Author Topic: 22r Piston pin bushings (HELP)  (Read 8398 times)

92yota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -554
  • Male Posts: 104
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
22r Piston pin bushings (HELP)
« on: Oct 16, 2005, 12:25:30 AM »
Im rebuilding a 81 22r and I just got all my parts in the mail. Got the kit from johns foriegn auto. Im trying to figure out the piston pin bushings. The pin is to big to go into the rod bushings so I was thinking that you maybee have to hone them out but then I noticed that the piston pins can be pushed into the pistons and rotated around easily unlike the stock pistons that have a press fit. So my question is do I hone out the rod bushings so the pin fits in there by hand or do i press the pin into the rod bushing kinda like when you do a chevy 350 engine?  :confused:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: 22r Piston pin bushings (HELP)
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2005, 06:42:09 AM »
the bushing fits into the rod very snug,  i froze my bushings and let my rods sit on a steel deck in the HOT sun,  when i fitted them they slid right together,  just make sure the oil holes are lined up cause when they warm you wont be able to turn them,  the wrist pins should be able to install by hand pressure,  they are a "floating" pin design you might need to tap them slightly with a small mallet  but they should go together farily easy,  i always put one pin retainer in one side of the piston so it doesnt go all the way thru
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2005, 06:44:28 AM »
the pins should "float"  on the piston  not the rod,  so the rod will be a little more snug,  but not as snug as a chevy
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

92yota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2005, 11:53:48 AM »
I Got the bushings into the rod but the piston pins are a really tight fit to go into the bushing. So sould I press them in I do have a press but I wana make shure Im doing it the right way before I scew them up. Also just a thought why would it matter if the oil holes are lined up if the pin rotates in the piston and not the rod bushing? Something seems odd to me?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2005, 05:36:44 PM »
well the holes are there for a reason,  :dunno:  they should press in firm  but not like having a "press"  press

92yota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2005, 06:24:45 PM »
ok well i checked it out again and to get the pins into the bushing I would have to either sqeaze them in with a vice or use a press even with the pins ice cold. Is that how yours was?

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2005, 07:22:08 PM »
the pins should "float"  on the piston  not the rod,  so the rod will be a little more snug,  but not as snug as a chevy
huh? isn't it the other way around?  all the ones i've done have floated on the rod, you have to heat the piston up to install/remove the pins.

92yota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2005, 08:17:45 PM »
yeagh thats why I dont know what to do

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2005, 08:34:44 PM »
if you have oil holes in the top of the rod, then the pins should slip into the rod. (I think it's about an .001 cleaance fit)

now if there are bushings in the rods they have to be set in the rod and then honed to size.

if there are clips in the pin holes in the piston then it a floting pin piston.

my chev does not have clips in the piston, but my old dodge does.

so if you have floting pins, they should be able to move in the rod and piston. and the clips are there to keep them from making love to the cly wall.

a nonfloting pin is held by the rod, not the piston.

A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

92yota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2005, 09:02:40 PM »
you think a brake home would work to hone them out? I live on kauai and nobody can do this at there machin shop prity lame

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 2005, 09:06:09 PM »
no, it takes a pin-hone. and the big ol machine that runs it.  :-\\
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

bluetoy84

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -100
  • Male Posts: 300
  • Member since Jun '04
  • rice bouncer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 19, 2005, 04:23:39 AM »
you think a brake home would work to hone them out? I live on kauai and nobody can do this at there machin shop prity lame

Don't even think about doing that.  :nonono:  The wrist pin must fit the pin bushing within .001"or less or it will rattle like crazy. This is very important on a toyota engine. If your local machine shop can't do it , find one that can. If you put the wrist pin through the rod it should slip in by hand but have NO play. If you can wiggle the wrist pin it is too loose.

On a toyota engine the wrist pin should slide in the piston and rod by hand. It will be snug in the piston , but no need for a press.

Good luck with the rebuild  :biggthumpup:
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE..............need I say more?

92yota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 20, 2005, 03:21:03 PM »
thanks. none of the local machine shops had the machine to do it but my local community college that i went to for auto had one we never used it when i went there, anyway I used their machine it was prity easy to set up and use. Thanks for all the help.