Author Topic: Marlin Crawl Box Drain Plug - Found Roll Pin on Magnet  (Read 1452 times)

georgia 4Runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Marlin Crawl Box Drain Plug - Found Roll Pin on Magnet
« on: Mar 26, 2010, 08:16:26 PM »
I was replacing my drain plug on the crawler box as I have a dual case setup and the drain plug had a 3/16 dia by 1 inch long roll pin stuck to the magnet. Does anyone know what this pin is from or if it is an issue?

I have never found anything that big attached to a tranny or transfer case drain plug in my lifetime. I am thinking it is a bad thing. I just wanted to ask the brain trust as I really do not want to tear open the crawlbox or transfer case portion unless I really have to. To the best of my knowledge I am not having any 4wd issues, but the fluid was very sludgeea and dirty.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
1984 Yota Pickup

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Do you have twin sticks or factory shifter?  Cause the only thing I can think of that has a roll pin, is the shifter rails.  I might be wrong, since I haven't tore into a t-case yet.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Quick Draw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 250
  • Member since Feb '10
  • Her name is Doris.
    • View Profile
Well in theory, if it fell out you wouldn't be able to shift into low.  The crawl box only contains 1 roll pin.  Take your shift boot off, and then undo the 4 bolts holding on the shifter.  The first thing you will see is the shift block.  If it's sliding around on the shift rail then take that roll pin and tap it back into the hole.

I can't imagine how that would've fallen out.  They fit pretty tight...  If it slides back in too easily, then you need to come up with a new solution so it doesn't happen again.
'80 Pickup, 5VZ-FE engine, A340F transmission, Marlin gear drive adapter, Dual Ultimate transfer cases, 5.29 gears, Detroit rear/Lockrite front locker, 37" Goodyear MTRs, XRC8 winch, custom tube bed and armor

georgia 4Runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Thanks. The shifter pin makes sense. I will check it tomorrow. BTW I have the stock shifter for the Marlin crawler box and on for the back trasnfwer case and not the twin stick.

georgia 4Runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
I checked and the cross pins holding the shift rods in place were there. I verified it shifts fine as well. I must have had the roll pin as a loose part when I built it all up several years back and got lucky it did not cause internal damage as I can not think of any other item in the transfer case or crawl box that would have roll pins. I plan to drain/refill transfer cases and then give it test drive. If any one as any thoughts I would appreciate it. Thanks again.

Quick Draw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 250
  • Member since Feb '10
  • Her name is Doris.
    • View Profile
That is a wonder it didn't destroy the case...  I just rebuilt my 4.7 rear case last week because it grenaded.  See thread:  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=68783.msg829429#msg829429

Really strange....but you're luckier than I am!
'80 Pickup, 5VZ-FE engine, A340F transmission, Marlin gear drive adapter, Dual Ultimate transfer cases, 5.29 gears, Detroit rear/Lockrite front locker, 37" Goodyear MTRs, XRC8 winch, custom tube bed and armor