Author Topic: Transmission troubles  (Read 1057 times)

colo.toy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
Transmission troubles
« on: Dec 18, 2007, 04:15:12 PM »
I bought an 85 SR5 pickup about a month ago with intentions of building it into a daily driver/ trail rig.  The problem is that recently while driving, it has been getting increasingly more difficult to get it into gear, even with the clutch pushed to the floor.  The owner prior to me had the engine replaced along with the clutch (yes he had the paperwork) just before I bought the truck, so I know its not the clutch going out.  Help??

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
Re: Transmission troubles
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2007, 04:51:08 PM »
Ah yes, just like when I was new!     :welcome:

Could be a number of things.

As easy as no fluid all the way to transmission going bad.

Check;
Fluid level
make sure no leaks
Adjustment of pedal linkages
Shifter seat

if that's not it then it could be the tranny syncro's or even carrier bearings.  That's what happened to me last time, wouldn't go into any gear

:twocents:

I like to Drive!

colo.toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2007, 05:21:28 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I checked the fluid level this morning, and its just below the fill line, and there aren't any visible leaks that I can tell.  How do you check the pedal linkages?  And its been really cold here for the past couple of weeks (0* F at night) could that have something to do with it? would changing the tranny fluid help at all?

DanS

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 434
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2007, 06:09:18 PM »
Yes, the proper fluids are very important, many on this site will recommend various fluids however, up here in Canada we have so many different weather conditions and so many different driving conditions that I tried almost every gear oil and found the 'Deep Purple' to work the best!
Good luck and  :welcome: to  :turtle:
DanS
Wow, been looking at my 4Runner rust away too long, need some inspiration and here I will find it...!

85 Toyota 4Runner, solid axle, 22Re, original paint and graphics and not a straight panel to be found!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2007, 08:58:55 PM »
is the clutch mastercylinder full  ??   if its low,  you may have got some air in the line

also  have someone  get in and mash the clutch while you are under the truck looking at  the  slave  on the bellhousing,  how far does it move??
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -75
  • Male Posts: 504
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2007, 09:05:23 PM »
How many miles this trans got on it? It may be time for a rebuild, if the clutch pedal pressure is correct (engaging and disengaging the clutch,) I would agree with  Dans drop fluid and install proper fluid with climate you live in. In my neck of the woods I run 85w Castrol gear oil with a quart of Lucas climbing additive. PA USA. Colder climates require thinner fluid.

Good luck
2008 Dodge Diesel  (Cummins Rule)
6.7 manual quad 8 foot bed H&S delete, banks air box
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2007, 09:16:53 PM »
yea Marlin recommends 80-90  but  for your weather i would run 50wt  with Lucas  additive
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 620
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2007, 11:12:16 PM »
When it's that cold around here it feels like i'm shifting through a tranny full of pudding or sand.  these guys are right that oil is so thick when it's cold out.  Does it shift better when you've been driving for awhile??

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2007, 07:44:58 AM »
go with a thinner weight oil in that kinda cold like stated before, should help out.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

dt

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -107
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2007, 09:50:05 AM »
sounds like hydraulics to me,check out your master and slave cylinders,first

84pickup

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 335
  • Member since May '07
  • Barnwell Mountain (stock) Texas TrailRiders Jam 08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2007, 11:32:41 AM »
if you end up pulling the tranny check the pilot bearing. a while back ago my tranny was a pain in the a$$ to shift and when i pulled the tranny to look, it turned out that my pressure plate had a groove on the outside, my pilot bearing was bad and maybe some other stuff.
lets not and say we did.

colo.toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2007, 09:51:43 PM »
UPDATE - I changed the transmission fluid to Royal Purple Synchromax Manual Transmission Fluid, and it made a world of difference.  Of course, it didn't help that the fluid that came out of the tranny looked like used motor oil :hammerhead:.  I checked the hydraulics, and everything seems to be wokring well.  the master cylinder is full, and when the clutch is pushed in, the slave works. 

To answer a couple of questions - the tranny has 260,xxx miles on it, so i know a rebuild is in the near future.  I'm going to automotive school, so hopefully I'll be able to do that soon.  Has anyone here rebuilt a Toyota 5-speed? anything weird I should know about?

Also, when the engine was replaced, so was the clutch and pilot bearing (they were at least purchased, I have the receipts), so i don't think that is the problem

Finally, although it is much better than it was, how do you adjust the clutch pedal pressure? it shifts smoother now, but doesn't feel like its letting go of the pressure plate completely.

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2007, 10:25:14 PM »
I line up in Wyoming, and I have the same problem (also an 85), especially with 1st, 2nd, and reverse. It is cold up here as well, and I am running 90 wt, I think. New shifter seat (Marlin's), and I am pretty sure everything is set right. I do loose clutch fluid somewhere, I have to top off the master about once a month, but I can not see where it could be going. I am thinking about changing out the fluid as well. Where did you get the Royal Purple Synchromax Manual Transmission Fluid? Does it shift way better, or just a little bit better? I am tired of mine not going into gear and grinding (only 155,000 on it).