Author Topic: Marlin's daughter & son-in-law were involved in a serious car accident, Friday  (Read 16521 times)

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Wow, I'm sorry I'm just getting to this.  I'm so glad to hear that you and your husband are okay, Chrystal.  With all the bad that's been going on over the past years on here, it's nice to hear a story with a happy ending, even if you're still recovering.  I'm sad to hear about the other driver, and his family will be in my prayers.  I'm praying that you two have a speedy recovery and can be back on the trail in no time :driving:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
After researching about airbags we are pretty confident that it should have deployed.
I had a similar (but different) situation happen to me.
I was going NB on 280 about 70mph when traffic stopped, I stopped, the Honda Civic HB behind me never touched the brakes. He was absolutely pissed! He hit me (at dead stop with the brake on) doing 70mph pushing my Dodge Dakota on 35's forward about 35 feet. His air bag never went off. Our bumpers never made contact. My trailer hitch hit his intake manifold, my bumper hit his windshield. Luckily the guy was about 6'6" and around 250lbs (weight lifter) otherwise he would have been toast. He pushed his car uphill to the center divide by himself, we offered help, but he was too mad that the airbag didn't go off and did it alone. My airbag did not deploy either.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
You never know, the airbag not deploying *could have* saved your life.  With something like this - it could be one of those "could have been worse" moments.  Who knows :dunno:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
We have hired an attorney. After researching about airbags we are pretty confident that it should have deployed.
I think having an attorney is a good idea INCASE the guys family decides to sue you guys. Regarding the air bag, of course I only have the crappy pictures to go from, but you guys got hit from the drivers corner and the drivers side air bag did go off. Maybe both air bags do not deploy unless it is a square headon hit? Also, remember your car was used, right? It is possible the previous owner tampered with it in the past and it is disabled. Just a thought!! I would look into that first before I started blaming Honda.. :twocents: :twocents: :twocents:

Quote from: CrawlerChick
According to the cops he had been at work and starting feeling really bad so he decided to drive home. Sooooo sad!!!!
Wow, out of all of this I would have to say this is the sadest part by far. Poor guy.. :down:

Ha, ha, ha that is funny!! Those were the days.  :greengrin:
So, these days aren't? :tease:

His air bag never went off. Our bumpers never made contact.

Remember a sudden negative acceleration is required to set off the air bag(s). Maybe because your trailer hitch made use of his Honda as a crumple zone prevented the needed sudden impact for his air bags to go off.

When I read your story Mini it immediately made me think about my truck. There have been times when slowing for a red light some squirrel in a car behind me slams on his brakes (what, he couldn't see my truck? yeah right) and he goes so close to me that I can't see his face in my rear view mirror!! I have always wondered what would happen. My bumper is up far too high, most small car's bumper would directly contact my MTRs before my rear spring shackles get a chance to crumple their hood far enough to hit anything solid. I think the back end of my truck would get bucked hard into the air and the other car would end up completely under my rear axle. Then I could just shift into double low and Monster truck over him in reverse hahahahaha nah j/k but I've always wondered what that would be like. Crazy you had this experience!

You never know, the airbag not deploying *could have* saved your life.  With something like this - it could be one of those "could have been worse" moments.  Who knows :dunno:

Very good point Found Fondling Cows :thumbs: :thumbs:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
Wow!  :yikes:  My thoughts are with Marlin's family right now. I know you guys are thoroughly thankful for the outcome on your end as well as with unselfish thought and prayer for the other driver's family. It's good to hear that you guys did not suffer any life threatening injuries from this event and that your recoveries should be quick.

Seeing those pictures is definitely a heart stopper thinking that it could have been far worse for the two of you.  Luckily, the story was told different than what might be expected, in what could have been a life altering situation for the two of you.  :thumbs:

Again, glad to hear you are doing well, considering the circumstances.  :angel:

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Chrystal,  if he lost conciousness he obviously  has a "traumatic brain Injury"  watch him,  if the headaches get worse he MUST get help to reduce the swelling,  i didnt and my brain swelled and pushed my brain stem down causing a "Arnold Chiari malformation" or "brain stem herniation"

as for yourself,  i know its going to hurt but you have to force yourself not to breath shallow as this can lead to pneumonia

God Bless

Glen
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
According to the cops he had been at work and starting feeling really bad so he decided to drive home. Sooooo sad!!!!
Wow, out of all of this I would have to say this is the sadest part by far. Poor guy.. :down:

I want to take this opportunity to remind everyone to always wear your seat belts!!

