Author Topic: need help with dealing with grief  (Read 3207 times)

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
need help with dealing with grief
« on: Aug 20, 2011, 09:03:56 PM »
i need some advice on how to deal with grief my dad just passed away 2days ago at 56yrs old and i need ideas to calm down my
stress and be able to get 6hrs of sleep without the aid of sleeping medication.
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Re: need help with dealing with grief
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2011, 09:12:27 PM »
I'm truly sorry. You might talk to Shamb...he lost his dad a while back. I lost my wife in a train wreck a few years ago...it sucks.

Really, don't try to not grieve. Cry, yell, get pissed and cry some more. Prayer helps...regardless of your faith, God hears.

If you were close to your Dad...take some time to reflect on what kind of man he was, remember the things he taught you...then honor him by being the kind of man he would want you to be. Our children are our legacy...when I'm gone...the world,on some small scale, will remember me kindly...because of the legacy I have left. Do the same for your Dad.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2011, 09:32:39 PM »
I'm truly sorry. You might talk to Shamb...he lost his dad a while back. I lost my wife in a train wreck a few years ago...it sucks.

Really, don't try to not grieve. Cry, yell, get pissed and cry some more. Prayer helps...regardless of your faith, God hears.

If you were close to your Dad...take some time to reflect on what kind of man he was, remember the things he taught you...then honor him by being the kind of man he would want you to be. Our children are our legacy...when I'm gone...the world,on some small scale, will remember me kindly...because of the legacy I have left. Do the same for your Dad.

could not have said it better myself. lost my dad 2 years ago. takes time and don't feel good.
do you have any kids?
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2011, 01:12:26 AM »
Sorry to hear this, I think the most important part of moving forward is to grieve. When you get past that I found that remembering the good times helped to heal your heart by knowing him. Fond memories have a great effect on your feelings and being able to move forward.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

bigarms23 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2011, 11:33:25 AM »
thanks guys for my by keeping focused has helped and i was laughing when i drove his car and he left me with no gas but i have decided to move on and after the legal junk is done than im moving from truckee back to paso robles ca and than move on with my life
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2011, 11:53:06 AM »
one of the best things i could do after loosing my dad was to talk to someone else about him. I would and still do (5 years later) talk to my wife about things that he did that pissed me off and great things we did together.
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2011, 02:58:24 PM »
one of the best things i could do after loosing my dad was to talk to someone else about him. I would and still do (5 years later) talk to my wife about things that he did that pissed me off and great things we did together.

I do this as well, it really helps remember all the great memories you two may have shared together.

I'll tell you honestly abnormaltoy is very good at expressing in words what we're all thinking sometimes. His words have certainly touched me in my time of need. I know he's always there to listen and support people. I give a great deal of credit to abnormaltoy for helping me vent a little and helping me in my situation.  :)

As time passes things start to get easier, certainly keep all the great memories in your head. I feel one of the greatest ways to respect a loved one is just to keep they're stories and life alive. I think about my pop's on a daily basis and it's a "pick me up" in a way.. like when I get home from work and see my daughter. I will enjoy telling my daughter all the great stories he shared with me and telling her about his life and how much he ment to me one day.
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2011, 04:53:47 PM »

I could not agree more.  Damn it has been 12 years since my father passed I think of him daily & make sure & tell my son stories about him.  My father was a offshore boat racer, his favorite boat was # 174.  Everytime I drive past this mile maker on the interstate I speak to him (in my mind of course)  my wife knows this & this is the only mile she will not talk during.  I try & keep him updated on family stuff.  Helps me anyways.  Good luck & sorry for your loss.

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 21, 2011, 05:52:56 PM »
A kid i knew since he was born died a couple of years ago at 17 years old.
At the funeral, someone said, be happy, be joyful you  knew them for the time they were here, because you might of never had them in your life at all.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

thegoofster21

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,644
  • Member since Mar '08
  • HIT IT HARD!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 21, 2011, 07:39:22 PM »
oh my god man i'm in tears i met your dad for a few mins he seemed like a great man! just remember all the good times. i will be praying for you tonight and many more nights to come! Be strong i know you can. Take care buddy!
Any guy who takes his woman wheeling enjoys her. A woman who is owned is left at home to cook, clean, and keep beer cold. So if this offends you you should stop looking and go have some tacos.    :rofl2: And a beer. If your old enough.   :beerchug:   :beer:

