Author Topic: Marlin's daughter & son-in-law were involved in a serious car accident, Friday  (Read 16551 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Hey guys,

First, please let me say that Marlin's daughter Chrystal (my sister) and her husband Tyler are OK. Chrystal has a couple bruised ribs and Tyler has some internal bleeding but is doing ok. She has already been released from the hospital but Tyler will remain a couple extra days.

Here is the story: http://www.insidesocal.com/news247/2009/01/head-on-collision-in-redlands.html

Here is what's left of their Honda Passport, on the left:

The news article in the above link is 80% accurate. Chrystal and Tyler are from Running Springs, NOT Redlands.

My sister said they were driving straight (NOT making a corner like the article states) and they had just stopped at a stop sign, began accelerating, and had barely gotten to the other side of the intersection when some dude in a Chrysler 300M smashed into them head-on.

The driver of the Chrysler died. Please say a word or two for his family in your prayers!! And also help me thank God that no one else was as seriously injured!

I'll see if I can get Chrystal in here to comment further..

Good night for now :goodnight:

BigMike
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2009, 12:35:26 AM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
O wow man.  O am sorry to hear this, but I am glad to hear that your sister and husband will be OK.  He must have seriously been moving to end up dying.
I like to Drive!

CrawlerChick

• Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 203
  • Female Posts: 123
  • Member since Aug '02
  • Crawl on!
    • View Profile
Hello all!  :wave: Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. I was released late yesterday with a fractured rib and severe chest bruising. My air bag did not deploy!!! Tyler is still in the hospital  :rivers: with a torn spleen and allover pain, since he was driving.  :driving: His airbag did deploy and he has burn marks on his fingers and forearms from the bag :sick:. However they hope to release him tomorrow :crossed:. The man who hit us was traveling approx.50 mph.  :maddest: He was not wearing a seat belt! God bless his family! We are very, very, lucky!  :turtle3: Now, I am going to attempt to get some sleep.  :red_eyes: :sleeping: :sleepy:
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2009, 12:55:55 AM by CrawlerChick »
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
UPDATE

Here is a second article regarding this:
http://www.insidesocal.com/news247/2009/01/update-highland-man-killed-in.html

The 51-year-old Highland man who was killed this morning in a head-on collision in Redlands has been identified as Phillip Larson.

redlands tc2.jpgPolice investigating the 7 a.m. crash at the intersection of Orange Street and Pioneer Avenue have said Larson had a pre-existing medical condition that caused him to swerve into oncoming traffic and hit the vehicle of a Redlands couple.

Larson was taken to a hospital, where he later died. The couple, a 32-year-old man and his 30-year-old wife, sustained minor injuries.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
However they hope to release him tomorrow :crossed:.

:crossed: X100

He was not wearing a seat belt!

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :bolt:

CrawlerChick: How long did it take for help to arrive?

CrawlerChick

• Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '02
  • Crawl on!
    • View Profile
It felt like forever.... I tried to get out of the truck but my door would not open I even kicked it. So, I laid my seat back and tried to get out the back door which thank god it opened. I crawled out and fell on the sidewalk. I had convinced myself that I could get up and get Tyler out of the car but I had no strength to move. Another driver came over to help me and I just remember telling him he had to get Tyler out since you could smell smoke! By that time Tyler had come to and managed to crawl out the back door hands first. The ambulance showed up right after. So it was probably around 7 minutes or so.
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
Damn that sucks , glad you two are okay . I don't know if you remember me Chrystal , I met you at my work (All-Pro) when your parents came by . Either way , glad to hear you guys were okay and wearing your seatbelts . Hope your husband recovers quick , sad to hear about the other driver , good luck .
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
glad your injuries arent bad, hope tyler recovers quickly!
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
Honda you say?  :bat:   

Just kidding.  Get well soon.    Don't know if its worth mentioning or not but unless you had your airbag turned off it should have deployed too.   May be worth contacting an attorney. 
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
our prayers go out to his famaily and to yours glad your ok... well as ok as you can be

:usa: :beerwhack:
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
WOW thats a bum deal  im glad the marlin family will recover  :inthedark:    It's a shame the other driver died.

This is not the first time a nasty accident has occurred from pre existing medical conditions.    You got ask your self at one point should i really be driving.
I believe it was  last year  not 2 far from me at a toll booth on the parkway I have gone threw many times,   a man with pre existing medical conditions. ( prone 2 sizers  had one that morrning)   hit the toll booth doing 70 and the car exploded. Luckly no one was in the booth  or any cars next 2 him. It's sad  :inthedark:
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
...........I tried to get out of the truck.........

.........get Tyler out of the car............

So........... Is it a car or a truck ? :dunno:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Oh man, I thought this was gonna be another one of those threads  :shudder:  Glad to hear you and the husband are mostly ok and should recover well!  Like drunkle said, you have to wonder if the other driver knew they shouldn't be driving but were doing so anyway.  You don't lift a heavy load when your back is out, and that only hurts you!  Hopefully his family gets through it, and moreover, hopefully he didn't leave behind a family who depended on him.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hello all!  :wave: Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

Glad to hear that you're ok! 

BLAST FROM THE PAST: I'm positve that you wouldn't remember me, but I met you once in Walla Walla.  You came up for a weekend and my roomate, Chris P., and I followed you and Luke back from a banquet. Chris was making sure his headlights were in Luke's eyes (in the side mirror) at every stoplight along the way.  Ironically, I had no idea you're connection to Marlin Crawler until some time after, I barely new about Marlin at that point.  It was sometime during the 2002-03 school year.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
I am glad to hear your both ok and I hope you both recover quickly and fully....  :crossed:
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
:rivers:  OMG  i saw the title and about had a heart attack :yikes:  that darn Mikey  :spankbutt:

Chrystal, i'm so glad you and your husband are ok,  not that broken ribs or a ruptured spleen are "minor" injuries, my prayers for a quick and full recovery :smooch:

but  dont let yourself assume any pains are normal, chances are you both have neck and or back sprains  (i hope not) just dont ignore pains that might come up next week.   my pain didnt peak until 5 days after my wreck
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 97
  • Male Posts: 1,095
  • Member since May '04
  • From Reykjavik Iceland...
    • View Profile
    • R&T
:rivers:  OMG  i saw the title and about had a heart attack :yikes:  that darn Mikey  :spankbutt:

x2
never met any of you... but best of luck to ya and get well...
4runner body on a hilux frame = Hi-Runner.
 2,4 dti duals 2,28 x 2,28 to 8" 5.71 with arb´s  and 39,5" trxus
gathering parts for my goal which is
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
I'm glad your sis and bil came out waaay better than it looks like they should have. It's sad Mr. Larson died...I feel for his family.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
crawlerchic, glad you and mr crawlerchic are ok

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Crystal, I'm glad you and Tyler will recover.  I hope recovery is sooner rather than later.  You and your family will be in my prayers as well as the driver that died and his family.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Male Posts: 792
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
 :ack:  I'm glad to hear that they are both ok... :inthedark: Sorry to hear about the other driver..

« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2009, 06:39:54 PM by V-Man »

Yota1

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 85
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Got Mud?
    • View Profile
    • Muddog4x4
WOW  :yikes:  a terrible thing to happen glad the two of you are safe. It's a shame about the other driver   :headshake: all of you are in our prayers.
AR-TTORA Web Master   www.ar-ttora.com

A wise monkey never monkie's with another monkey's monkey

When in doubt Floor it.

peacesells

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Male Posts: 791
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
glad youre okay and I hope you 2 have a quick recovery. Thats a shame about the other driver.. 8 days ago my neighbors parents house(he just moved out luckily) was driven though end to end by a 55 year old man who had an epileptic seizure. My friend john would have surely been killed were he home at the time...
this my man lysol, fresh out the joint

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Glad the two of you are ok.  Honestly, Dean's accident flashed across my mind when I saw the posts title!  Sad about the other driver, but if you have a known medical condition, you shouldn't drive.  I had a ex girl friends drivers lic. pulled, cause she was having seizures almost daily.  She still hates me to this day, but it's better than having her crash into a vehicle killing somebody.  She had taken out one fence and two stop signs in one week.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Good to hear you guys are ok, to bad about the other driver though. I can't understand how someone with a condition that may cause something like that to happen is allowed to have a license. It's sad, just sad.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Damn you guys are lucky! :yikes: Glad you're alright. :thumbs:

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
Now that things have calmed down a bit and you guys are back home, Mom should be home today, --- I wish you both a speedy recoverly.

Seeing the pic of the cars sure takes your breath away.

Only by a act of God were you able to walk (crawl) away.
Seeing all the fluid on the roadway, its a miracle that a fire did not occur, as a result of the crash.

Its a wonder with all the people driving on drugs, legal or other, that there are not more accidents like this.

Its looks like there was no way to avoid this accident, when the Chrysler going 50 mph.
I am very sorry to hear of the drivers death.

It just goes to show how lucky we are evertime we get behind the wheel to make it to our designation safely.

Love you both, see you guys soon,

Dad
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

brockbuilt85

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 362
  • Male Posts: 1,715
  • Member since Oct '08
  • I do all my own stunts
    • View Profile
wow, glad to hear that you guys are ok, from the looks of it, it could have been much worse. :(
When in doubt, skinny pedal!
Turd Box Build:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=50894.0

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
as far as i know if you have a seizure your doctor is required to alert the dmv

at least here in Arkansas they do
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

CrawlerChick

• Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '02
  • Crawl on!
    • View Profile
Thank you everyone!! You guys are awesome! I must admit that I woke up feeling pretty crappy today. I am having a hard time taking deep breaths but at least I can breathe! Tyler keeps having terrible headaches. I find it prety funny that Tyler remembers having an awesome dream about fishing while he was passed out.

We will be going down the hill to see our primary Docs. tomorrow so hopefully that goes well! We have hired an attorney. After researching about airbags we are pretty confident that it should have deployed.

I feel pretty bad for the drivers family and as a result had a hard time sleeping last night. According to the cops he had been at work and starting feeling really bad so he decided to drive home. Sooooo sad!!!!

Glad to hear that you're ok! 

BLAST FROM THE PAST: I'm positve that you wouldn't remember me, but I met you once in Walla Walla.  You came up for a weekend and my roomate, Chris P., and I followed you and Luke back from a banquet. Chris was making sure his headlights were in Luke's eyes (in the side mirror) at every stoplight along the way.  Ironically, I had no idea you're connection to Marlin Crawler until some time after, I barely new about Marlin at that point.  It was sometime during the 2002-03 school year.

Ha, ha, ha that is funny!! Those were the days.  :greengrin: