Author Topic: lug nut trouble  (Read 7568 times)

12GA.YOTA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 143
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
lug nut trouble
« on: Nov 17, 2007, 09:53:59 PM »
p/o put some of those special lug nuts that takes a specific key to take off but I don't have the key, they are on all of the lugs 24 of them dose any body know an easy way of getting these off, I heard you can hammer a socket to them but I don't want to loose 24 sockets. these lug nuts are round with grooves cut into them in different places so only that key can grab it. any thing could help thanks
84 toy 5" suspension, 2" shackle, new 35" Boggers, Detroit rear, tru-trac front, 5.29 gears, custom made bumpers f/r, custom sliders, racing seats with 4 point harness, marlin 4.70:1 t-case,stock 4 banger with sincro Webber carb

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: lug nut trouble
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2007, 10:39:53 PM »
Take it to a tire shop.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 2,363
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2007, 12:43:04 AM »
Do you remember where you bought the lugnuts from, I understand that each company would have a standard key, with the exception of maybe some of the upperend companies that maybe have something more special...

Could you fab a key?
Life is too short!!!   Do something with it!!!

WILLYNILLY
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=23944.new#new

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2007, 09:20:16 AM »
grind off the chrome then weld a nut to the lug, bust the nut off and put a band-aid on those bleeding knuckles. next get a chisal and try to beat them in the off direction.

more band-aids please.

then take a cutting torch to them, cut the lugs off the bolts, after you've been relisted from the burn unit take it to the tire store. :twocents:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2007, 10:25:26 AM »
I had a set of those years ago, and they were pretty soft...  Vice-grips might work.  Of course the locks will get all boogered up, but you'll probably be tossing them anyway.
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2007, 10:32:04 AM »
Tire shops usually have a "Nut" remover. Typically charge a few more pennies for their trouble, but occasionally worth the $$ to avoid the @#$%^&^%$$%^*& of busting your knuckles. I had a similar problem few years ago, and they were able to get them off without much difficulty, and cost me like 4 or 5$

Erik
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2007, 11:42:16 AM »
Tire shops usually have a "Nut" remover. Typically charge a few more pennies for their trouble, but occasionally worth the $$ to avoid the @#$%^&^%$$%^*& of busting your knuckles. I had a similar problem few years ago, and they were able to get them off without much difficulty, and cost me like 4 or 5$

Erik

Thats what I would try, 5 bucks would be well worth your time,  you could just call around too and find out who will help you out, some shops may just let you borrow the tool in front of their shop...

WILLYNILLY

DanS

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 434
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2007, 11:53:57 AM »
X2, tire shops are well versed with owners who lose these locks, good luck.
DanS
Wow, been looking at my 4Runner rust away too long, need some inspiration and here I will find it...!

85 Toyota 4Runner, solid axle, 22Re, original paint and graphics and not a straight panel to be found!

12GA.YOTA [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2007, 12:48:45 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I have a freind that works at the junk yard and every time he finds alug nut key he snags it so he luckily had one that fit, guess they arent one of a kind afterall
84 toy 5" suspension, 2" shackle, new 35" Boggers, Detroit rear, tru-trac front, 5.29 gears, custom made bumpers f/r, custom sliders, racing seats with 4 point harness, marlin 4.70:1 t-case,stock 4 banger with sincro Webber carb

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2007, 08:53:18 PM »
There is a socket that will remove them, tires stores carry them but it may be cheaper to buy a set in your case. When I bought my truck it had locks on them and the kid I bought it from couldn't find the key-lock so my next door nieghbor had a set and we had all 4 off in about 10 min.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

dt

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -107
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2007, 12:37:33 AM »
I welded on some and that softened the metal and then I could get a grip on them with vicegrips

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2007, 01:15:19 AM »
I welded on some and that softened the metal and then I could get a grip on them with vicegrips

Welding will make a steel harder and more brittle assuming its temperature has risen above the eutectic range. If so, then its microstructure will turn into austenite, and depending on how you cool them down, your likely to get some martensite forming along with some bainite, which is extremely brittle due to the fact that most of its remaining carbon will transform without diffusion, so you will have carbon atom interstitials which prevent slip dislocations to form and thereby creating an instant fracture which is brittle by nature.

If you wanted to weld on them only to play with the microstructure, then I would recommend getting them very hot (above 700 degrees C) and then immediately quenching them with a continueous stream of water. This will increase the weight percent of martensite and will give you the most brittle result to play with (shatter it baby!)

Of course this will make your studs brittle as well, so therefore don't weld on lug nuts!! Sheeesh

Ideally you would want to try to get Pearlite (a very strong microstructure) to form, or even better some Spherodite, but you will need to cool it very slowly by holding them in an oven of some sort, which wouldn't work here...

Yup, just take it to a tire shop :thumbs:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2007, 01:31:13 AM »
Ah, now if you weld and heat them up to its invariant point, or some other point near its liquidus line where you have a liquid-solid solution, and then grip it with some vicegrips immediately before quenching it below 200 C to form your martensite, then you would be able to deform the nuts enough for the vicegrips to lock onto them and then extract them.

Of course you would have to take into account the fact that the vicegrips themselves will loose their heat treatment and they will become fused together with the nut you will need to grind off...

This approach seems possible, but the liquidus line should be in excess of 1,100 C and I don't know if many welders can achieve this or not, plus you have to keep it above that point while you are welding it and moving the vice grip around. :flamer:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

ninja turtle

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 38
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2007, 10:00:36 AM »
 :ha_ha: :ha_ha:

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2007, 12:40:22 PM »
Ah, now if you weld and heat them up to its invariant point, or some other point near its liquidus line where you have a liquid-solid solution, and then grip it with some vicegrips immediately before quenching it below 200 C to form your martensite, then you would be able to deform the nuts enough for the vicegrips to lock onto them and then extract them.

Of course you would have to take into account the fact that the vicegrips themselves will loose their heat treatment and they will become fused together with the nut you will need to grind off...

This approach seems possible, but the liquidus line should be in excess of 1,100 C and I don't know if many welders can achieve this or not, plus you have to keep it above that point while you are welding it and moving the vice grip around. :flamer:
Welding will make a steel harder and more brittle assuming its temperature has risen above the eutectic range. If so, then its microstructure will turn into austenite, and depending on how you cool them down, your likely to get some martensite forming along with some bainite, which is extremely brittle due to the fact that most of its remaining carbon will transform without diffusion, so you will have carbon atom interstitials which prevent slip dislocations to form and thereby creating an instant fracture which is brittle by nature.

If you wanted to weld on them only to play with the microstructure, then I would recommend getting them very hot (above 700 degrees C) and then immediately quenching them with a continueous stream of water. This will increase the weight percent of martensite and will give you the most brittle result to play with (shatter it baby!)

Of course this will make your studs brittle as well, so therefore don't weld on lug nuts!! Sheeesh

Ideally you would want to try to get Pearlite (a very strong microstructure) to form, or even better some Spherodite, but you will need to cool it very slowly by holding them in an oven of some sort, which wouldn't work here...

Yup, just take it to a tire shop

Awwwww, what ???
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Doof

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2007, 09:54:50 PM »

i only followd all that because of my fire class which is basically a chem class, but even so that was very confusing and how could you think of stuff that technical at 130am?

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2007, 08:14:53 AM »
Nice info Mike. Someone was paying attention in class.  :thumbs:

I have run into a simular problem before nd lucily for me it was on a car with nonexistance backspacing on the wheels. I was able to grind some flat spots onto the lugnuts, and use a wrench to get the lugs broke loose.

Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2007, 10:49:56 AM »
I ran into this one time on my truck..   GO to Homedepo and buy a concrete chisel with hex shaft on it for about $10 then go home and with your grinder cut notch the same size as the chisel then but a socket the same size as the hex on the back and start turing... all done.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2007, 10:54:44 AM »
I just find a 12pt socket that is just smaller than the lug, hit the hell out of it to fit it on the lug, then remove. :hammerhead:

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2007, 08:53:20 PM »
Gator Grip, never tried it but it could work.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2007, 09:46:45 PM »

Those things suck.  They only work on stuff that is a little tighter than finger tight, if that, and they don't work on anything deep.  My mom has one, and it is completely worthless  :thumbdown:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

skyscraper

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 589
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2007, 10:06:11 PM »
I work at tire pros, and we have a set of bolt extractors just for this problem.  Just hammer it on snug, then hit it with a breakrer bar or impact.  12pt socket will do the same if your willing to sacrifice it, but you would have to really hit it on there good before trying to turn, otherwise it'll slip.  A big set of vise grips sometimes will work too.  I would never weld on it because of the heat damage.  I think big mike took care of that though...

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Dec 04, 2007, 06:54:52 AM »

I have the gator grip brand and it worked awesome for tearing my truck apart and did fine on the things that were pretty stuck too the only problem I had with it was contamination made some of the prongs get stuck in and then it stoped working on hard stuff.

WILLYNILLY

Redeyejedi

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2007, 04:07:23 PM »
x13 on da tire shop!!! they may be able to locate a key for you. those gator grips suckballs. wont do didly on lugs, barely do squat on nuts. i remeber metwrench from sears/craftsman(i think) was better for stripped bolts/nuts, but for dem luglox, i'd try to hunt down a proper key if possible, may save some headache. just my too scents.
alcohol.....the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78234902@N06/

Doof

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2007, 04:38:15 PM »
take a pic of the pattern...i might have a key you can buy if you want

12GA.YOTA [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Dec 04, 2007, 06:53:42 PM »
I got them off and threw them out and got a new set of 4, one on each wheele should do fine to protect my brand new 35" boggers and rock crawler black steely rims, thanx for all the help and advice  :bowdown:  :thumbs:

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Dec 04, 2007, 07:51:17 PM »
I got them off and threw them out and got a new set of 4, one on each wheele should do fine to protect my brand new 35" boggers and rock crawler black steely rims, thanx for all the help and advice  :bowdown:  :thumbs:

What after all this your not going to tell us how you got them off??? :moon:

WILLYNILLY

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Dec 04, 2007, 08:21:19 PM »
^^ + 1  :moon:   :gap:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

skyscraper

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 589
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Dec 05, 2007, 01:20:12 PM »
x3

12GA.YOTA [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Dec 05, 2007, 04:22:23 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I have a freind that works at the junk yard and every time he finds alug nut key he snags it so he luckily had one that fit, guess they arent one of a kind afterall