04 Tacoma 33s http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61454.0
jmoffroad.com

rockin86runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 871
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 21, 2011, 07:46:59 PM »
wow man truely sry to hear this Cry, get pissed and cry some more and just always talk about him.. ill be praying for you and your family bud
85 toy runner tons 4link front and rear ORIs 42 pitbulls

86 runner some other things  pained orange STOLEN REWARD IF FOUND

70 cj-5 renegade1 buick 231 v-6 t-18 dana20 dana 30,44 32in BFG at 

:usa: USN SEABEE EO2 SCW .....We Build.We Fight.We Defend....Hoo-Rah  GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS :usa:

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #11 on: Aug 21, 2011, 08:41:11 PM »
thanks guys for my by keeping focused has helped and i was laughing when i drove his car and he left me with no gas but i have decided to move on and after the legal junk is done than im moving from truckee back to paso robles ca and than move on with my life

We would all love you to come home,  rock on Daniel.  Just think when your in paso, you, your dad, and the boys can go wheeling. 

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 22, 2011, 08:42:29 PM »
Alot of good words said here.  I lost my dad 6 years ago to cancer.  I had two really good years with him.  The way I see it, is that the body is gone, but his spirit isn't.  He lives in me, my children, and the things I do.  I talk to him like he is here with me.  Sometimes, I will talk to him about something that I am having troubles with, and then all of the sudden, its done.  It is like he helped me.  I see things that if you think they are gone, then they are truly gone forever.  But if you think about them and talk to them frequently, then its easier to deal with their passing. 

Oh, and I cussed that SOB out too!  Especially, when I had to clean out his work truck.  And found all my tools in his truck.   :tantrum:  But then it was followed up with me laughing at him. 

There is one place that I go quite frequently, and that is up the Kilchis River.  I grew up there, and its the one place that I can be close to him, and my grandfather. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

HULK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 306
  • Male Posts: 164
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 23, 2011, 07:01:37 AM »
Sorry about your loss man.  I did not lose my dad, but I lost my grandma a little over 2 years ago now, and I think I will never get over the loss, but cope with it.  I was close to her because she raised me, when nobody else was around.  I learned everything from her.  From the day she passed away, I go to her grave to visit her every 2 to 3 days, every holiday, her and my birthday, when I might be passing by.  I go and eat lunch and just talk to her.  I can honestly say, it is not going to be easy, but I cope the best I can by visiting often, and I still cry over losing her.  It is perfectly fine to do so, I am sorry for your loss, and will keep you and your family in my prayers.

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #14 on: Aug 23, 2011, 09:01:51 AM »
sorry to hear about your dad dan.  let me know if there is anything I can do to help.  You'll be in our prayers for sure.  we'll be closer when you move to paso, which means more wheeling trips.
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

greg_k113

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -49
  • Male Posts: 224
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 23, 2011, 02:10:54 PM »
The Lord is close to the broken hearted; he rescues those whose spirits are crushed. Psalm 34:18

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #16 on: Aug 25, 2011, 01:32:23 PM »
Alot of good words said here.  I lost my dad 6 years ago to cancer.  I had two really good years with him.  The way I see it, is that the body is gone, but his spirit isn't.  He lives in me, my children, and the things I do.  I talk to him like he is here with me.  Sometimes, I will talk to him about something that I am having troubles with, and then all of the sudden, its done.  It is like he helped me.  I see things that if you think they are gone, then they are truly gone forever.  But if you think about them and talk to them frequently, then its easier to deal with their passing. 

Oh, and I cussed that SOB out too!  Especially, when I had to clean out his work truck.  And found all my tools in his truck.   :tantrum:  But then it was followed up with me laughing at him. 

There is one place that I go quite frequently, and that is up the Kilchis River.  I grew up there, and its the one place that I can be close to him, and my grandfather. 
I do the same thing. many times I'll be trying to do something with my truck or the house and will be having a horrid time or just put a tool down and it disappears on me but I'll talk to him and miraculously it will present itself or the problem I had will suddenly become so simple.   
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

greg_k113

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -49
  • Male Posts: 224
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 25, 2011, 04:47:12 PM »
Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7

Zs Confederate Toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,146
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #18 on: Aug 25, 2011, 06:24:28 PM »
Sorry for your loss. I havnt lost my dad, there have been a few close calls but hes still here. But I have lost a few close friends recently and I cried and tried to remember the good things we all did together, talked with other ppl about them. Gotta let it out dont keep it in.
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky