Poll

Which do you prefer?

Glasses
Contacts

Author Topic: Glasses vs. Contacts  (Read 6558 times)

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Glasses vs. Contacts
« on: Dec 31, 2008, 10:35:58 PM »
Ok, so after the first of the year eye insurance is going to roll around and I can either get new frames and lenses or switch to contacts. I have never had contacts before. Are there any opinions out there one way or the other? I like glasses because i do not have to poke my eye and they offer some protection from flying debris. Any opinions out there? Thanks!

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Glasses vs. Contacts
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2008, 11:07:48 PM »
I'm a glasses guy and my wife wears both contacts & glasses.  She is planning to have PRK (laser surgery in Feb) however.  My dad is actually an eye doctor so I have a little insight on this subject.  Your eye doctor should be able to get you some trial lenses fairly cheaply that you could try out and see what you think.  I believe it really just comes down to getting used to wearing the contacts (putting them in and taking them out), but you'll always need glasses as a back up or to give your eyes a break unless you can function normally without correction.

My sister tried contacts, but was never successful because they always suctioned to her eye and would even leave a red ring on her eye.  At first she wanted the with the color contact first came out so my dad let her "play" with them without success.  I have never had any interest personally.  Generally, people with really poor vision can get a better correction with a contact lens, it has something to do with astigmatism or something like that.

I say spend a few bucks and try a couple of pairs out, the disposable contacts are good for about a month and the doc might be able to get you a couple free pairs.

:twocents: 
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2009, 07:58:08 AM »
I have worn contacts for 25 years,  I won't wear anything else, except when they come out I wear glasses.  Good thing about contacts, is that you can wear safety glasses over them easily.  I don't know about you but my glasses are around $700, thats $200 after insurance.  I don't like to use my glasses to protect against flying debris, for fear of scratches.  I am a mechanic, fabricator for a living so I am always around flying debris.  My contacts are cheap, and I hardly know they are there.  Those safety glasses that fit over your prescription glasses are bulky and arn't great under my welding hood.

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Male Posts: 792
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2009, 08:25:28 AM »

I've been thinking about contacts for a while..It was going to be a first step before the surgery to see how I adapted.  I have worn glass for a long time and I would still have to wear protective lens in bright light  8) ( not a problem now I could get back into the mountaineer frames I had once in the past).

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2009, 09:05:59 AM »
I have worn contacts for 25 years,  I won't wear anything else, except when they come out I wear glasses.  Good thing about contacts, is that you can wear safety glasses over them easily.  I don't know about you but my glasses are around $700, thats $200 after insurance.  I don't like to use my glasses to protect against flying debris, for fear of scratches.  I am a mechanic, fabricator for a living so I am always around flying debris.  My contacts are cheap, and I hardly know they are there.  Those safety glasses that fit over your prescription glasses are bulky and arn't great under my welding hood.

Excellent points!  I'm guessing that you can't function very well without wearing glasses or contacts?  This makes a big difference I suspect because I simply would remove my glasses to wear eye protection.

Since my dad is an eye doctor and has connections I have never had to worry about cost since he can get everything at cost.  Having said that, I had my last pair of frames for well over 5 years and only needed to change the lenses a couple of times.  My current frames are starting their second year.  Now that I wear them all the time I don't anticipate them lasting as long.

I was able to get my wife to pair of glasses and a years worth of contacts the last time we ordered and it total was under $300.  I know some lenses are much more expensive than others and certainly frames vary in price.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2009, 09:13:13 AM »
I am nearsited, and  I can somewhat function with eye glasses/contacts.  I wouldn't want to drive, or do what I do without them though  (alot of people might die)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2009, 09:22:01 AM »
My dad had contacts for a while, and he went back to glasses for the convenience.  Granted, he had the contacts that had to be stored in a fluid, and he had all the bottles of fluid and what not in the fridge.  He just liked the versatility of being able to take his glasses off and put them on, without a bunch of hassle.  Another shortcoming my dad hated was he'd get stuff in his eye, and it seemed like it worked itself under the contact right away. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2009, 09:34:15 AM »
My dad had contacts for a while, and he went back to glasses for the convenience.  Granted, he had the contacts that had to be stored in a fluid, and he had all the bottles of fluid and what not in the fridge.  He just liked the versatility of being able to take his glasses off and put them on, without a bunch of hassle.  Another shortcoming my dad hated was he'd get stuff in his eye, and it seemed like it worked itself under the contact right away. 

They told me that because I have worn glasses for so long it would be hard not having something in front of my eye to protect them.  I would have to remember that i don't have lens protecting my eye, and then there is the issue of my light sensitive eyes.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2009, 01:05:29 PM »
They told me that because I have worn glasses for so long it would be hard not having something in front of my eye to protect them. 

