rigs are more likely to disengage 4WD (I do this often to help turn sharp corners) so it's possible that you just never noticed it as much before.

Larger tires and/or airing way down will also add resistance to the front end which will require more time for the stresses and loads to naturally work their course.

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki