Author Topic: Piston Problem  (Read 4111 times)

blackSR5

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 96
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Piston Problem
« on: Nov 09, 2010, 10:46:04 AM »
So I have a dune buggy as my DD and the other day i Seized the engine... :smack: :smack:...so i am tearing it apart to rebuild it but I cant seem to get the piston off. I have hit it with a hammer a few times but just cant get it to budge. I dont want to hit it too hard for the fact that I dont want to bend the rod. Any ideas??
Want a Runner or a truck...and a DIRT BIKE!!!

yota4x4sc

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 596
  • Member since Oct '10
  • Santa Cruz, CA
    • View Profile
    • My YOTA Pics (click here)
Re: Piston Problem
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2010, 12:21:05 PM »
did u take the cir clips off? if it dont have any its gonna have to be pressed off...dont hit it!!!!!
:usa: 92 xcab, full width, 39.5 boggers, beadlocks, 60 f arb 5.86s , 60 r spool , duals, 4.7 rear... 3.sl0, bobed , all pro 6 inch leafs f and r :usa:

blackSR5 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2010, 12:39:46 PM »
Yeah took those off...that is what I was thinking. Just rying to do it the inexpensive way first...without breaking anything.

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2010, 03:42:04 PM »
bolt and socket being careful not to mar the skirt?   get a bolt that will fit through the pin, and DEEP socket that the pin will fit in.... tighten it down (if you have it, stick a piece of leather or tag board to prevent the socket from marring the skirt

If this helps, please +1 turtle points for me, Im trying to get those out of the negative
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2010, 05:38:00 PM »
did you pull the pan and unbolt the connecting rod??
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2010, 05:49:09 PM »
that picture appears to be a motorcycle type engine, if so there is a good chance the rod does not unbolt from the crank, if that kind of work needs to be done, the pin get pressed out of the crank, and then has to be properly aligned with a jig to re-install the crank pin.
I seems like he is looking to pull the piston off the connecting rod, otherwise I dont see him pulling the wrist pin clips to complete this task,
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2010, 06:15:58 PM »
:headscratch:  ok you got me, i thought it might have been a VW type engine :dunno:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2010, 06:20:22 PM »
I dont know, his picture shows a cam chain, and its a single cylinder we are seeing? with no paired cylinder,
Also, i see what appears to be a clutch or stator housing at the end of where the crankshaft would be?

yota4x4sc

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 596
  • Member since Oct '10
  • Santa Cruz, CA
    • View Profile
    • My YOTA Pics (click here)
« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2010, 01:39:42 AM »
bog ill hook u up wit points when ever i see ur name..
:usa: 92 xcab, full width, 39.5 boggers, beadlocks, 60 f arb 5.86s , 60 r spool , duals, 4.7 rear... 3.sl0, bobed , all pro 6 inch leafs f and r :usa:

blackSR5 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2010, 02:03:55 PM »
Yeah it is a gokart. Single cylinder. The person that rebuilt it before me did a horrible job. The first thing I did when I couldn;t get the piston off was to crack the case and take the rod off...well BOG...your right it wont come off. Im thinking that I need to take it to a machine shop and have them press it off. SHouldnt be too much work for them. I hope they dont charge me too much. Thanks for the help!!

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 10, 2010, 02:20:39 PM »
make sure its a shop that is into motorcycles. as proper alignment is critical when they put it back together... is there a reason you are pulling the rod?  the rod and crank normally have roller bearings unlike most automotive engines...  and typically dont go bad?

normally you just pull the wrist pin from the piston and do a new piston/cylinder?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2010, 03:29:17 PM »
gave you a point bog

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 10, 2010, 03:50:32 PM »
thanks glen

blackSR5 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 11, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »
I dont want to pull the rode...just need them to press out the piston...thats it.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 11, 2010, 10:11:29 AM »
i seriously doubt you are going to be able to bend a connecting rod from hitting it with a hammer.... unless you are lou ferigno......

i would take it apart, and fix it properly..... trying to cut corners is what made me lose my last truck.... i hate to give away a 84 pickup because i couldn't deal with it, after i blew the engine from a rebuild that had corners cut
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 11, 2010, 10:28:45 AM »
i seriously doubt you are going to be able to bend a connecting rod from hitting it with a hammer.... unless you are lou ferigno......

i would take it apart, and fix it properly..... trying to cut corners is what made me lose my last truck.... i hate to give away a 84 pickup because i couldn't deal with it, after i blew the engine from a rebuild that had corners cut
hitting a rod ONE TIME with claw hammer could damage it  if hit in the wrong place :slap:

blackSR5 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 11, 2010, 12:15:06 PM »
That makes sense....I just want too sure.

Again being that it is on a GOKART I am just not too sure how strong the thing is. But we will see...

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 11, 2010, 01:14:45 PM »
If you press it out with a bolt you should be good.
You want a long bolt that will fit through the piston wrist pin and through a a socket or a piece of pipe. If you are replacing the piston don't even worry about messing the piston up. Tighten it up this will only apply pressure to the wrist pin and the rod end if that's what it's hanging up on

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 11, 2010, 01:18:52 PM »
http://www.hoganshogs.com/images/George's/180010E.jpg

Basically this tool but home made! A long bolt and a socket

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 11, 2010, 10:58:25 PM »
Surprised nobody has said it:  soak a wash cloth in boiling water and wrap the piston.  The wrist pin should come out much easier then.  Seriously.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 12, 2010, 09:25:09 AM »
yeah I was thinking bout telling him to hit it with a torch... lol From what I can gather this piston will be replaced right?

Ive never even HEARD of a boiling water dipped rag, sounds like an awesome idea PLUS ONE TURTLE POINT FOR YOU

yeah we had rod heaters for press fit piston pins when installing them...

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 12, 2010, 06:02:16 PM »
Sorry, Bog, I couldn't resist taking a point away.  We'll see if the rest can overpower me!  :therethere:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 12, 2010, 07:28:33 PM »
all good I gave you one too :P

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 12, 2010, 11:15:56 PM »
Trick I learned when rebuilding my first motorbike engine  ;)
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

blackSR5 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Nov 13, 2010, 12:03:09 PM »
That sounds like a plan...all worth at try!!