Author Topic: t-case questions  (Read 1973 times)

DieselD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 409
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
t-case questions
« on: Jun 18, 2007, 10:50:55 PM »
Ive done alot of reading and am trying to decide what route to go. I hope to get it right the first time. anyway I have noticed how low most of these cases sit in the stock location. i have also noticed you can get the R10 adapter and rotate it up and out of the way a bit more. my question is how does this affect the front pinion? would you need to run a high pinion 3rd?

what about this whole 23spline. i know its all the rage but is it worth the cash to go with. I plan to stick with the 4 popper for now but you never know what the future holds. I would like to do this right the first time if possible. i know the adapter and gearsets are differnt. figured i would do it while i got everything tore apart

trying to decide if i need to sack up for 4.7 gears.

also twin stick on front or rear case?

sorry if these have been hashed out already :crossed:

thanks in advance

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
Re: t-case questions
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18, 2007, 11:22:36 PM »
on the front drive shaft theres alot of other factors that come in to play with that such as your drivetran lenght the later model trannys where longer than the early model trannys, how far forward your axle has been moved your amount of lift and amount of droop in the suspention are all going to play a role so theres not realy a yes or no answer to that one

about the 23spline if your going duals and 4.7's at the same time use the factory 21spline input for the crawl box and then get the 23spline mco7 or mco7r10 or what ever you choose and then get the 4.7gearset in the 23spline for the rear case, the 23spline gearset and adapter are the same price as the 21spline units if i remember correctly

on the other hand im running duals with the 21spline 4.7's on 39.5 iroks and i beat the unholy crap out of it and i havent had any issues with the transfer case part of the drive train(knock on wood)

the twin stick wont do any good in the front case the front case only has a high, low, and nutral its just he passenger side of the J shift pattern so you would want that in the rear if you deside to go with the twin stick

fullthrottle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 177
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 19, 2007, 03:30:54 AM »
if you go dual cases and 4.7's at the same time get a 23spline adapter and 23 spline 4.7 gears because it caosts the same wether you go 21 or23 in that case.

if you go duals with stock gears in bothe then don't bather it would cost more for nothing,  unless you want that much more peac of mind but it is unnesesary with a 4 cil. and even with a v6.   
SASed 94 pu- marlin crawler 4'' springs, 5.29s aussie R lockright F 30spline longs , crawler box and 37'' SSR's

DieselD [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 19, 2007, 06:49:21 AM »
on the front drive shaft theres alot of other factors that come in to play with that such as your drivetran lenght the later model trannys where longer than the early model trannys, how far forward your axle has been moved your amount of lift and amount of droop in the suspention are all going to play a role so theres not realy a yes or no answer to that one

well was trying to get a "rule of thumb" type of answer. I know there are alot of factors but i am trying to get a game plan on what needs to be done so I can do it right the first time. I am building an 86 excab with a 4cyl and W56 if that helps. overall tire size will be a 36 so lift will be in the 6" range I assume. At this point I am unsure if I will be running leafs or a radias arm type suspension on air shocks. I kinda want to pick up the stuff to gear and lock now so I can build my axles.

so you dont need any type of input gear to change from 21 to 23 spline? just get the adapter and gearset?

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2007, 07:00:18 AM »
If this helps you:
I'm running 36's on Rears-up-front/chevy rears (about 3/4" lift and a lot of sawzall work) dual cases with the rotated adapter and my driveline angles are just fine.

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
« Reply #5 on: Jun 19, 2007, 10:33:41 AM »
Ive done alot of reading and am trying to decide what route to go. I hope to get it right the first time. anyway I have noticed how low most of these cases sit in the stock location. i have also noticed you can get the R10 adapter and rotate it up and out of the way a bit more. my question is how does this affect the front pinion? would you need to run a high pinion 3rd?

what about this whole 23spline. i know its all the rage but is it worth the cash to go with. I plan to stick with the 4 popper for now but you never know what the future holds. I would like to do this right the first time if possible. i know the adapter and gearsets are different. figured i would do it while i got everything tore apart

trying to decide if i need to sack up for 4.7 gears.

also twin stick on front or rear case?

sorry if these have been hashed out already :crossed:

thanks in advance

That's a post!

Duals will eliminate most pinon angle problems you may have.  So basically get the duals, then IF you have pinon problems tackle that.   
Get the rotated adapter.  It's worth it.

If getting both boxes at once, get the 23 spline (same price yes?).  Yes 4.7's are worth the extra money.

Twin stick is just for the back box.  Won't work in the front box.

This assumes you like to play in the rocks and high traction surfaces. 

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

DieselD [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 19, 2007, 05:29:16 PM »
yes I am a rock junkie. Here in az we have mostly rock wash trails

i know the stick question was dumb. I figured it went back there but wasn't sure. again ijust need to make sure to get the right one for the right adapter(rotated)

23 spline is the same price for either the gears or adapter but wasnt sure if there was anything else i needed to make it work?

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 19, 2007, 06:29:04 PM »
to go 23 spline in the rear case you just need the 23spline gearset and the 23spline dual adapter

and with your settup you should be fine without the highpinion and the rotated adapter