Sunglasses  :thumbs:  I had to start wearing glasses in the 7th grade and always hated them.  A big part of that was because I was such an avid outdoorsman.  Glasses get water and mud spotted easily, and fog up super easy inside motorcycle goggles, not to mention they mess with your depth perception and make things appear smaller if you're nearsighted.  I switched to contacts several years ago and will NEVER go back, unless something comes up medically to force me. 

Things now appear to be the proper size (I had to go look at a quart bottle of oil to get my bearings when I got contacts), my contacts don't fog up, and if they're bugging me I can just take them out.  And trust me, you're not "poking" your eye, you barely even touch it if you even do.  If done right, the contact will kinda pull off your finger onto your eye.  Oh, and I got some small chunks of paint flakes in one yesterday at work, went in the bathroom and was able to remove the paint flake from my contact lense without removing it, and I had nitrile gloves on too!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2009, 01:07:55 PM »
Also, one downside to wearing glasses all the time is it made my eyes more sensetive to light, so I pretty much need to wear sunglasses most the time.  I have some dark shades and some lighter ones, and I often wear the lighter ones on rainy days or if I go out toward dusk.  It helps immensely to buy some good quality shades.  I personally really like the arnette catfish.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2009, 01:28:31 PM »
Also, one downside to wearing glasses all the time is it made my eyes more sensetive to light, so I pretty much need to wear sunglasses most the time.  I have some dark shades and some lighter ones, and I often wear the lighter ones on rainy days or if I go out toward dusk.  It helps immensely to buy some good quality shades.  I personally really like the arnette catfish.

I see a few KHZ into the Ultra-Violet, makes a high UV day like welding with no shield almost..  My lens have a little something "special" but I can get them in a normal sunglass len, I would just have to maybe buy them from a Optical shop.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2009, 02:53:00 PM »
Well thanks for all the replies guys. I have had glasses since seventh grade and I have never really had a problem with them. I like them just fine. The fogging issue is rather major though because I ride dirtbikes and snowmobiles so I have had to buy pretty expensive OTG goggles that allow a lot of venting to occur, and they only work if I am moving. Sitting still the glasses still fog up quite badly. That is probably the only downside I have ever really noticed with glasses. I will see about getting some trial lenses to see how I like contacts. I cannot go without some correction because my vision is too impaired. I can't see stuff far away, whatever that one is. But anyways I will try to get a trial set of contacts to test them out.

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2009, 03:08:59 PM »
I used to be on skis 8 hours a day in the winter, and had to deal with harsh winter envronments.  I wore goggles all the time so contacts were a godsend.

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2009, 07:22:36 PM »
Ive had glasses since 3rd grade and its always kinda sucked. I had contacts in 8th grade fro awhile and ran out, and recently got more contacts and have switched nearly fulltiem to contacts because it allows me to wear a normal snowboarding goggle and i dont have my glasses fogging up under my goggles anymore.

The only problems i have with contacts is that towards the end of the night they start to kinda bug me, it feels like they sort of "dry out". So i remover them adn put my glasses on for the rest of the night. not a big deal otherwise. Definitely worth trying out contacts. :twocents:
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2009, 12:22:15 PM »
Get both.  Contacts shouldn't be wornt 24/7, you'll need glasses when you take them out.   

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2009, 02:00:37 PM »
The contacts I have, accuvue oasys, can be worn for several days without taking them out.  I usually make the 2 week contacts last a few months, and have made one pair last a year before. 
RIP KYOTA

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2009, 07:45:58 PM »
The contacts I have, accuvue oasys, can be worn for several days without taking them out.  I usually make the 2 week contacts last a few months, and have made one pair last a year before. 

:spank:

MC387

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2009, 07:51:10 PM »
I only have contacts, but i will be getting some glasses soon.  For those emergency situations.  Like if someone breaks in at night and I need to aim well.  But I love my contacts the rest of the time.  Even at work (as a mechanic) I rarely have any problems.  No more than the normal people anyway.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2009, 07:13:25 PM »
Contacts all the way!!  :yesnod:  I've had glasses for 20 years then I got contacts and I love them.  Once you get comfortable with them, its real easy to put them in or take them out.  Just have to remember to take them out.  I've known several people that have screwed up their eyes, because they are too lazy to take them out.  Yes there are some that can be left in for a month at a time, but you are talking about your vision, and your eyes need to breathe!  Yeah, my eyes get a little tweaky at the end of the day, but just take them out.  I've got the accuvue 2, and they are a 2 week disposable lens, but you can tell when to toss them.  I'll get 3 to 5 weeks out of a pair. 

I've thought about the Lasik surgery, but most of the people I know who has had it done, is back to wearing glasses, so why spend the $ to get it done.  When there is a really good chance that you will be wearing glasses again.

Just go do it, the doctor will test your eyes to see if you can wear them first, and then give you a trial pair. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2009, 10:48:09 PM »
I've thought about the Lasik surgery, but most of the people I know who has had it done, is back to wearing glasses, so why spend the $ to get it done.  When there is a really good chance that you will be wearing glasses again. 

There isn't really a connection between Laser Eye Surgery (LASIK or PRK) and a need to wear glasses.  You eye has the ability to focus on things from up close to the horizon.  As we get older the eye loses some of its ability to focus at different distances.  This is why older people often end up with bifocals or have reading glasses.  If a person has laser surgery done before their eyes reach this point they shouldn't need glasses.

As I said before, my dad is an eye doctor, my grandpa was also an eye doctor, and my wife is planning to have PRK this year so I've had the opportunity to learn about laser eye surgery and have paid more attention to eyes than the average person my whole life.

mudguts

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1114
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Meat of the Gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 04, 2009, 07:35:57 PM »
I had Lasik in mid January. After wearing glasses for over 25 years, it is literally an eye opening experience. My last vision check was 20-15. I know there is little known about the long term effects of Lasik, but so far, it's AWESOME.
:nerv:                                                                                               :turtle: I love T.I.T.S. :turtle:

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 04, 2009, 08:19:03 PM »
mrsblackdiamond had PRK this morning and is now on the road to recovery.

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2009, 11:05:24 AM »
I always wear contacts. I only wear my glasses to give my eyes a brake after a long day of working on my truck and usually welding since my eyes drie out easy. But i hate doing stuff with glasses since they fall of my face and i cant weasr sunglasses with them.

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2009, 06:07:17 PM »
Contacts all the way!!  :yesnod:  I've had glasses for 20 years then I got contacts and I love them.  Once you get comfortable with them, its real easy to put them in or take them out.  Just have to remember to take them out.  I've known several people that have screwed up their eyes, because they are too lazy to take them out.  Yes there are some that can be left in for a month at a time, but you are talking about your vision, and your eyes need to breathe!  Yeah, my eyes get a little tweaky at the end of the day, but just take them out.  I've got the accuvue 2, and they are a 2 week disposable lens, but you can tell when to toss them.  I'll get 3 to 5 weeks out of a pair. 

Just go do it, the doctor will test your eyes to see if you can wear them first, and then give you a trial pair. 

x10

BikerTrash

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 207
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2009, 07:00:13 PM »
I personaly made the decision to go back to glasses for a couple reasons.

1:Much easier, rather than haivng to clean, store, and use the enzyme cleaner on them, I just whipe my glasses clean and put them on in the morning.

2: No matter how clean I kept them they would iritate my eyes (I still put up with them for 2 years).

3: In my current line of work, the glasses are safer. I work around alot of chemicals, and even with safety frames with side shields and a face shield I have managed to get sprayed in the face with a mild acid, if I had had contacts on it could have gotten trapped between my eye any the lense (have heard of it happening, never actually seen it. that is still enough of a deterent for me.).
There is a fine line between clever and stupid, I just wish I knew when I crossed it.

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4
(please note, listed in order of preference)

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Mar 23, 2009, 04:30:43 PM »
so I have had a trial set of contacts for about a week now. things I notice:

1. got insert time from 2 hours to 10 minutes. I still suck at it

2. inserting one backwards sucks

3. getting anything in there with them sucks

4. I do like not having to wear glasses all the time

5. contacts are somewhat of a PITA compared to glasses

6. Dont try to remove/install when very sleepy. does not work well

7. sunglasses and safety glasses are a necessity now

thats about all i can think of right now

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Mar 23, 2009, 06:16:03 PM »
:haha:  you'll get it down, takes me a couple seconds a side to install. 
RIP KYOTA

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 924
  • Female Posts: 415
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Mar 26, 2009, 12:14:17 PM »
haha....yeah, sometimes I'll lose one sitting here at my desk (if I'm rubbing my eye too much) and anymore I just stick it back in my eye without even looking in a mirror.  It definitely becomes second nature.

I absolutely hate wearing glasses.  I've had glasses since 2nd grade and finally got contacts when I was....Oh I don't know....13ish?  Never gone back.  I only wear my glasses now when I feel like giving my eyes a break between pairs of disposable contacts.  And I rarely to never wear my glasses out of the house anymore, mostly because my eyes are so used to my contacts now that when I put my glasses on it feels like I'm looking in one of those fun-house mirrors.  Everything is very distorted and it makes me dizzy.

I wear Acuvue Advance so they let your eyes breathe pretty well anyway.  They're disposables, but I wear them for a good month or so and then change them to a new pair.
RIP Kyle, we love and miss you man.  :smooch:
thanks for the smooch I miss you too !  :yesnod: