Author Topic: NEED HELP!!! I think I bent my front axle housing...can't get the axle to go in  (Read 5886 times)

Scarface06

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
I'm in the process of putting in some new Marfields.  Got the drivers side done and now moving to the passenger.  However, I can not get the inner axle to engage in the differental splines.  I've spent about 3 or more hours working on it. 

It seems that the axle shaft is just a little low.  I've tried prying up on it with a screw driver from the knuckle side but that didn't work.  It's not a problem of simply lining up the splines by rotating the driveshaft.  I'm really stuck here and not sure if I'm supposed to get another housing or what???

drayday55

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 299
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
if its hangin up on the bell, most likely it is bent min was, i got a new housing and it slid in

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
that suck's bro.   check out one of the new housings by diamond.   they might be a couple  $$$ tho.
i love oregon wheelin.

Scarface06 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
The inner axle will go in by itself and the burfield will go in by itself.  When I put the 2 together is when I have the problem of hanging up at the inner gear spline.....is there a way to repair it?

P-DiseToy24

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -230
  • Male Posts: 868
  • Member since Aug '09
  • DDNB!
    • View Profile
I hate bending housing so much work just to have the same thing you stared with.

YotaChris

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 47
  • Male Posts: 274
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
This happened to me when i was putting in my longs. What i did was wrapped a chain around both outsides of the axle as close to the knuckle as possible and hooked the chain back to itself. Then I placed a floor jack inbetween the drooping part of the chain and the housing and when I jacked the jack up it pulled down on the outsides of the axle and straightened it enough to get my long in.. I'll try drawing you a diagram since this probally isn't wxplained too clearly..  :gap:
I LOVE MY YOTAS!!

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
YotaChris, I understand how you bent yours back, but what is going to keep it from bending again?
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

YotaChris

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
here's a quick diagram. It's probably not the best or safest way but it works..  :gap:

YotaChris, I understand how you bent yours back, but what is going to keep it from bending again?
lol that's a good question! Well, once you have it straightened there are a few ways to gusset the knuckles and axle. I personally was lazy and just left mine un gusseted and haven't had any problems yet but I probably will be gusseting it soon..  :biggthumpup:
I LOVE MY YOTAS!!

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
i love oregon wheelin.

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I have Marlin's knuckle ball gusset and top gusset on mine so hopefully mine won't end up bending  :crossed:

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
get it staighten out and put the proper armor on it.  seems to me you already need it. :therethere:
i love oregon wheelin.

Scarface06 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
I got it figured out....have you ever been so dumb about something that you need to just stand there while somebody punches you in the face....As of right now that's me.  I don't know how it happened, but the very ends of the splines (about 1/32, and only half way around) got messed up.  It would had to have happened in the axle before I pulled them out.  When I had them out I was very careful not to drop or beat them on anything.  With that problem being so small it was just enough to keep the splines from engaging.

Put in a different inside axle, no problems....

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Cool, sure beats replacing the housing.  How did you get it out of the diff to begin with?

YotaChris

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Nice! Glad to hear you've got it all figured out!  :beerchug:
I LOVE MY YOTAS!!

Scarface06 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
Cool, sure beats replacing the housing.  How did you get it out of the diff to begin with?
It just pulled right out like it should

potter85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 257
  • Member since May '09
  • complete disregard for sheet metal.....
    • View Profile
i had the same problem. all i did was took a triangular file and opened the splines on just the very end of the shaft and it slid right on in
3rz in the making

looking for 38s

2 tundra 4.7l v8 soon to be sas'ed

Scarface06 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
I think it would be a good idea to go ahead and add the ball gusset's.  Will I have to take the knuckles off to do this.  I've already go them on and ready to mount the wheels and I won't be taking back apart any time soon just to do it.  I would be consered about messing up the wipers and gasket.

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
no man you don't they just glue on to the out side of the axle and the ball with a little wood glue.  :headscratch: :screwy:
i love oregon wheelin.

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
I think it would be a good idea to go ahead and add the ball gusset's.  Will I have to take the knuckles off to do this.  I've already go them on and ready to mount the wheels and I won't be taking back apart any time soon just to do it.  I would be consered about messing up the wipers and gasket.

the felt and rubber ring should be takin off, but you could probable do it with them on.
the inner seal should probable come off too, but its your call.
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

82juguete

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
here's a quick diagram. It's probably not the best or safest way but it works..  :gap:

lol that's a good question! Well, once you have it straightened there are a few ways to gusset the knuckles and axle. I personally was lazy and just left mine un gusseted and haven't had any problems yet but I probably will be gusseting it soon..  :biggthumpup:

I fixed my old axle this way, slowly heated the bent area as i pumped the jack.  It is sketchy as hell but it did the trick.  I actually bent it a tiny bit past straight, welded knuckle ball gussets and some bracing on it while it was still under stress, and let the whole thing cool slowly while still chained up.  After, both shafts slid right in.  Time will tell if it stays straight but im hopeful