This guy was just going home because he was tired and not feeling well. He would have lived if he had his belt on. Chrystal, Tyler, don't you ever blame yourselves for this! It was HIS lack of responsibility for his life!!!

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Chrystal, Tyler, don't you ever blame yourselves for this! It was HIS lack of responsibility for his life!!!
:werd:

You can't sit there and dwell on all the "woulda, coulda, shoulda.... :blah: :blah: :blah:"  Because that doesn't help or change anything. I know it's tough not to have those thoughts...but....you have bigger things to concern yourselves with right now. Like getting better, for one. And getting your selves situated for any possible things to deal with as a direct result of this incident (legal maters and what not...). So take care of each other and stay focused on what is important right now.  :thumbs:

MT4Runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 108
  • Member since Nov '06
  • FToy 086
    • View Profile
Just saw this.

Very, very glad you are both OK!!  I hope Tyler's headaches go away soon and that your breathing returns to normal, as well!!

I'll say a prayer for the other driver's family.  :(

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
I also gotta say, all my friends who have been in accidents (and survived, thank God) have not been able to avoid physical therapy.  Chrystal, I'd recommend you and your hubby look into that early rather than waiting so long that it doesn't do much good. 

All the best!

CLC

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I just want to thank everyone for their prayers for Chrystal & Tyler. They are okay, but are very, very sore. They both went to see their doctors yesterday for check-ups. Tyler's doctor had him go and take another CT Scan. He also wants him to get x-rays of his neck area. Tyler has been complaining about headaches (he isn't used to getting them). They were able to get his briefcase from the police. Chrystal says it doesn't really smell all that great -- Tyler had a frozen dinner in there along with his students' papers. The papers weren't ruined, but the frozen dinner is totally dried up. Still haven't been able to get his cell phone back. As for the car, they were told that the police will still have it for at least a week or two more. Chrystal said as soon as they can see the Honda, they plan on taking pictures of it and sending it to Marlin & myself.

They have retained an attorney so they will keep me informed as to how things are going.

Thank you also for keeping the other driver's family in your prayers. They need it just as much, if not more, than the rest of us.

I'll keep you all updated as I hear more.

Thanks again,

Christine :turtle3:

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
WOW this took my breath away reading all this.

glad you two were able to "walk" away from this.
car accidents are really scary and I have been involved in 3 car-to-car accidents and over 15 animal accidents.

I have to thank god for being on my side on every one of those. it goes to show how lucky we really are and how quickly it can be taken.

My prayers go out to you and your hubby as well as the other guys family.

:turtle: 85HOrunner
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile

I want to take this opportunity to remind everyone to always wear your seat belts!!

This guy was just going home because he was tired and not feeling well. He would have lived if he had his belt on. Chrystal, Tyler, don't you ever blame yourselves for this! It was HIS lack of responsibility for his life!!!
absolutley, i used to never wear a seatbelt, mostly because i watched a friend burn to death after a wreck :down: 

but  i wear it now and wish i had when i had my wreck, maybe i would have full use of my brain, right arm and leg  and my back, neck, and pelvis wouldnt have permanent damage

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
Wow, just found this thread, and had no idea about the accident. I'm glad to hear your doing ok. It usually takes a couple of weeks for everything to settle back down after a crash, especially that violent of one. Did Tyler have to have surgery for the spleen injury, or did they just watch that it healed OK? Hope his headaches have gotten better.

Hope your recovery goes well, and glad to hear you're already starting to improve. FFC's right about the physical therapy. I refer all my patients to therapy after even a trivial accident if they're having some pain. Tyler's headaches are likley due to muscle spasm, but as Glen pointed out there are some other things to watch for. If they continue, pursue it with your doc.

Erik
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2009, 10:29:37 PM by germ »
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Ok guys, I have an update.

Chrystal got some pictures and I'm sure she won't mind me sharing them. Check it out:

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Male Posts: 792
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
 :headscratch:  Looks to me like most of the impact happened on the Driver's side.  Maybe two feet to the drivers left and it would of been a hard side swipe or a direct hit of the drivers door.  I'm glad they were just leaving the light and not driving at speed...Hope Tyler and Chrystal,have a speedy recovery will be fine in the end.
 :crossed:

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
Interior held pretty well considering.

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Male Posts: 792
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
Interior held pretty well considering.

The crumble zones work pretty good... :yesnod: .

Maybe Marlin will start building bumpers for "honda"s now.. :dunno:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
:headscratch:  Looks to me like most of the impact happened on the Driver's side.

:yesnod: That is why I argue the passengers side air bag did not deploy.

BigMike

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Simply based on the very first picture, (I'm at work, can't see the others)  the pass. side airbag should have gone off.  That is enough of a frontal impact for the airbags to go off. You'd be amazed (for those of you that haven't seen an airbag go off) at how big they really are, and how much they stop movement, not just front to back, but also side to side.  They tend to "wrap" around the person, which really helps control their momentum in all directions. 

If there is any intent to keep the vehicle (remember, I can't see all the pics)  Make sure the airbag on the pass. side gets inspected.  There are many cases of an airbag not deploying for whatever reason, but having been activated, and going off minutes later, to weeks later, for whatever reason, a slight tap on the bumper, closing the hood, etc. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
that looks like an insurance claim guys.

your pass side air bag should have deployed for sure.

How's the recovery going?
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
After *finally* seeing the pics, I agree - that is WAY too much of an impact for the pass air bag NOT to deploy.

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
 I agree with anybody who said the airbag should have deployed.  When you consider this is a textbook example of how vehicles are crash tested (slightly off to one side in a frontal crash, driver's side in particular) for safety this scenario probably and most likely would have failed that crash test.

Although, someone mentioned the fact that this was possibly a used vehicle  ??? .  In that case, there may still be some recourse, as far as I know, it's against the law (federal law) to willingly or negligently alter or disable any safety system. That includes Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS).  :yesnod:

If for some reason there was no airbag present for deployment then that would let Honda off the hook unless it can be proven that it was never installed in the first place, which may be unlikely. But then, where would you turn to persue the responsible individual(s) for there not being an airbag? ??? This would be a lot tougher.  :thumbdown:

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
Low speed crash video. Impact in the same area. Passenger airbag does go off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBsiPV74Mbs

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Low speed crash video. Impact in the same area. Passenger airbag does go off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBsiPV74Mbs
You don't really see it until the last clip and then you only see it after it's deployed from through the windshield. But yeah, it went off.  :yesnod:

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
Holy smashed Honda, Batman! :yikes:

Wow, the damage is significant, and I'm also surprised that the pass. air bag didn't deploy. :headscratch: :dunno: I suppose the next thing to do would be find out if there was even one installed, and if so, could do a carfax, and see if it was ever in an accident and maybe it didn't get fixed/replaced. Not really knowing the law on these things, it would make sense that if it were repaired, and the shop didn't fix the airbag, they could be liable :dunno: Honestly though, I don't know. I'm just glad they're alive (sorry for the other driver though).

Any update on Crystal and Tyler? are they doing OK? (don't want to pry, but just ensure they're OK)

erik
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
Catching up on the chit-chat... hope you get better soon.

Oh - what boggles my mind is the guy with seizures(most likely) would have lived if he'd been wearing his seat belt, most likely.  Knowing you have such a condition and driving without one...     :shake_head:

CrawlerChick

• Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 203
  • Female Posts: 123
  • Member since Aug '02
  • Crawl on!
    • View Profile
Hello all! Thank you again for the kind words! We are doing well! Tyler is feeling great! He has minor pains and is counting down till he can rock climb. :) I still have a lot of pain thanks to the broken rib but am doing fine. Now we are dealing with the reality of getting another car. We found out today the the guy DID have insurance!! That was a huge relief! Time to get some sleep!  :sleepy:
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Thanks for the update!! So glad to hear you two are feeling better.  Hang in there and take care of that rib.  My uncle is learning the hard way why it's very important to take care of it early on  :shudder:

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Hello all! Thank you again for the kind words! We are doing well! Tyler is feeling great! He has minor pains and is counting down till he can rock climb. :) I still have a lot of pain thanks to the broken rib but am doing fine. Now we are dealing with the reality of getting another car. We found out today the the guy DID have insurance!! That was a huge relief! Time to get some sleep!  :sleepy:
:woohoo:  :woohoo: :woohoo:

so its been another couple weeks how are you guys feeling now :dunno: