Author Topic: 84 4x4 occasionally wont go into gear from a stop  (Read 2300 times)

Cooper

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
84 4x4 occasionally wont go into gear from a stop
« on: May 03, 2012, 02:07:39 PM »
84 4x4 Pickup Shifts fine when motor is off. Shifts fine while driving. Most of the time it wont go into gear from a complete stop. Any of the gears. If I keep trying the gears eventually it will go into gear. Then it will go in any of them. I replaced the master cylinder it was leaking bleed the system, adjusted the pedal. The slave cylinder is moving. There is a creaking sound that comes from inside the bell housing when the clutch is pushed in and out. The throw out bearing makes a faint whirling sound.

I usually slowly put it in first gear when coming to a stop it goes in fine. The truck has 175,000 miles on it and I believe it has the original clutch. I don't mind pulling the trans, if it needs internal repairs I'll get a Marlin rebuilt just don't want to pull it and replace the clutch and still have the same problem.

One note I think the clutch is working because I tried reverse and slowly released the clutch until i could hear reverse start grinding?

Syncros, shift forks??????

Any help would be appreciated. :down:
Live life or it will live you! Live in the moment!

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
Time for a new clutch kit, pressure plate, disk, throwout bearing, and replace the slave cylinder too,
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

Cooper [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reply!

Well that sounds doable, so you don't think there is anything wrong with the tranny?

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
I think the pressure plate is worn out.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
Its cheaper then a new trans to try it, and if you need a new trans, you have a new clutch kit to put in it

Cooper [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Cool makes sense, I'll order one up and give it a go!

Thanks

PETDOC

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
Not sure if this applies, but there is a rubber cup under your shifter that wears down and eventually will roll up preventing you from shifting into a gear or causing the shifter to pop out after you get it into gear. It is a really simple and cheap fix.

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Sounds more like a transmission problem then a clutch problem to me. It could be the shifter seat cup is broken, is the shifter real sloppy?  You can get H-D ones from Marlin.Easy fix, pull the boot off the shifters and take the shifter out of the shifter socket and check the plastic bushing to see if it is broken.  It could be the synchromesh gears in the tranny.

If you have to pull the tranny, do not forget to have the flywheel checked for cracks and resurfaced.

Here is a link to the shifter parts you may need:

http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmission/parts-upgrade/heavy-duty-shift-lever-ball-seats

http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmission/parts-upgrade/heavy-duty-shift-lever-socket
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

Cooper [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thanks for more input I forgot to say that I did order a new bushing and cup   :hammerhead: tried that hoping it would work. the old one was mush. The problem was still there.

When I pull the trans hopefully there will be some signs of the problem. If not I may just get a new trans and transfer from marlin then I be will good for a long time. I really don't want to pull the trans twice if the clutch isn't the problem. time is money, money is time even if your doing it yourself.

Thanks again for the input.

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
175k on a clutch is a long time, even longer on a 4x4

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
I think there is nothing wrong with the trans.   Mine does it.  And it's been rebuilt.  Its the fact that the synchro's are blocking the gears from meshing.  But over time, by forcing it into and out of gear, you can manually move the synchros, till you can get the gears to slide into and out of other gears. 

Try this, the next time it doesn't engage while stopped, put it in Neutral, and engage the clutch, and then disengage the clutch, and try again shifting gears.  What you'd done is send power into the trans, spinning the gear assemblies, and the synchro's will have moved to a different spot. 

I've had many friends want to sell their rigs, because they have difficulty getting it into first or reverse.  Till I tell them, those gears generally don't have synchros.  I tell them to engage and disengage the clutch, and then the gear shift will fall into place.  Next thing I know they aren't selling their rigs. 

Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen