Author Topic: 3RZ INTO 85 4RUNNER ?'s  (Read 22796 times)

Kapril2005

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
Re: 3RZ INTO 85 4RUNNER ?'s
« Reply #90 on: Nov 07, 2008, 02:52:20 PM »
im putting in a 2000 3rz into my 81 useing the taco harness.  i was wondering why do i need to hook up to the reverse light and how do you install the tach resistor?

ohioyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 212
  • Member since May '06
  • GIV-R-HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Nov 10, 2008, 02:45:27 PM »
U need to hook up the reverse light so your lights turn on when you go in reverse, if you dont like seeing whats behind you when your going backwards then dont hook it up.

As for the tach resistor i think there is a write up somewhere on this forum do a search

ohioyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '06
  • GIV-R-HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Nov 12, 2008, 10:50:48 AM »
I had to drill a seperate hole in firewall for the engine harness to allow it to reach the ECU in the glove box.

NOTE: this requires removal of the glove box dash pad and the heaterbox

ohioyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '06
  • GIV-R-HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Nov 12, 2008, 10:58:37 AM »
I cut and spliced the 2 wires ORS harness labeled "to green/white wire" and "to green/blue wire" into the V connector.

Now I did run into a problem here while running the ORS harness wires through the fire wall the wire loom with the label came off of both wires. As both wires in the harness are black i had to take a 50/50 guess at wich was wich. So if any one knows how to discern the 2 let me know.

ohioyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '06
  • GIV-R-HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Nov 19, 2008, 11:22:40 AM »
Finnally scraped enough extra cash to get a starter and some NGK's, and insatlled them last week.

ohioyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '06
  • GIV-R-HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Nov 19, 2008, 11:23:41 AM »
I also started disecting the battery harness.

wslytoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 308
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Nov 23, 2008, 08:36:41 PM »
I also started disecting the battery harness.

anymore updates? I got my mounts cut out and had to order new mounts from Dave's... I moved them 1.5" back, for a total of 18.5" from the core support directly above the front rail. I test fitted my old radiator & the Hayden fan and it clears perfectly! Now I've just gotta get everything else hooked back up.

ohioyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '06
  • GIV-R-HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Nov 24, 2008, 04:43:54 PM »
Yea i got the battery harness done. Ill post pics on weds.

When i bought the motor i didnt have extra cash to get the assecories with it and the truck i got it out of was involved in a rollover, so the fan was smashed up pretty bad. So i have an alternator, powersteering pump, belts, and fan on order should get them wednesday :thumbs: I still need the back coil pack, plug wires, a charcoal canister,a mass air flow sensor and assembly, a few vsv's that are pretty smashed up, and stuff for my exhuast (i.e. cat, flex pipe, and oxygen sensor)

So im pretty far off just because of cash (carsales are way down)

Congrats on the new mounts and getting the clearance, you'll probably be done before me.  :beerchug:

wslytoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Nov 24, 2008, 07:48:24 PM »
Yea i got the battery harness done. Ill post pics on weds.

When i bought the motor i didnt have extra cash to get the assecories with it and the truck i got it out of was involved in a rollover, so the fan was smashed up pretty bad. So i have an alternator, powersteering pump, belts, and fan on order should get them wednesday :thumbs: I still need the back coil pack, plug wires, a charcoal canister,a mass air flow sensor and assembly, a few vsv's that are pretty smashed up, and stuff for my exhuast (i.e. cat, flex pipe, and oxygen sensor)

So im pretty far off just because of cash (carsales are way down)

Congrats on the new mounts and getting the clearance, you'll probably be done before me.  :beerchug:

ha, no I won't be done before you. I'm right where you are my friend, we're pretty much neck and neck lol! I still gotta figure out what in hades I'm gonna do about the cross member b/c the R150 does NOT line up w/ the mount, so that blows. I've still gotta get a new radiator(old one is just nasty, there's no way I'm perfectly good coolant in that thing and hooking it to a perfectly good engine), gotta figure out something about the exhaust. I have no O2 sensors either, gotta route the exhaust & hook up all the vacuum lines(that'll be a stupid amount of fun, but not really). Man, I still gotta ton of stuff to do. Hopefully I'll get it all done sometime between now and next summer lol!

wslytoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: Dec 16, 2008, 01:56:27 PM »
Any updates? I'm in the process of making all of my electrical connections... Where did you put the bulk of the wiring harness? The thicker part of the harness doesn't tuck just anywhere you want it to. I got my engine harness routed through the firewall much like yours, but the adapter harness is a different story. Thanks, Wes

davidr34

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 121
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Dec 17, 2008, 09:39:38 AM »
I put all mine under the dash and the quarter panel it worked out really nice.

wslytoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Dec 17, 2008, 10:30:52 AM »
I put all mine under the dash and the quarter panel it worked out really nice.

10-4, I got it shoved up in the dash now :D. I love zipties.

stevesyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 67
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Dec 22, 2008, 06:05:50 AM »
Where are you at I'm in southern California i might be interested in your 22re and how much do you want for it.
84 Toyota Pickup SR5

wslytoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Feb 12, 2009, 09:09:43 AM »
any updates on the starter/alternator harness??? I'm kinda stuck at that. What is everyone doing w/ this plug?

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Feb 12, 2009, 01:36:55 PM »
I plugged it in... there is a little alternator harness that plugs into it and goes to the alternator....
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

wslytoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Feb 12, 2009, 02:20:52 PM »
I plugged it in... there is a little alternator harness that plugs into it and goes to the alternator....

I've got the end plugged into the alternator. Where does this plug go? I'm using the ORS swap harness and the 85' fuse box.

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Feb 12, 2009, 05:31:54 PM »
I've got the end plugged into the alternator. Where does this plug go? I'm using the ORS swap harness and the 85' fuse box.
oh I have no idea where it goes on the ors harness I have never used their harness... I just got the 2 plugs you need at the wrecking yard for $5 and wired it up..... on my application that plug goes inside the cab and connects to starter sense, chg. 12v constant, chg 12v ignition power......
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD

wslytoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Feb 12, 2009, 07:21:30 PM »
oh I have no idea where it goes on the ors harness I have never used their harness... I just got the 2 plugs you need at the wrecking yard for $5 and wired it up..... on my application that plug goes inside the cab and connects to starter sense, chg. 12v constant, chg 12v ignition power......

I was looking at your write up and it looked like in one pic that it plugs up to the 2RZ fuse box that you used??? Is that not correct?

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: Feb 13, 2009, 05:45:48 AM »
I used the my 87 alternator with a 95 t100 pulley on my 2002 3rz. That way i wasnt cutting and splicing alternator harness's together. Then i cut the plug of the starter and soldered it to the wire in the ORS kit labeled starter trigger wire. Using the 87 alternator allowed me to just plug everthing in. Plus they are the same amp alterantors. And you can buy the t100 alternator pulley from toyota for like $23. Or if you want you can use a 3.0 v6 alternator pulley but it is only 4 rib as opposed to the t100 which is 5 rib. Hope my reply want too confusing. :beerchug: :biggthumpup:

wslytoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Feb 13, 2009, 06:23:07 AM »
I used the my 87 alternator with a 95 t100 pulley on my 2002 3rz. That way i wasnt cutting and splicing alternator harness's together. Then i cut the plug of the starter and soldered it to the wire in the ORS kit labeled starter trigger wire. Using the 87 alternator allowed me to just plug everthing in. Plus they are the same amp alterantors. And you can buy the t100 alternator pulley from toyota for like $23. Or if you want you can use a 3.0 v6 alternator pulley but it is only 4 rib as opposed to the t100 which is 5 rib. Hope my reply want too confusing. :beerchug: :biggthumpup:

I've got this one licked. I figured out the 85' connection that I'm supposed to splice into. Thanks for the help.

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Feb 22, 2009, 11:08:23 AM »
I was looking at your write up and it looked like in one pic that it plugs up to the 2RZ fuse box that you used??? Is that not correct?
I didnt use the 2rz fuse box I just used a buss 6 circuit universal fuse panel with some bosch relay's for the fuel pump, EFI relay, starter relay and such.... I have a tacoma fuse box for it but there was too much crap in there that I didnt need or therefore want under the hood... at least you got it all figured out! you will love the power man!

www.choptechfab.com

CHECK THE BUILD

wslytoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Feb 23, 2009, 06:06:46 AM »
I didnt use the 2rz fuse box I just used a buss 6 circuit universal fuse panel with some bosch relay's for the fuel pump, EFI relay, starter relay and such.... I have a tacoma fuse box for it but there was too much crap in there that I didnt need or therefore want under the hood... at least you got it all figured out! you will love the power man!

Yeah, I loved the 3RZ in my 96' Tacoma. It was no powerhouse, but it was peppy as hell w/ 32's and 4.56's w/ a 5spd.

rockwalker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 280
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Feb 23, 2009, 09:59:32 AM »
how many relays did your harness came with?  Mine only has one for fuel pump and i think there should be one for EFI.   can't get my 85runner to fires up, no spark and no fuel it has a 3rz and a ors harness.  Ors has no # to talk to them and i don't know if it is the harness. 
85 runner with 3RZ  linked  locked  and ready  2rock
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=40729.0

87 tintop..........................................................

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Feb 23, 2009, 10:17:02 AM »
how many relays did your harness came with?  Mine only has one for fuel pump and i think there should be one for EFI.   can't get my 85runner to fires up, no spark and no fuel it has a 3rz and a ors harness.  Ors has no # to talk to them and i don't know if it is the harness. 

seriously what the hell, these two harnesses should be exactly the same.  99 motor into 85 runner.  why does ohioyota have 2 relays and you only have one?  someone reply to this, something fishy is going on

wslytoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Feb 23, 2009, 11:04:06 AM »
how many relays did your harness came with?  Mine only has one for fuel pump and i think there should be one for EFI.   can't get my 85runner to fires up, no spark and no fuel it has a 3rz and a ors harness.  Ors has no # to talk to them and i don't know if it is the harness. 
For my 96' 3RZ I've got 2 relays.

Ramrod

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Feb 23, 2009, 11:55:13 AM »
so what did ors just accidentally leave out an entire section of the harness? might as well have, they are gone now.  No way to get ahold of them

wslytoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Feb 23, 2009, 12:12:07 PM »

You might try to reach out to Mike Lakasky(I think that's his lastname) via google... I know there are a few ppl on pirate that know who he is. Maybe he can make it right.

Ramrod

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: Feb 23, 2009, 03:12:09 PM »
google didnt come up with anything, and the ORS profile on pirate hasnt had any activity since DEC

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Feb 23, 2009, 06:33:52 PM »
I built my harness and put a relay wherever I wanted one :yupyup: I just like relays for anything remotely hi-amp.... flopp spending $700 on an ORS harness in the first place

www.choptechfab.com

CHECK THE BUILD