Author Topic: Rotor sticks out too far  (Read 3996 times)

Mega Baby Huey

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 432
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Rotor sticks out too far
« on: Dec 21, 2011, 09:11:53 AM »
so i'm in the middle of a front brake job that's been going on for almost a week now, and i have a new problem. After replacing the rotors, studs, and pads i put it back together and find that the driver's side tire is locked tight. the pads are loose, so i start looking for contact somewhere else and the caliper itself is pressing against the rotor. i compare distances to the other side and the drivers side rotor is sticking out WAY more than the passengers side rotor. so i tear it all back apart to look for the problem and i can't find anything. The rotor just wont go all the way in... This project has gone on way too long and i just need to finish this stupid thing. the only thing i can think of is maybe the knuckle is spaced wrong? i don't know... anyone have any ideas?
The Art of Flying is Actually Quite Simple! You Just Have to Throw Yourself at the Ground and Miss!!!                                   All This Global Warming is Wearing Out My Snow Shovel!!!                        Paved Roads: Just Another Example of Useless Government Spending!                                          Toyota. Moving forward... even if you don't want to...
My Old Toy

sckid831

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 19
  • Male Posts: 161
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
Re: Rotor sticks out too far
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2011, 10:41:28 AM »
caliper bolt hitting the rotor? mine did that a couple times i had no washer on the bolt so it went too far and hit the rotor causing it to not move

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2011, 11:20:53 AM »
caliper bolt hitting the rotor? mine did that a couple times i had no washer on the bolt so it went too far and hit the rotor causing it to not move

i don't think so... even with the bolts almost all the way off the caliper was still hitting the rotor...

here's a picture to show what i mean

this is the drivers side. I'm pushing it on as far as it will go:

this is the passengers side done up all purdy like!!!!!

I'm on my lunch break now, but when i get off i'm going to take a closer look... I just have no idea what could be causing it...
The Art of Flying is Actually Quite Simple! You Just Have to Throw Yourself at the Ground and Miss!!!                                   All This Global Warming is Wearing Out My Snow Shovel!!!                        Paved Roads: Just Another Example of Useless Government Spending!                                          Toyota. Moving forward... even if you don't want to...
My Old Toy

yotatough

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2011, 12:41:15 PM »
looks like its just not seated all the way on the spindal

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2011, 02:22:39 PM »
looks like its just not seated all the way on the spindal

that's what i'm thinking... but then why could i completely assemble everything with it on there? wouldn't the snap ring in the hub be too far back if the rotor wasn't seated all the way?
My Old Toy

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2011, 03:00:31 PM »
wrong bearing seated on the back of the hub?
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2011, 03:38:07 PM »
wrong bearing seated on the back of the hub?

i didn't touch them when i did the whole job... i just left them where they were...
My Old Toy

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2011, 04:00:47 PM »
oh, then you just need to  baby it on there.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

6.2L V8

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2011, 04:18:49 PM »
ya its probably just not seated all the way on the spindle. just give it some taps or shake it on there or somthing. happens all the time
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2011, 04:35:43 PM »
ya its probably just not seated all the way on the spindle. just give it some taps or shake it on there or somthing. happens all the time

x2 :beerchug:
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2011, 05:03:04 PM »

i think you might be right on this but i cannot for the life of me get it on there. I've tried mallets, my feet, and all around brute force and i cannot get it to seat. i can't even see where it might be caught up on... It's driving me nuts!
My Old Toy

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2011, 05:51:19 PM »
Is the locking hub still on?
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

Quick Draw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 250
  • Member since Feb '10
  • Her name is Doris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2011, 05:57:43 PM »
It should seat when you crank down on the spindle lock nut.  But you may pull of the rotor again and see if something is up with the inside bearing before doing that...  It could have been knocked a little sideways or something.
'80 Pickup, 5VZ-FE engine, A340F transmission, Marlin gear drive adapter, Dual Ultimate transfer cases, 5.29 gears, Detroit rear/Lockrite front locker, 37" Goodyear MTRs, XRC8 winch, custom tube bed and armor

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2011, 07:23:33 PM »
It should seat when you crank down on the spindle lock nut.  But you may pull of the rotor again and see if something is up with the inside bearing before doing that...  It could have been knocked a little sideways or something.

This

When beating on it didnt work i would just run the spindle nut on and it would kick it into place
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2011, 07:41:40 AM »
Try this.

David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2011, 07:47:08 AM »
ok... so i figured it out... see the picture below (I just stole OOPS's photo)!?!?! those two pieces with the arrows were switched! so the spindle was outside the dust cover... someone in the past switched them and since his rotors were so bad it actually worked... so it was causing the rotor to not be able to seat all the way. now it works great!!! thank you everyone for your advice!

:beerchug:
My Old Toy

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2011, 09:47:42 AM »
Glad you figured it out!

In case you do not have it, here is a link to the real Toyota FSM. May be best to copy it to a disc, never know how long it will be hosted.

http://www.lukemiller.org/toys/1985_toyota_4wd_front_axle_FSM.pdf
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity