Author Topic: How do you get to the horn contacts inside the steering wheel?  (Read 3727 times)

mjos

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I want to clean and lube the horn buttons and the contact ring on the steering wheel.  How do I get to them?

1980 Truck.  Stock 3spoke steering wheel.
05' 4R V8 Sport, Toytec Ultimate 3", 33's, Sliders

myyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 120
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
You will need to remove the steering wheel to do it.
86 4Runner
Solid Axle Swap, 5'' Of Lift, 37x12.50-15 MTR Tires, 5 Speed Manual Swap, Inchworm Duel Cases With 5.7 Gears, 63'' Chevy Springs In The Rear, 5''Trail Gear Springs In Front, Marlin Crawler Third Members, 4.88 Gears With A Detroit In The Rear, High Pinion Front With 4.88 Gears and an ARB, Downey Header, Optima Battery, Trail Gear Sliders.

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
I think that front cover in the center pulls off...but I seem to remember it taking a bit of effort.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

cheap sunglasses

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 59
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Soon to be shorter and slower :)
    • View Profile
I have a 2 spoke wheel in my 82 but the cover is held on by 2 screws on the back. Maybe check that.
'82 on 35's, not much else.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
never seen a 3 spoke wheel  :eek:   but  my 2 spoke has the screws on the back side to get to the horn contacts,  then  pull the wheel off to get to the ring
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
Remove the horn button.

Unbolt the 19mm nut.

Using a sharp scribe, mark the wheel so it can be reinstalled in the same location.

Using a large center punch and a hammer, get both of your knees against the back of the steering wheel so as to push against the back of the wheel on the left and right side.
With a good smack, the wheel should pop right off.
The horn ring and contact pin will be accesable and can be greased.

The contact pin kit is avaiable from the dealer, however, the contact ring on the rear of the steering wheel can be extended to gain additional service by removing the three retainer screws and spacing the ring away from the steering wheel. This will in turn preload the contact pin and the horn will once again work.
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
never seen a 3 spoke wheel  :eek:   but  my 2 spoke has the screws on the back side to get to the horn contacts,  then  pull the wheel off to get to the ring

Come on Glen, SR5

mjos [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Remove the horn button.

Unbolt the 19mm nut.

Using a sharp scribe, mark the wheel so it can be reinstalled in the same location.

Using a large center punch and a hammer, get both of your knees against the back of the steering wheel so as to push against the back of the wheel on the left and right side.

The contact pin kit is avaiable from the dealer, however, the contact ring on the rear of the steering wheel can be extended to gain additional service by removing the three retainer screws and spacing the ring away from the steering wheel. This will in turn preload the contact pin and the horn will once again work.

Thanks Marlin.  My steering wheel looks like the one above.  Was it and the Tach only part of the SR5 package in 1980?

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
Yes, I beleive that the tach and 3 spoke wheel were part of the "SR5" package.

However, in the early years, 79 to 80, I have seen loaded SR5 trucks including stripes on the doors but missing a/c.

It appears that the SR5 had not yet developed into a complete package.

My 80 hilux long bed had only p/s, and a/c.
I added the wood grain dash, 3 spoke wheel with tilt, tach dash, oil and voltage guages, and bucket seats.
« Last Edit: Dec 25, 2006, 11:21:07 PM by Marlin »
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
I was recently looking at an 82 SR5 for sale, it had bucket seats, PS AC wing windows SR5 stripes but no tach. My old 79 2wd SR5 from high school was the same way, all the SR5 stuff but no tach. I think Toyota had "chefs surprise" on Fridays where they'd throw a truck together with whatever they had left over for the week  :talkingn:

mjos [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Got it
Remove the horn button.

Unbolt the 19mm nut.

Got it working again.  Spaced out the ring with washers and cleaned and lubed the contacts.  All is well now.  Thanks again!

cheap sunglasses

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
I gotta try spacing my contact ring out, my horn dont work no more.

BTW Kyota that avatar is classic  :rofl2:

turtle jim

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
You can also slip an empty .22 short cartridge over the spring loaded contact pin.

cheap sunglasses

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
Hmm fresh out of those..
although there is a 22 in my dads closet  :think: :hammerhead: